2019 1st round pick is QB Kyler Murray

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's alright @Solar7

Many people who debate with me get to ride home on the #failbus after I smoke their asses.

Short QBs are rarely given any opportunity in the NFL. And I've never seen a single one fail because they were short. Rex Grossman would've sucked if he was 7'5". Troy Smith wasn't a good QB....he was an athlete who sucked at all the finer things of QB play. Case Keenum is a decent player, but doesn't really have a great arm or any other great skills. Seneca Wallace? Sucked. Not because he was short, he sucked because he sucked at everything. I hear he trips over his own feet. Michael Vick is half the QB that Murray is. Johnny Manziel sniffs coke of hooker's asses.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wasn't keen on the pick, but I'm over it.

Tyrion Lannister is our QB and as the Battle of Blackwater Bay proved, he's intelligent, skilled and resourceful. Yes, he's vertically challenged but if the Unsullied on the line hold up and the Dothraki do their thing in passing game, he'll be fine. My only concern is that there is a Night King out there and we don't have enough dragon glass blades or Valyrian steel to handle the White Walkers.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
How many 6'1 and greater QBs failed to make it over that time?

95% probably. So I'm still right. :p

Going back to TY DETMER? TY DETMER? That's a long time. And almost half of those guys you listed were still looked at mainly as back ups (Smith, Keenum, Wallace) but got PT because the QBs in front of them got hurt or sucked.
I don't see any evidence to back up your claim that a bunch of short QBs aren't getting their chance. How else are you supposed to get your chance besides starting games? Do you have to be drafted #1 overall for it to count as "a chance?"

Please feel free to provide some examples of great college players who just aren't getting their due because they're too short.

To be clear, I'm well aware that QBs over a certain height don't get a chance either.

The reason I brought up most of the guys I selected is that they're all players who exhibited collegiate success, or even flashes of success in the NFL.

Where are all of these guys riding the pine because they never had their shot? Troy Smith can't win a Heisman and be considered a bad QB.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I think he has the potential to come out roaring in the first game and a few games after that. Teams will not know what to expect and will have no real tape on the team. Come week 13 and 14, it could get tough. A very challenging schedule

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
er my gawd Kyler Murray must be the suxorz. He not even the starting QB yet.

Speaking on The Jim Rome Show, Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said, "We'll see," when asked about No. 1 overall pick Kyler Murray starting Week 1.
"We have Brett Hundley here, who we are very excited about," Kingsbury hilariously continued. Assuming the sun does not explode between now and then, Murray will open his rookie season as the starter.

8 more days till rookie mini camp, sigh.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Head coach Kliff Kingsbury reiterated the rationale for that move on The Jim Rome Show by saying that Murray has “too great a skill set to pass up.” Having that kind of talent and being the impetus for the organization’s change of direction at quarterback isn’t enough for Kingsbury to say that he’s the No. 1 quarterback in Arizona, however.

“We’ll see. We’re still working through all those things,” Kingsbury said. “We have Brett Hundley here who we’re very excited about, but we’ll see where that kinda goes.”

Kingsbury was asked how his offense will look compared to others in the NFL and said it was still taking shape, but that the team is “going to build it around Kyler.” Given that and the skill set that led the team to make Murray the first overall pick, it will be a great surprise if Murray is healthy and on the bench in Week One.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ell-see-about-kyler-murray-starting-week-one/

Dante

All Star
Reaction score
This is one of the better scouting report videos on K1 IMO:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I'll be honest with, I didn't expect to like him this much. I read in multiple posts that he is a "one read and run" quarterback, but this is FAR from the truth. He definitely made full field reads even though his offense did create a lot of busted plays in the terrible land of Big 12 defenses. In my opinion, if he can work on his pocket awareness issues that I detailed in the video, I think he's going to be a great NFL quarterback.

Pro Comp: Russell Wilson - While both Murray and Wilson were considered "too small" coming out of college, they both share a lot of traits in their play styles - The way they spin backwards outside of pressure instead of stepping up. How they are both very accurate passers and have good deep balls. How they both can improvise like champions while having the ability to make full field reads. Now I get why a lot of people see Johnny Manziel (I thought of him at first to be honest), but Murray is a much better prospect than Manziel from purely a technical standpoint.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
at the 6 minute mark, you see the Murray risk factor

you can imagine NFL rush getting heavy enough that he gets in the "one read and run" habit

or,

instead of stepping up and delivering -- he circles backwards to try to buy time. Interestingly, this also describes Russel Wilson

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
At some point in his career, he will play baseball. I am convinced. It will always be a "what if" nagging in the back of his mind.
the further away you get from hitting a baseball...... the longer it will take to recover the skills.

I think he may practice or throw out some pitches etc...... but his Diamond days are done after these 5 years are up.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Haven't seen this posted...Murray winning the Texas State Title at 15 years old. That is crazy.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard a couple of negative comments about Kyler's father. Would someone please elaborate?
He's just involved. People act like he is lonzo ball. Maybe their dad wasn't involved to they automatically hate on this kids dad

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He's just involved. People act like he is lonzo ball. Maybe their dad wasn't involved to they automatically hate on this kids dad

What's worse is there are virtually no indicators that Kevin Murray is Lavar Ball-like. Its character assasination because they want to hate on him.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Glad you mentioned this.

I'd like to ask the Murray haters how many quotes and sound bites we've had from Kevin Murray through the last several months. He's had every chance to shoot off his month.

Anybody?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
His dad doesn't have to be Lonzo Ball's dad to be a concerning father figure when it comes to Kyler's ability to make decisions for himself. One poster outright said that it was a positive his dad was coming to move to town with him, so Kyler wouldn't get himself into trouble... as if he was going to get into trouble without daddy around to give him a whuppin'.

Glad you mentioned this.

I'd like to ask the Murray haters how many quotes and sound bites we've had from Kevin Murray through the last several months. He's had every chance to shoot off his month.

Anybody?
I don't personally have any sound bites, but everything went Kyler's way in this situation. He didn't have to do anything besides one throwing session, and he got drafted #1 overall. If things were different, who knows?

This article is what makes me most fearful: https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/16/k...ther-kevin-baseball-football-decision-oakland

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
at the 6 minute mark, you see the Murray risk factor

you can imagine NFL rush getting heavy enough that he gets in the "one read and run" habit

or,

instead of stepping up and delivering -- he circles backwards to try to buy time. Interestingly, this also describes Russel Wilson
Gotta take the bad with the good.. :raccoon:

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the further away you get from hitting a baseball...... the longer it will take to recover the skills.

I think he may practice or throw out some pitches etc...... but his Diamond days are done after these 5 years are up.
I think it depends.. he seems like the kind of athlete that can make something like this work. If his 5 years in the league are rough on the kid, I could definitely see him having a team give him a legitimate shot. If not the A's, someone else..

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gotta take the bad with the good.. :raccoon:

yes right who cares
he found some adversities but he turned them to be positivness considering he got better as a player and finished strong as one of the best college qb of the all time

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it depends.. he seems like the kind of athlete that can make something like this work. If his 5 years in the league are rough on the kid, I could definitely see him having a team give him a legitimate shot. If not the A's, someone else..
what the difference if he underpeform and having a planb in another sport or underperform and being unemployed after 4 season?
they still discussing about this no sense

if he is a good qb he will keep playing football

if he is not good enough he can try baseball, the same can happen to other players but they dont have another professional sport to play

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson