Miller once again does it again!

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
That's the irony what he and Cal are doing is not winning them titles. You do wonder how Coach K rationalized reporting Shabazz because he did NOT pick Duke and then getting all these kids paid money to go to Duke and he freely takes them.

My biggest hope from the start of this whole FBI story was somehow Duke and UK would get nailed, sure doesn't seem like it

Duke, UK, and UNC will never be held accountable. Maybe Michigan State or Kansas. But no east coast blue bloods. That’s not on the agenda

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Book is now on record claiming Miller paid Ayton out of his pocket. I can’t really see that happening but the damage is done and Miller/AZ are still not responding to anything. Even though CBB is a nasty business there’s no excuse for Miller keeping Book on staff and that’s the head coaches call. The warning signs were there before this investigation started.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Book is now on record claiming Miller paid Ayton out of his pocket. I can’t really see that happening but the damage is done and Miller/AZ are still not responding to anything. Even though CBB is a nasty business there’s no excuse for Miller keeping Book on staff and that’s the head coaches call. The warning signs were there before this investigation started.

This shows that Miller is a fool for keeping Book on his staff. Book should've been clipped when it was found out that he was PGU's source for inside information.

That said, the FBI has investigated Miller and the UofA basketball team for two years, raided Miller's house, subpoenaed computers, and thoroughly researched financial records. If what Book is alleging is true, why didn't it come up in this investigation? Either Miller is really good at paying players under the table or Book Richardson is full of it. We know at this point that Book went rogue on Miller for about a year or so.

What I find fascinating is that Book claims he went broke paying players out of his pocket. If that's true, he's an idiot. If not, he's trying to scam con artists.

This whole thing is bizarre. At the end of the day, the optics are bad.

TJ

Reaction score
Christian Dawkins just testified that he made up a recruit to pocket money for himself. This guy and his attorney are the biggest idiots on the planet.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Christian Dawkins just testified that he made up a recruit to pocket money for himself. This guy and his attorney are the biggest idiots on the planet.

That came out last week in testimony, he just confirmed it.

It's somewhat misleading but agreed it's stupid and greedy. It was him and Preston Murphy the assistant at Creighton. The player was Marcus Phillips, who doesn't exist, but Creighton did have Marcus Foster. The reason the defense is bringing this up is they're trying to show that Dawkins wasn't bribing assistant coaches into violating the honest services clause in their contract. That is they were only breaking NCAA rules becuase he was bribing them to do so. That's why they're trying to show that the assistants were breaking rules years before Dawkins was involved, that Miller (in their opinion) was breaking rules despite not being paid at all by Dawkins, and that in this case they literally invented a player to scam 6K out of Blazer and the FBI undercover agent(that they didn't know was FBI).

So his admitting this is not stupid, it's part of his defense plan, we were not bribing people we were trying to make money. There was also some discussion that if Blazer or the undercover guy ever found out Phillips didn't actually exist, they were going to tell him it was Foster, you must have heard us wrong, and then say unfortunately that kid never made the NBA(they had said Phillips was a first rounder for sure).

I think Dawkins is guilty as hell but I think Haney is right on THIS part of the case, coaches have been breaking NCAA rules for years. If you followed last weeks testimony Book said on one of these tapes that he outbid an SEC school for a kid from Louisiana and got him several years ago but the kid wound up transferring and he found out later Lil Wayne was involved somehow in the recruitment. That kid was of course was Craig Victor who committed to Arizona in 13 and transferred mid freshman year to LSU. Christian Dawkins was a 20 year old AAU director when Victor was being bought by Book(according to Book's own statements). So his entire defense is this guy Book was buying players as early as 2013 by his own admission(he apparently admitted as far back as 2010) and I wasn't paying him a penny then. I wasn't bribing him to violate his contract he'd been doing that for years.

Where Dawkins case falls apart IMO is that the reason he was paying Book is he wanted access to players so he could make money off them if they made the NBA, which IMO is still bribery, just not the kind of bribery the FBI alleged in that one charge.

In one of the later reports today on Twitter Dawkins is quoted as saying the money he got from the FBI(he didn't know they were FBI) he deposited in his business' bank account. He didn't want to bribe assistants because he knew they had no say for the most part, kids already had agents by that time and the only coaches who could control them were head coaches and they made so much money they didn't need to be paid they just needed the agent to help them get kids to their school. He told the FBI guy if you want to pay coaches just to be Santa Claus go ahead but it makes no business sense. Again he is trying to counter the bribery part of the charges.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

I really don’t know what Haney is doing at this point. It’s like he’s trolling his own client trying to make him look worse by the day. Tomorrow is supposed to be the last day and we still haven’t heard Miller’s voice or seen his texts messages. From what I’ve gathered it’s not because the judge won’t allow it either...

