Shameful Bit of History

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
If indeed the Cards end up taking Murray and ditching Rosen, the Cards franchise will make history, and not in a good way. Heard it on the radio here in the 'Burgh the other day when John Clayton was on--it would be the first time a first-round QB was ever traded after only one year. And I think it would be shambolic. Not a comment on Murray--I'm torn, leaning towards not taking him and sticking with Rosen, but still torn. It would be the final nail in Keim's coffin for me, though. I mean, Jesus wept!

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
This is sort of true. In 1989 Jimmy Johnson drafted Aikman in round 1. Later that summer they took Steve Walsh in round 1 of the supplemental draft giving up their first pick in 1990 regular draft. Aikman was hurt during the season with Walsh delivering the Boys only win. Next year Walsh was traded 3 games into the season. I agree trading Rosen would be dumb.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is sort of true. In 1989 Jimmy Johnson drafted Aikman in round 1. Later that summer they took Steve Walsh in round 1 of the supplemental draft giving up their first pick in 1990 regular draft. Aikman was hurt during the season with Walsh delivering the Boys only win. Next year Walsh was traded 3 games into the season. I agree trading Rosen would be dumb.
Yeah this. That’s a dumb comment by Clayton considering the overwhelming success that cowboys team had in virtually identical scenario.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Yeah this. That’s a dumb comment by Clayton considering the overwhelming success that cowboys team had in virtually identical scenario.

Actually, it didn't. They took Aikman first, Walsh second. So sticking with the first QB worked out. Also, like Harry said, it was the supplemental draft :)

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
If indeed the Cards end up taking Murray and ditching Rosen, the Cards franchise will make history, and not in a good way. Heard it on the radio here in the 'Burgh the other day when John Clayton was on--it would be the first time a first-round QB was ever traded after only one year. And I think it would be shambolic. Not a comment on Murray--I'm torn, leaning towards not taking him and sticking with Rosen, but still torn. It would be the final nail in Keim's coffin for me, though. I mean, Jesus wept!
Per Elias sports no 1st round Qb taken since 1970 merger has been traded the following year I dont know if they were counting the supplemental draft though

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
It really sets a very bad precedent the way the whole organization has played this out from the get go all they had to say was yeah or any to a QB change

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
If it works it is t shameful

Unless we get direct return equal to what we paid for him, it'll still be bloody awful. Even if the new QB is a hall of famer, it won't make Keim any less of a fool for screwing up the QBOF/1st round pick the year before. Either way, I hope our QB is awesome moving forward. Personally I think we'd be fools for giving up on Rosen, but it may happen.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

If Murray allows us to win just one Super Bowl, just one, nobody who is a die hard Cardinal fan will care about this precedent at all... btw, I think we can achieve this with Rosen too :)

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
But there was absolutely no debate back then when the Cowboys did that

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Unless we get direct return equal to what we paid for him, it'll still be bloody awful. Even if the new QB is a hall of famer, it won't make Keim any less of a fool for screwing up the QBOF/1st round pick the year before. Either way, I hope our QB is awesome moving forward. Personally I think we'd be fools for giving up on Rosen, but it may happen.

That's not true. If Rosen is average and Murray is really good, then there is no shame in moving on.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like if we could follow the Jacksonville and Blaine Gabbert model, who had a Rosen like first year, and then just let him keep sucking for multiple years...

That seems like the way to go

mwanamatapa

Veteran
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they believe Murray is better than Rosen you pick him and move on getting what you can in a trade for Rosen. If it turns out okay then it's not a big deal.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, there are 4 examples in the history of the NFL of anyone in the ballpark of as bad as Rosen ever amounting to an average or better QB.

And those GMs stared at those odds and said "So you are saying there is a chance!"

This is why none of the anti Murray stuff matters to me.

You are telling me that a QB might bust. I am telling you we already have a bust.

bennyperrin23

Veteran
Reaction score
This thread is worthless too!!! ❗️Cards are due for a game changer pick. If you look at our last 6 years of 1st rounder you will see that they are nothing great. Or even remotely great.

BirdDroppings

Rookie
Reaction score
I mean, there are 4 examples in the history of the NFL of anyone in the ballpark of as bad as Rosen ever amounting to an average or better QB.

And those GMs stared at those odds and said "So you are saying there is a chance!"

You are telling me that a QB might bust. I am telling you we already have a bust.

Whether or not Rosen is a bust and whether or not Murray will be good are 2 separate questions though. If the anti-Murray stuff is legit and he ends up being a bust as well because of it, then it will be a mistake to take him. If your reason for wanting to take Murray is just that you have no hope for Rosen, then I don't see why you wouldn't be just as on board with taking any other QB. May as well trade down and get assets and take Haskins or Jones if it's just about moving on from any QB who had an unsuccessful rookie year.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I would much rather follow trends than set them

Sure, let's waste 1st round picks. Sounds like a load of fun! Let's set THAT trend...wait, no, we already have. Let's CONTINUE that trend!!!

Yeah, you're right, circumstances are absolutely meaningless. I mean, we all know QBs play on an island, right? I'm so glad you absolutely know he's a bust, Chris! That'll totally save the Cards FO the agony of making this decision.

You aren't short on...confidence. I'll give you that, but nothing else.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Seahawks elite defense won them their Superbowl not Russell Wilson. We should be trying to build that type of defense instead of trying to find the next Russell