Obtainable Point Guards this off-season

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am almost thinking the Suns will draft starting PG, even though it's a rookie, and add a free agent or two at PG. As much as guys don't like it, Tyler Johnson will probably be our veteran PG.

However, Gambo did say Suns trying to move the sixth pick, so who knows? Maybe it's a trade for Ball or Lowry?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am almost thinking the Suns will draft starting PG, even though it's a rookie, and add a free agent or two at PG. As much as guys don't like it, Tyler Johnson will probably be our veteran PG.

However, Gambo did say Suns trying to move the sixth pick, so who knows? Maybe it's a trade for Ball or Lowry?

If Tyler Johnson is our "veteran PG", we are screwed, and the hiring of Monty Williams was a waste of time.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's assume we get him. I have no problems with him as a player. Second assumption, we still have Josh Jackson. Can you imagine the scenarios with those two on your team? :)

Actually we would not have Jackson - we would have to make salary space, and him warren and Johnson are the players that have to go to free up 30+ million.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score

If we're going to start another rookie at PG, then why not make an offer to Memphis for Ja. Our future assets are minimal at this point. We already have too many "potential" players. Trade multiple picks plus multiple players with "potential" and go get Ja.

And while we're at it, gage the price for Zion as well. We don't need another maybe. This team desperately needs some heavy hitters at PG or PF. See if NO is willing to part with Zion for a bounty.

And why in the world would Ball be in the mix for our 6th pick? Are they giving us Kuzma too? Ball is hardly worth a late 1st at this point.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If we're going to start another rookie at PG, then why not make an offer to Memphis for Ja. Our future assets are minimal at this point. We already have too many "potential" players. Trade multiple picks plus multiple players with "potential" and go get Ja.

And while we're at it, gage the price for Zion as well. We don't need another maybe. This team desperately needs some heavy hitters at PG or PF. See if NO is willing to part with Zion for a bounty.

And why in the world would Ball be in the mix for our 6th pick? Are they giving us Kuzma too? Ball is hardly worth a late 1st at this point.
No one wants our pupu platter for Zion and ja

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Would you trade Zion for anything right now if you were the Pels? You have control, he has superstar potential, he wants to be there. Good grief, there is nothing they could trade for that is more valuable than that. There is NO single player in the league I would trade Zion for if I was the Pels. The only one I would consider is ALREADY on their team.

Memphis is not going to trade Ja to us. He is perfect for them. They are already shopping Conley.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Would you trade Zion for anything right now if you were the Pels? You have control, he has superstar potential, he wants to be there. Good grief, there is nothing they could trade for that is more valuable than that. There is NO single player in the league I would trade Zion for if I was the Pels. The only one I would consider is ALREADY on their team.

Memphis is not going to trade Ja to us. He is perfect for them. They are already shopping Conley.
Also, Magic Johnson is telling everyone, and I'm sure Zion has heard it by now, that the Pels are the best place for him to go because of Coach Gentry.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score

Would I trade Zion for anything? No. But I learned a long time ago that there are some very foolish people roaming the halls of professional franchises. You know, like people that would trade up for a guy like Markelle Fultz or draft Johnny Manziel. You make the call to NO and Memphis and gage the price range. Throw #6 and as many unprotected future 1sts that you can plus other pieces and see what they do. You never know what's going on on the other end of that line. Plus, who knows what will happen between then and now. Things could fall apart in NO (albeit unlikely).

If it goes nowhere, fine. You took a shot.

And Ja is NOT Zion. There is definitely a price range for him. It just depends on how much they are asking for and how much we're willing to give. The #6 and future 1sts (from a failing franchise) can hold tremendous value to some teams.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would I trade Zion for anything? No. But I learned a long time ago that there are some very foolish people roaming the halls of professional franchises. You know, like people that would trade up for a guy like Markelle Fultz or draft Johnny Manziel. You make the call to NO and Memphis and gage the price range. Throw #6 and as many unprotected future 1sts that you can plus other pieces and see what they do. You never know what's going on on the other end of that line. Plus, who knows what will happen between then and now. Things could fall apart in NO (albeit unlikely).

If it goes nowhere, fine. You took a shot.

And Ja is NOT Zion. There is definitely a price range for him. It just depends on how much they are asking for and how much we're willing to give. The #6 and future 1sts (from a failing franchise) can hold tremendous value to some teams.

I think Ja is obtainable. I think the Grizzlies interviewing Igor might actually help us also, if he lands the job there. If he does become their coach and there are talks, or even an inquiry by the Suns for their pick, you would think they'd ask Igor if there is anyone from this team that he wants. If there is or not is debatable, who knows, but with what happened to Igor in Phoenix, I could see them being open to trading the pick that would be Ja to allow Igor a chance to run an offense that isn't hindered by a rookie PG, even if that rookie PG is much better than the rookie PG's he had in Phoenix.

It does not hurt to ask. What worries me is that I think Igor would ask for Bridges and I do not think he should be dealt with the #6 pick for #2, to select Ja. I like Bridges a lot and see him as a future Sixth Man for the Suns, at the least. I also believe he'll make an All-Defensive team before his rookie contract is up. You do not let a player like that go before his value is actually established enough that we can receive a fair return. Bridges missing the All-Rookie teams this year means that the odds of receiving fair value for him are slim. I honestly don't think I'd trade him alone for the #2 pick, when you include the #6 pick with him that should cause our GM to hang up on the other team, possibly blocking their number also.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does not hurt to ask. What worries me is that I think Igor would ask for Bridges and I do not think he should be dealt with the #6 pick for #2, to select Ja. I like Bridges a lot and see him as a future Sixth Man for the Suns, at the least. I also believe he'll make an All-Defensive team before his rookie contract is up. You do not let a player like that go before his value is actually established enough that we can receive a fair return. Bridges missing the All-Rookie teams this year means that the odds of receiving fair value for him are slim. I honestly don't think I'd trade him alone for the #2 pick, when you include the #6 pick with him that should cause our GM to hang up on the other team, possibly blocking their number also.

I really do not want to trade Bridges for one of those mediocre or rental guards we've talked about but if we're convinced that Morant is a future star at PG, I'd move Mikal and the 6th pick for Ja. But notice I said "IF we're convinced" and I'm stressing the "if" because I'm not fully convinced.

Our need for a quality guard that can be here for the long run is so great that I'd be willing to part with Bridges despite the fact he's already one of my favorite players to watch out there. And if he really is going to be a very good point guard, I think that's fair value coming back to us. But I'm not sure Memphis would feel the same way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really do not want to trade Bridges for one of those mediocre or rental guards we've talked about but if we're convinced that Morant is a future star at PG, I'd move Mikal and the 6th pick for Ja. But notice I said "IF we're convinced" and I'm stressing the "if" because I'm not fully convinced.

Our need for a quality guard that can be here for the long run is so great that I'd be willing to part with Bridges despite the fact he's already one of my favorite players to watch out there. And if he really is going to be a very good point guard, I think that's fair value coming back to us. But I'm not sure Memphis would feel the same way.
The problem with moving Mikal is that you will not only miss his play, but his type of attitude and play has a team culture impact. That is extremely valuable. I would rather move other players or picks if I could.

I just do not think a trade for Ja will be reasonably available.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with moving Mikal is that you will not only miss his play, but his type of attitude and play has a team culture impact. That is extremely valuable. I would rather move other players or picks if I could.

I just do not think a trade for Ja will be reasonably available.

Sure, I would too. But short of Ayton or Booker I don't think anyone on the roster has anywhere near the value of Mikal and we're not getting the number 2 pick for just the 6 and a couple of lesser players (Jackson, Warren etc.). Maybe they'd be interested in Warren, Jackson, the Milwaukee pick, the 6 this year and a future pick? Anyway, I'd agree with your last sentence, the likelihood of us moving up for Ja is very slim if that.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So in theory, IF (notice big IF) we were convinced Ja was THAT good, again I don't think he's a can't miss good, then I wouldn't even have a problem using next year's number one to nab our potentially future PG. IF he IS that good, then you have a season of Booker, Ayton and Ja. That would get some butts in the stands. I don't know if it's posturing, but Perry is already talking Ja up for his roster this year. Is there that big a difference between Ja and Garland (edited) who all the mocks have us picking? Worth the amount of difference to use our next year's first round pick?

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So in theory, IF (notice big IF) we were convinced Ja was THAT good, again I don't think he's a can't miss good, then I wouldn't even have a problem using next year's number one to nab our potentially future PG...Garrett who all the mocks have us picking? Worth the amount of difference to use our next year's first round pick?

I'm not sure if you're teasing me or imitating me but I have learned the hard way that if you phrase something conditionally you better stress the heck out of it or some people will take you to task later for guaranteeing it would happen.

Just out of curiosity though, when you said Garrett did you mean Garland or Barrett or did someone splice their genes and clone an actual Garrett?:cool:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you're teasing me or imitating me but I have learned the hard way that if you phrase something conditionally you better stress the heck out of it or some people will take you to task later for guaranteeing it would happen.

Just out of curiosity though, when you said Garrett did you mean Garland or Barrett or did someone splice their genes and clone an actual Garrett?:cool:
Garland. I keep calling him Garrett for some reason.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
NOW:

Free Agency: Irving, Walker, Russell, Brogdon

Trade: Lonzo Ball and Kyle Lowry

Draft: Darius Garland and Coby White

Previously:

You must be registered for see images attach

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NOW:

Free Agency: Irving, Walker, Russell, Brogdon

Trade: Lonzo Ball and Kyle Lowry

Draft: Darius Garland and Coby White

Previously:

You must be registered for see images attach

In my opinion this list is hella optomistic.

1. Realistically Irving is not interested, Russell will be matched unless the nets find a pg they like better - only Kyrie could possibly fit that bill(so in other words it is extreemly unlikely) Brogdon it's at least 50/50 he resigns with the bucks, and there is a 90% chance several teams contemplate offers to him.

So for those 3 I say 10% at best suns could get one of them.

2. These 2 could be available - they could also easily both not be available. I am not excited about either one. Actually with the right offer we probably would have a good shot at getting Lonzo - but would that be a good idea? He is injury prone and not a good shooter, and the price for him is probably more than he is worth.

3. Garland and White. Neither is ready to be a distributor like so many think we need. White is a bad ball handler, and frequently is just as out of control as Josh Jackson. I do not think he is any kind of answer to our PG hole at least not for a couple seasons if he can develop. Garland while I think he can be a good scorer/shooter right off the bat is not a classic PG. Most likely the Lakers are going to take him at 4 anyway.

So the way I see it, only Lonzo, and White are actually realistically obtainable from your list. And in my opinion neither will adequately fill our PG hole.

I actually am more in favor of going after somebody like Collison or Patrick Beverley as a stop gap because I don't see any long term answer available too us unless we get real lucky.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
In my opinion this list is hella optomistic.

1. Realistically Irving is not interested, Russell will be matched unless the nets find a pg they like better - only Kyrie could possibly fit that bill(so in other words it is extreemly unlikely) Brogdon it's at least 50/50 he resigns with the bucks, and there is a 90% chance several teams contemplate offers to him.

So for those 3 I say 10% at best suns could get one of them.

2. These 2 could be available - they could also easily both not be available. I am not excited about either one. Actually with the right offer we probably would have a good shot at getting Lonzo - but would that be a good idea? He is injury prone and not a good shooter, and the price for him is probably more than he is worth.

3. Garland and White. Neither is ready to be a distributor like so many think we need. White is a bad ball handler, and frequently is just as out of control as Josh Jackson. I do not think he is any kind of answer to our PG hole at least not for a couple seasons if he can develop. Garland while I think he can be a good scorer/shooter right off the bat is not a classic PG. Most likely the Lakers are going to take him at 4 anyway.

So the way I see it, only Lonzo, and White are actually realistically obtainable from your list. And in my opinion neither will adequately fill our PG hole.

I actually am more in favor of going after somebody like Collison or Patrick Beverley as a stop gap because I don't see any long term answer available too us unless we get real lucky.

At this point, get Collison or Teague to start, maybe draft Garland or White to groom behind him, and call it a day.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At this point, get Collison or Teague to start, maybe draft Garland or White to groom behind him, and call it a day.

Yeah that is probably the best we can do - and I don't know about you but that depresses me - because it is likely going to be worse than that.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah that is probably the best we can do - and I don't know about you but that depresses me - because it is likely going to be worse than that.

I would be okay with that result (Collison or Teague starting at the point). My fear is that we end up with Tyler Johnson starting at the point with Okobo and Melton as the only other "point guards" on the roster, in other words a repeat of last year's disaster.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I would be okay with that result. My fear is that we end up with Tyler Johnson starting at the point with Okobo and Melton as the only other "point guards" on the roster, in other words a repeat of last year's disaster.
Isn't the danger that with Tyler Johnson (or Okobo or Melton) playing Point Guard
anytime that Booker is on the court, Book will wind up covering the responsibilities
of Point Guard?

The proof? That is exactly what happened this past season. Not just being a
distributor, but bringing the ball up the court next to a low quality Point Guard.

And with no talented Point Guard to feed him.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Isn't the danger that with Tyler Johnson (or Okobo or Melton) playing Point Guard
anytime that Booker is on the court, Book will wind up covering the responsibilities
of Point Guard?

The proof? That is exactly what happened this past season. Not just being a
distributor, but bringing the ball up the court next to a low quality Point Guard.

And with no talented Point Guard to feed him.

I'm not at all saying this is what I want. I am saying it is what I fear will happen.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Why is Collison available? I see he is the Pacers starting PG, or at least listed as that on their depth chart.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Jeff Teague:

currently injured after ankle surgery. Then there's this:

Jeff Teague reportedly exercised a player option in his contract Friday to remain with the Minnesota Timberwolves for the 2019-20 NBA season.

Shams Charania of Stadium and The Athletic reported the update. Teague will earn a $19 million base salary next season and be eligible for unrestricted free agency in 2020, per Spotrac.