Marvel movie marathon for newbies thread

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soooo, I have never seen any of the Marvel movies, and I know very little about that world (comic and movie). More of a rom-com and sci-fi type of girl. But, after some prodding from friends and my own curiosity, I decided that I would partake in a 22 Marvel movie marathon, starting with Iron Man and ending with the new movie that just came out. I didn’t want to bump 22 threads with my reactions so I figured it would be easier and cleaner for me to just have my thoughts in one gratuitous thread, haha.

Spoilers ahead for those who have not seen the movies! Anyone else want to join in? Or was it just me living under a rock? :)

First movie of the marathon: Iron Man

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Movie: Iron Man

Initial reaction: Fun movie!

Liked: RDJ, Iron Man saving that town, the tech

RDJ seems like a good fit for this role. He had the cockiness and coolness factor nailed down. Also some humanity behind that exterior.

I liked his relationship with Pepper (not a Paltrow fan though). It’s nice to have people you can trust wholeheartedly. Just how far back does their relationship go? I am curious about Rhodes, too. From what I gathered, they know each other from college? But his backstory said Stark graduated from MIT at 17?

It was cool to see the development of the suit and his test runs were pretty cool.

Funny robots!

As Iron Man was fighting the bigger iron man at the end, all I could think about was he (fat iron man) can’t be killed too easily cuz that would be the recipe to kill iron man, too for future movies and that it better be something hard to recreate otherwise Iron Man is beatable

So Agent Coulson looked incredibly familiar and then I realized he’s from that SHIELD tv show (which I also have not seen). I’m curious what his role is and what SHIELD does.

I have heard that you have to watch the credits after these movies, so I saw Eye Patch Guy (Sammy Jax) talk about the “Avenger Initiative,” Can’t wait to see how these movies all integrate. And to learn about this avenger initiative.

Next up: The Incredible Hulk

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread will be a good read. Don’t think you need to watch the 2 Hulk movies. They weren’t actually MCU movies and aren’t that good.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This thread will be a good read. Don’t think you need to watch the 2 Hulk movies. They weren’t actually MCU movies and aren’t that good.
Incredible Hulk is. Actor is different if course, but this and Iron Man came out on 2008. William Hirt from hulk comes back in the third Captain America movie.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oops, too late lol, already saw the first hulk. The 2nd hulk wasn’t on the list so I won’t include that in this thread though.

Edited to add: I just learned that the Incredible Hulk is Hulk 2.. oops :) so I’ve seen Hulk 2 and not 1

Last edited:
OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Movie #2 - The Incredible Hulk

Initial reaction - it was okay, liked Iron Man better, final fight scene went on a bit too long

Liked: Hulk bumping his head, scene when he was watching Betty at the campus for the first time

Maybe it’s because I didn’t know the Hulk’s back story but I wish the movie had spent a little more time on how he came to be infected with the gamma and more why he was being chased. The snippets at the beginning gave only small background about it.

Edward Norton did fine, but wow Liv Tyler... not a fan, at all. I started laughing after her 12th breathy “Bruuuce.” I appreciated that love was the trigger to help him control the anger (along with his breathing) but I felt zero chemistry between the leads.

At the end of the movie, I did not understand why Stark showed up at the bar to speak with the General, as they painted the General as a “bad” guy most of the movie. I get that he’s worked on making super soldiers and such, but why him directly? Because he has contact with the Hulk? That’s what I am running with.

I do know that Ruffalo takes over as Hulk, which is exciting because I like him way more than Norton.

Stan Lee drinking the infected soda was pretty cool since I know he is the creator of these comics.

Next movie - Iron Man 2

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Soooo, I have never seen any of the Marvel movies, and I know very little about that world (comic and movie). More of a rom-com and sci-fi type of girl. But, after some prodding from friends and my own curiosity, I decided that I would partake in a 22 Marvel movie marathon, starting with Iron Man and ending with the new movie that just came out. I didn’t want to bump 22 threads with my reactions so I figured it would be easier and cleaner for me to just have my thoughts in one gratuitous thread, haha.

Spoilers ahead for those who have not seen the movies! Anyone else want to join in? Or was it just me living under a rock? :)

First movie of the marathon: Iron Man

Are you wanting to watch the in line when they came out in timeline order?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Movie #2 - The Incredible Hulk

Initial reaction - it was okay, liked Iron Man better, final fight scene went on a bit too long

Liked: Hulk bumping his head, scene when he was watching Betty at the campus for the first time

Maybe it’s because I didn’t know the Hulk’s back story but I wish the movie had spent a little more time on how he came to be infected with the gamma and more why he was being chased. The snippets at the beginning gave only small background about it.

