Miller once again does it again!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Baker will step in nicely, then, when Green and Mannion go one and done.

Mannion and Baker are friends, played together in AAU for years while Nico was "playing up".

I think Nico is a 2 year guy, he's really good but I don't see him going 1 and done, Green I can see doing it.

Baker is a good shooter.

Brown would be a terrific get I think he'll be a very good college player when he finally gets a chance to play.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Mannion and Baker are friends, played together in AAU for years while Nico was "playing up".

I think Nico is a 2 year guy, he's really good but I don't see him going 1 and done, Green I can see doing it.

Baker is a good shooter.

Brown would be a terrific get I think he'll be a very good college player when he finally gets a chance to play.

Nico has been Top-10 in a few early mock drafts. Obviously, take it with a grain of salt, but the kid is on the national radar in terms of his professional career.

It depends on how he shows up in college. If he continues at his current trajectory, he should be OAD. If he plateaus, he should be in school for two years. It'd most certainly help as I don't think Miller is going to have a very good 2020 recruiting class.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Nico has been Top-10 in a few early mock drafts. Obviously, take it with a grain of salt, but the kid is on the national radar in terms of his professional career.

It depends on how he shows up in college. If he continues at his current trajectory, he should be OAD. If he plateaus, he should be in school for two years. It'd most certainly help as I don't think Miller is going to have a very good 2020 recruiting class.

Because of the uncertainty of the NCAA investigation?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He's really good I just don't see him as a kid who's that anxious to get there I think he's got a level head and the right support people around him that he'll probably stay 2 years and be better prepared. now obviously if he blows up as a freshman and ESPN is right and he's a top 6 pick then yes you go. I see him right now as a 12-18 kind of pick this year. To be fair I think right now the 21 draft projects to be better than the 20 draft so if he can go high in 20 maybe he will. Outside of Wiseman, Carey and Cole Anthony there's probably no locks for top 10 in the upcoming draft.. I think Carey could actually tumble too given Duke's habit of lowering draft stock on bigs.

So I guess I'm convincing myself Nico probably could go OAD and go quite high, he's more polished. The big thing he did is he really improved his shooting his last year in HS, he was good before but he's much more consistent now, with his athleticism and feel that was really the one thing he needed to improve and he did. I still prefer Cole Anthony overall but Nico is going to be a terrific college player and probably play in the NBA for 10 years.

Green is 6 months older and probably more physically ready but I guess the question on him is will he be a 2 or 3 in the NBA. Great player really like him.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
He's really good I just don't see him as a kid who's that anxious to get there I think he's got a level head and the right support people around him that he'll probably stay 2 years and be better prepared. now obviously if he blows up as a freshman and ESPN is right and he's a top 6 pick then yes you go. I see him right now as a 12-18 kind of pick this year. To be fair I think right now the 21 draft projects to be better than the 20 draft so if he can go high in 20 maybe he will. Outside of Wiseman, Carey and Cole Anthony there's probably no locks for top 10 in the upcoming draft.. I think Carey could actually tumble too given Duke's habit of lowering draft stock on bigs.

So I guess I'm convincing myself Nico probably could go OAD and go quite high, he's more polished. The big thing he did is he really improved his shooting his last year in HS, he was good before but he's much more consistent now, with his athleticism and feel that was really the one thing he needed to improve and he did. I still prefer Cole Anthony overall but Nico is going to be a terrific college player and probably play in the NBA for 10 years.

Green is 6 months older and probably more physically ready but I guess the question on him is will he be a 2 or 3 in the NBA. Great player really like him.

I think Nico will be similar to Coby White. He will need to be the primary scorer for Arizona because we won’t have the shooters or reliable scorers to surround him with. He’s got better handles than White but a worse Nba frame... My best lazy comp is Oregon Ridnour. I remember him used to work over Jason Gardner haha.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Nico will be similar to Coby White. He will need to be the primary scorer for Arizona because we won’t have the shooters or reliable scorers to surround him with. He’s got better handles than White but a worse Nba frame... My best lazy comp is Oregon Ridnour. I remember him used to work over Jason Gardner haha.

Better PG than Ridnour I don't know if he's that good of a shooter yet but Ridnour wasn't as a freshman either. Very good player.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I think Mike Bibby is a better lazy comp...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the #1 class is no more. Precious Achiuwa is "taking his talents" to Memphis and they are now the #1 class.

Will be interesting to see how that works, I assume Sam Mitchell is going to be the one actually coaching that team but who knows. They are loaded with athletes on paper that's for sure.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Well the #1 class is no more. Precious Achiuwa is "taking his talents" to Memphis and they are now the #1 class.

Will be interesting to see how that works, I assume Sam Mitchell is going to be the one actually coaching that team but who knows. They are loaded with athletes on paper that's for sure.

I no longer judge “classes” by McDonalds All Americans and guys that Dukie V calls “diaper dandies.” Either turn guys like Ayton into wins or recruit guys like Derrick Williams

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Randolph and Doutrive are probably gone opening up room for Jordan Brown. I can’t believe Dylan Smith night come back but he’s okay in a small role off the bench... Even if Mannion and Green are OAD we should still have some talent in 2020-21’. That will be B-Will’s boom year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I no longer judge “classes” by McDonalds All Americans and guys that Dukie V calls “diaper dandies.” Either turn guys like Ayton into wins or recruit guys like Derrick Williams

Oh I agree I just meant ranking. Arizona's class fits perfectly into what they had coming back they needed more guard and wing play and got it.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Randolph and Doutrive are probably gone opening up room for Jordan Brown. I can’t believe Dylan Smith night come back but he’s okay in a small role off the bench... Even if Mannion and Green are OAD we should still have some talent in 2020-21’. That will be B-Will’s boom year.
I think Dylan Smith in a minimal role is fine. When he’s asked to play >15 min is a problem

I’d rather keep Doutrive though, but whatever’s bothering him seems to be too much for him to cope with

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’m just excited to see real guard play again point guard U. It’s been a loooong time.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Dylan Smith in a minimal role is fine. When he’s asked to play >15 min is a problem

I’d rather keep Doutrive though, but whatever’s bothering him seems to be too much for him to cope with

I think what's bothering him is Miller giving undeserved playing time to Dylan Smith and Barcello over him last season, and I can't say that I blame him.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think bringing in Baker was the last straw.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doutrive and Randolph are gone. Shouldn’t be an issue unless the recruits don’t show for whatever reason.

I think he was a bit over his head at UA anyways. He was a good get when the class fell apart and Miller needed bodies but once it became clear the next class or two was going to be loaded, it seemed inevitable he'd be gently nudged to find another program.

With Randolph I suspect Miller already knew he wasn't coming back, I doubt he would have taken Baker if he thought Randolph might stay.

I fully expect both Mannion and Green to show up but it is interesting that elite recruit RJ Hampton reclassified and then surprised everyone by committing to go play pro ball in New Zealand. He turned down, Kansas, Memphis and Texas Tech after earlier dropping Duke and UK. Green is of course from Australia but it seems like if he had any interest in playing pro there he'd have already made that apparent.

I wonder if Hampton is just another one off or if there actually will be a trend of elite kids choosing overseas or the G League.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I think Miller still gets suspended over the lack of control stipulation but I don’t see more than a few games/hefty fine and probation. It’s interesting that judge referenced Arizona losing recruits over the initial investigation. It doesn’t seem like his place but I’ll take it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So to be clear. Under oath he said he wasn't a bad guy and only did it because he was broke. He'd spent so much of his own money paying recruits to go to arizona that he often had no money despite a good salary(250K a year).

now he's saying in the story he NEVER paid any recruit or player. Unless he just means of the ones named in the FBI case, they can't both be true. Either he perjured himself in the trial by saying that to get sympathy from the jury and judge, I needed money, or he's lying now when he says he never paid any money to kids, they're directly contradictory statements they can't both be true?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI in the statement from UA's legal counsel he says Arizona is now facing the prospect of "significant NCAA sanctions" and that the NCAA investigation is just now getting underway. The 2nd part contradicts what Scheer has been screaming for months, that they already investigated Arizona and found nothing. The first part if they were the victim, no players were actually paid, and everything was just being discussed but didn't actually happen, what would the signficant sanctions be for? I can understand Book getting a show cause, he should, he clearly tried to break the rules repeatedly. Pasternack might get whacked and Phelps too.

But if Book is telling the truth about what he did and didn't do why would Arizona get significant sanctions?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
So to be clear. Under oath he said he wasn't a bad guy and only did it because he was broke. He'd spent so much of his own money paying recruits to go to arizona that he often had no money despite a good salary(250K a year).

now he's saying in the story he NEVER paid any recruit or player. Unless he just means of the ones named in the FBI case, they can't both be true. Either he perjured himself in the trial by saying that to get sympathy from the jury and judge, I needed money, or he's lying now when he says he never paid any money to kids, they're directly contradictory statements they can't both be true?

The only truth we know is that there’s no proof anyone from Arizona paid a recruit or their family. It’s certainly possible Book is lying is something but I think it’s more likely he never really “played ball” and just took guilty plea because the bribery charges were proven.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
FYI in the statement from UA's legal counsel he says Arizona is now facing the prospect of "significant NCAA sanctions" and that the NCAA investigation is just now getting underway. The 2nd part contradicts what Scheer has been screaming for months, that they already investigated Arizona and found nothing. The first part if they were the victim, no players were actually paid, and everything was just being discussed but didn't actually happen, what would the signficant sanctions be for? I can understand Book getting a show cause, he should, he clearly tried to break the rules repeatedly. Pasternack might get whacked and Phelps too.

But if Book is telling the truth about what he did and didn't do why would Arizona get significant sanctions?

I think some of that is Sheer being Sheer. The NCAA cleared Ayton, Rawle, Quinerly etc to be eligible but not Arizona. It’ll be a while before we know the ruling.