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My theory from Yesterday is the tape played yesterday probably is the Schlabach tape. He wrote 100K and they have Miller on tape talking to Dawkins. The actual tape is Book talking to Dawkins about Miller paying 10K a month to ayton. If you do the math June to March 10K a month equals 100K. So unless they unveil the actual tape soon my guess is Schlabach was given details of the tape played yesterday but the details were not totally accurate so 10K a month and Book became 100K and Miller on tape?

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They are all done today and tomorrow they begin the closing arguments. No tape recording of Miller paying Ayton. I know it won't happen but Schlabach needs to be fired

TJ

Reaction score
Sounds like barring a last-minute change of heart, Terry Armstrong is decommitting

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It was probably unlikely the full class was going to show up.

With everything going on the NLI’s don’t mean much. Unless Nico wants to go to Westwood that is, sorry Russ. :)

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like barring a last-minute change of heart, Terry Armstrong is decommitting
Finally back to the topic of this thread. Is ARZ looking at someone else or it this the result of the FBI crap? He’s a highly sought after kid so maybe he just got an offer he was waiting for?

TJ

Reaction score
Finally back to the topic of this thread. Is ARZ looking at someone else or it this the result of the FBI crap? He’s a highly sought after kid so maybe he just got an offer he was waiting for?
Think he’s realizing that his playing time will be scarce next season. Plus, Arizona is recruiting a ton of wing transfers. Plus, it’s in for Boogie Ellis who recently decommitted from duke

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was probably unlikely the full class was going to show up.

With everything going on the NLI’s don’t mean much. Unless Nico wants to go to Westwood that is, sorry Russ. :)

I don't think he is but like I said apparently if something happens and he decommits, UCLA is high on the list.

Don't see it happening.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Think he’s realizing that his playing time will be scarce next season. Plus, Arizona is recruiting a ton of wing transfers. Plus, it’s in for Boogie Ellis who recently decommitted from duke
Maybe they need a schollie for Jordan Brown. Another big would help over another wing. Obviously, Brown was the one that got away for UA but is he looking to go home?

TJ

Reaction score
Maybe they need a schollie for Jordan Brown. Another big would help over another wing. Obviously, Brown was the one that got away for UA but is he looking to go home?
Who knows? It’s up in the air for him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He has to sit a year. Arizona is actually further away from home for him than Nevada was but not too far. I think he would have gone to St Johns if Mullin hadn't left, no idea where he's going now. Talented kid but had a pretty disappointing freshman year on a team stacked with seniors.

TJ

Reaction score
He has to sit a year. Arizona is actually further away from home for him than Nevada was but not too far. I think he would have gone to St Johns if Mullin hadn't left, no idea where he's going now. Talented kid but had a pretty disappointing freshman year on a team stacked with seniors.

People seem to think Brown has a shot at getting a waiver to play this season. Not sure the parameters, but the optimism is there

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People seem to think Brown has a shot at getting a waiver to play this season. Not sure the parameters, but the optimism is there

Maybe there's some rule where if Steve Alford becomes your coach you can transfer without sitting a year (-: I don't know how he'd get to skip sitting the year, that Musselman might not be his coach as a soph was not exactly a secret, I don't think he expected to be in college as a soph even though if you saw him in HS it was obvious he would be.

Nice kid and good student but I'll be surprised if he doesn't have to sit. You can argue when a coach leaves like that kids should be able to transfer without sitting.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

From what I'm reading and hearing, this was a misunderstanding and miscommunication based on certain social media activity, and Armstrong apparently confirmed he remains 100% committed to the U of A at the BallIsLife dunk contest today. Hmmm...

TJ

Reaction score
LOL Dawkins was convicted today. Not sure who's a bigger moron: Haney for thinking he was going to win, or Dawkins for hiring him.

Either way, we all lose.

TJ

Reaction score

There are a lot of rival hoops fans, media members, and lawyers who owe Sean Miller and Arizona an apology and some money.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

There are a lot of rival hoops fans, media members, and lawyers who owe Sean Miller and Arizona an apology and some money.

He also confirmed he had no connection with Ayton which was reported by 247 initially. Of course Dawkins has zero credibility so ESPN will spin this back to Book’s comments. This should still help Miller though.

TJ

Reaction score
He also confirmed he had no connection with Ayton which was reported by 247 initially. Of course Dawkins has zero credibility so ESPN will spin this back to Book’s comments. This should still help Miller though.
Dawkins and Book were not involved in his recruitment, which baffles me about the whole thing. It was ******** from jump street and confirmed today

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose