Miller once again does it again!

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

There are a lot of rival hoops fans, media members, and lawyers who owe Sean Miller and Arizona an apology and some money.
Never happen, those knuckleheads will claim they were going off rumored evidence they never saw or heard. You think Bilas or Greenberg is going to take back his criticism of Miller and his calling for him to be fired and never be allowed to coach in NCAA again?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Never happen, those knuckleheads will claim they were going off rumored evidence they never saw or heard. You think Bilas or Greenberg is going to take back his criticism of Miller and his calling for him to be fired and never be allowed to coach in NCAA again?

There’s no backpedaling from the way Bilas, Greenberg, Vitale etc have acted since this story came out. I remember Bilas defending Miller after the FBI report and then went nuclear on him after the ESPN story. He said he trusts Mark Schlabach’s reporting and has been on the warpath ever since.

It’ll be interesting to see how ESPN handles this. There won’t be a mass apology but they’ll get rid of Schlabach and pin everything on him.

Then again would it really be that shocking if ESPN continued to stand by a report that they edited 5 times, the guy who broke the story never heard the call, the call was never played in court and both guys on the call denied that the call exists?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL Dawkins was convicted today. Not sure who's a bigger moron: Haney for thinking he was going to win, or Dawkins for hiring him.

Either way, we all lose.

He was not guilty on 4 of the 6 charges so I think he's probably happy with Haney. They essentially ruled he didn't bribe Book or Bland, any money they took was due to the FBI. IF you read the reports the jury didn't believe in those 4 charges that the schools were a victim, the only one they did was the Lamont Evans one.

Obviously Dawkins confirmed there was no conversation with he and Miller about Ayton so Schlabach was wrong on that story

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
He was not guilty on 4 of the 6 charges so I think he's probably happy with Haney. They essentially ruled he didn't bribe Book or Bland, any money they took was due to the FBI. IF you read the reports the jury didn't believe in those 4 charges that the schools were a victim, the only one they did was the Lamont Evans one.

Obviously Dawkins confirmed there was no conversation with he and Miller about Ayton so Schlabach was wrong on that story
He had more guilty verdicts than any other defendant. It was a drawn-out exhibition that didn’t need to happen and it cost him in the end. The writing was on the wall: he was always going to be convicted

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He had more guilty verdicts than any other defendant. It was a drawn-out exhibition that didn’t need to happen and it cost him in the end. The writing was on the wall: he was always going to be convicted

Right I'm responding to you saying he shouldn't have hired Haney. Haney got him off 4 charges including wire fraud, conspiracy to commit wire fraud, and travel act violations. Code got off bribery entirely, Dawkins had one count of bribery related to Lamont Evans.

Clearly the ESPN story was wrong they were talking about the Dawkins and Book tape and reported it was Dawkins and Miller. They need to correct that.

Note if you've seen the full quote from Dawkins he was directly asked if he has knowledge of Miller paying players and said he doesn't want to answer it. But the way it's worded he sure seems to think Miller was paying players

You must be registered for see images attach

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The SI legal guy covering this case is a good follow...

Read his story on the case. He says a theory among legal experts on the case is the FBI intended to use Dawkins to start bribing prominent head coaches they had reason to believe were cheating(from the wiretaps) but they never got that far. The reason they never got that far again is that TJ Gassnola and Jim Gatto started to get really nervous about the actions of the FBI guy handing out the money, "Jeff D'Angelo" and they thought he might be undercover. When the FBI heard them on tape discussing that, they ended the investigation and started arresting people.

Presumably that's why Haney wanted to put Miller on the stand, they wanted to show that the government was setting up his client to bribe coaches that he wouldn't have otherwise been bribing, and Miller was going to be the example of a coach the FBI believed was cheating but wanted to get taking a bribe so they could arrest him.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score

You can’t undo the damage that they did. Sue their ass off

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can’t undo the damage that they did. Sue their ass off

Waste of time and energy. And right now, as far as UA is concerned, it's better to stay out of the public's eye for anything that isn't typical basketball stuff.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'd leave well enough alone. We had a nightmare of a year and a half, but especially if we now get Jordan Brown, we're very much back on track, and now just maybe Sean Miller will have to prove he can actually coach instead of just recruit.

TJ

Reaction score
I would think Arizona and Sean Miller would want this matter to go away.

I have no idea what they want. The PR department has been weak in terms of how it's approached all of the negative publicity. A lawsuit might be difficult to come by because Miller is a public figure, but to at least categorically challenge each of the bogus claims.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Nah you just let this go to the ether. You’ve got a great class coming in. You have a great season and just let everyone forget about this.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what they want. The PR department has been weak in terms of how it's approached all of the negative publicity. A lawsuit might be difficult to come by because Miller is a public figure, but to at least categorically challenge each of the bogus claims.

I think it's best to let this matter go away. Pursuing a lawsuit would only keep the issue front and center.

Maybe that's why the public relations department has been so quiet.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think it's best to let this matter go away. Pursuing a lawsuit would only keep the issue front and center.

Maybe that's why the public relations department has been so quiet.
I would sue ESPN to give them something to think about before they run these kinds of stories in the future. Put the fear of legal retribution in them so they don’t think they can get away with something like this again. If they don’t have tangible evidence then they can’t run hack piece stories.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Best thing we could do is be one of the best teams in the country and limit ESPN's access. Not that they'd spend much time covering Arizona, but if we can get to a top 5 ranking, it could hurt ESPN's bottom line to not have the same access they usually do with teams in the same spot.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Best thing we could do is be one of the best teams in the country and limit ESPN's access. Not that they'd spend much time covering Arizona, but if we can get to a top 5 ranking, it could hurt ESPN's bottom line to not have the same access they usually do with teams in the same spot.
UofA can’t hurt ESPN unless they win the championship and do that. Anything else is a flea on ESPN’s back. And it could backfire in terms of recruiting if Zona isn’t getting airtime.

TJ

Reaction score
I would sue ESPN to give them something to think about before they run these kinds of stories in the future. Put the fear of legal retribution in them so they don’t think they can get away with something like this again. If they don’t have tangible evidence then they can’t run hack piece stories.

Ideally, yes. But the school and Miller have spent millions of dollars managing this issue, and the chance of him winning based on Miller's standing as a public employee is nil. From a cost/benefit perspective, it might be best to publicly counter each of the claims and continue to reinforce support for the coaching staff.

Arizona isn't going to cut off its nose to save its face. I could see Miller telling College Game Day if it got that far to either not bother showing up or to deny Bilas and others access to McKale, but that'd be the extent of it.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Miller does it again. Crazy how he can recruit even with the FBI investigation.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Miller does it again. Crazy how he can recruit even with the FBI investigation.

Is this the Kentucky transfer? If so, does he need to sit out a season?

Still need another big, but nice get.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is this the Kentucky transfer? If so, does he need to sit out a season?

Still need another big, but nice get.

Yes and yes. Miller's next target is Jordan Brown.