Edward Norton did fine, but wow Liv Tyler... not a fan, at all. I started laughing after her 12th breathy “Bruuuce.” I appreciated that love was the trigger to help him control the anger (along with his breathing) but I felt zero chemistry between the leads.

At the end of the movie, I did not understand why Stark showed up at the bar to speak with the General, as they painted the General as a “bad” guy most of the movie. I get that he’s worked on making super soldiers and such, but why him directly? Because he has contact with the Hulk? That’s what I am running with.

I do know that Ruffalo takes over as Hulk, which is exciting because I like him way more than Norton.

Stan Lee drinking the infected soda was pretty cool since I know he is the creator of these comics.

Next movie - Iron Man 2
love this thread.
Hulk is being chased because the jackass general wants to weaponize his blood,...create super soldiers like he did with the british guy and because Banner was working with government funding he considers his entire body to be government property.

Iron Man was by far one of the very best...at least until you get to Avengers... give the first Captain America a little slack...its a great origin story but the movie is a little lame by modern standards... but it gets you to know Cap, where he came from, and why he stands for the morality he has... much of that movie comes into play in several movies to come.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you wanting to watch the in line when they came out in timeline order?
I am using this photo as my guide, which appears to be release order of the movies.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
love this thread.
Hulk is being chased because the jackass general wants to weaponize his blood,...create super soldiers like he did with the british guy and because Banner was working with government funding he considers his entire body to be government property.

Iron Man was by far one of the very best...at least until you get to Avengers... give the first Captain America a little slack...its a great origin story but the movie is a little lame by modern standards... but it gets you to know Cap, where he came from, and why he stands for the morality he has... much of that movie comes into play in several movies to come.
Good to know about the first Captain America, thanks!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive only seen Thor

I might do the same soon if my son or someone else wants to watch them with me. Otherwise, Ill just play video games with my free time like usual.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Movie #3 - Iron Man 2

Initial reaction - Liked it!

Fave scene: When Happy kept ramming Ivanko with the car on the track, LOL, and the Gary Schandling scenes

So I had no idea that Jennifer Aniston’s ex-hubby wrote this screenplay (and Tropic Thunder, too), which really surprised me.

This movie definitely wasn’t as super-hero ish until the end. But I liked how we were introduced to Agent Romanoff, got more backstory on Tony’s dad and how he was one of the founders of SHIELD, and that Nick Fury knew his dad. Nick Fury’s character is really intriguing me, I want to know more about him.

Stark was being a little prick for some of this movie, but I am glad he realized he couldn’t do it all on his own and that Rhodes and Agent Romanoff helped him eventually defeat Ivanko.

The energy source in his chest is to keep those little metal schrapnel things away from his heart, right? I guess a I didn’t pay enough attention in the first movie. Interesting that the palladium was killing him.

Sam Rockwell as Hammer was absolutely hilariously awesome. He was such a slimy douche!!

Next up: Thor

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Movie #3 - Iron Man 2

Initial reaction - Liked it!

Fave scene: When Happy kept ramming Ivanko with the car on the track, LOL, and the Gary Schandling scenes

So I had no idea that Jennifer Aniston’s ex-hubby wrote this screenplay (and Tropic Thunder, too), which really surprised me.

This movie definitely wasn’t as super-hero ish until the end. But I liked how we were introduced to Agent Romanoff, got more backstory on Tony’s dad and how he was one of the founders of SHIELD, and that Nick Fury knew his dad. Nick Fury’s character is really intriguing me, I want to know more about him.

Stark was being a little prick for some of this movie, but I am glad he realized he couldn’t do it all on his own and that Rhodes and Agent Romanoff helped him eventually defeat Ivanko.

The energy source in his chest is to keep those little metal schrapnel things away from his heart, right? I guess a I didn’t pay enough attention in the first movie. Interesting that the palladium was killing him.

Sam Rockwell as Hammer was absolutely hilariously awesome. He was such a slimy douche!!

Next up: Thor
Very interesting. This is bottom 3 as far as Marvel movies go for me.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I am curious to hear more about why and which ones were your fave?
I generally follow most everyone else’s opinions when it comes to the top ones (like Guardians 1, Avengers 1, Cap 2 and Cap 3). I just did not like this one at all. Basically because of a lot of what has plagued these movies, mainly weak villains.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Movie #4 - Thor

Initial reaction: Liked it waaaaaay more than I thought I was going to

Fave scenes: tasing of Thor, running him over twice (lol), then mispronouncing the name for the hammer, first battle and the final battle

I was really expecting not to like this movie as I thought it was going to be Thor-world centric and not Earth centric, but I loved the balance and how Earth is part of the 9 realms.

Thor and Jane love story was a tad hokey for me, but Portman and Hemsworth did a good job with it.

Loved watching the change in Thor as he basically had everything taken from him and he had to learn the hard way to find it again. I felt for Thor when he couldn’t pick up his hammer.

I also found myself feeling really bad for Loki when he was told he was actually taken (saved) from the Frozen People (forgot their name). Hiddleston had some great scenes.

I was pretty shocked by the end credits ending. So that meant Loki was never actually falling to his death, it was just a hologram? And Dr Sven (forget name) is he dead or is Loki controlling him? How did Loki get that ability? Curious to learn more about Asgard (didn’t forget that name!)

Anyhoo, surprised by how much I liked this movie. I think right now it’s my favorite Ive seen thus far (maybe tied with Iron Man, still debating).

Loved the gate keeper guy, too

Next movie - Captain America: The First Avenger

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It’s fun reliving these through your eyes. Keep it up.

And man, 22 movies and 8 tv shows (is the latter right? Daredevil, Jessica jones, Luke Cage, iron fist, defenders, punisher, SHIELD, Cloak and Dagger). Is that the current entirety of the Marvel Universe?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
No X-Men, Deadpool, Punisher, or Venom off the top of my head.

Although I'm not sure those are considered Marvel Universe? Maybe just Marvel Comics
They all seem to be their own universe. Same with the pre-Tom Holland Spider-Man movies.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The current MCU movies, and the years in which they take place, are as follows:

• 1943-1945: Captain America: The First Avenger
  • 2010: Iron Man
  • 2011: Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, Thor
  • 2012: The Avengers: Iron Man 3
  • 2013: Thor: The Dark World
  • 2014: Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  • 2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
  • 2016: Captain America: Civil War, Spider-Man: Homecoming
  • 2016-2017: Doctor Strange
  • 2017: Black Panther, Thor Ragnarok, Avengers: Infinity War

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/11/18/official-mcu-timeline/

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Movie #5 - Captain America: The First Avenger

First impression - Liked it

Fave scene: night before he took the meds with Stanley Tucci’s character, the plane going down convo between CA and Agent Carter, and when Agent Carter shot at CA’s shield to test it out (lol)

Very cool to learn Steve Rodgers’ backstory and how he came to be Captain America. Very interesting to see Howard Stark and how heavily he’s played a role in all this.

Agent Carter is intriguing.

CA’s “death” scene actually got me a tad teary eyed even though I knew he would live somehow. Felt more bad for Agent Carter haha.

Liked the tie in with the tree of life thing, which we learned about in the last movie. Was that cube thing the same thing that Iron Man received in Iron Man 2?

Okay, Nick Fury made another appearance, everybody take a shot! Who the F is this guy and what does he do exactly!? (don’t answer that hah)

Curious how CA survived the crash, maybe due to his regenerative cells?

Overall, was a very interesting movie. Was not bored at all. My mom was over for dinner and even she enjoyed it. She said it “had plot” lol

Next movie: Iron Man 3

Edit: next movie is actually The Avengers, not Iron Man 3

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Movie #5 - Captain America: The First Avenger

First impression - Liked it

Fave scene: night before he took the meds with Stanley Tucci’s character, the plane going down convo between CA and Agent Carter, and when Agent Carter shot at CA’s shield to test it out (lol)

Very cool to learn Steve Rodgers’ backstory and how he came to be Captain America. Very interesting to see Howard Stark and how heavily he’s played a role in all this.

Agent Carter is intriguing.

CA’s “death” scene actually got me a tad teary eyed even though I knew he would live somehow. Felt more bad for Agent Carter haha.

Liked the tie in with the tree of life thing, which we learned about in the last movie. Was that cube thing the same thing that Iron Man received in Iron Man 2?

Okay, Nick Fury made another appearance, everybody take a shot! Who the F is this guy and what does he do exactly!? (don’t answer that hah)

Curious how CA survived the crash, maybe due to his regenerative cells?

Overall, was a very interesting movie. Was not bored at all. My mom was over for dinner and even she enjoyed it. She said it “had plot” lol

Next movie: Iron Man 3
Unlike most I really enjoyed Cap’s origin story.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose