James Jones hired as Suns General Manager

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some comments from Robert Sarver about the hire.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
I think it was expected James Jones would stay with the Suns in some capacity.

Acquiring Jamal Crawford, Kelly Oubre and Tyler Johnson without giving up valuable assets were solid moves.
Id say Oubre was a solid move but it was pure luck he fell to them as a second option. The crawford signing was just a bone Jones thru to one of his buddies.

This hire of Bower would make sense if he were GM but Saver being Saver keeps first time GM Jones in place boggles my mind...as usual with everything saver does.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Id say Oubre was a solid move but it was pure luck he fell to them as a second option. The crawford signing was just a bone Jones thru to one of his buddies.

This hire of Bower would make sense if he were GM but Saver being Saver keeps first time GM Jones in place boggles my mind...as usual with everything saver does.

I think Jones did a fine job as acting GM last season. With Bowers overseeing the operation, I think it frees Jones to do the things he does well such as players relations and evaluating talent. McDonough was lacking in these areas.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I wouldn't. The Suns have a core of nice young players. They need to build around this core.

We see what happened this past season when the Lakers added Lebron. They had a young nucleus as well.
That Magic alluded to the media that backstabbing was going on in the Lakers, but not who, makes me wonder if Lebron is part of that issue.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That Magic alluded to the media that backstabbing was going on in the Lakers, but not who, makes me wonder if Lebron is part of that issue.

The Lakers were a divided lot with all the rumors about players being traded plus the speculation Walton might be replaced.

I'm not sure if Lebron was a part of this but the win-now philosophy of the Lakers front office sure didn't help.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Take if for what it's worth but Steven A Smith insists multiple sources pointed fingers towards Pelinka. I don't doubt that Rich Paul and Lebron are part of the problem too but that could just be my disdain for that pair.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I suppose this is a reasonable hire, he’s adequate, more or less, more than not within reason I suppose, give or take a little, in essence that is.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose this is a reasonable hire, he’s adequate, more or less, more than not within reason I suppose, give or take a little, in essence that is.

Yeah, I don't hate or love the hiring as I know very little about him. He doesn't seem to be a guy that everybody loves or everybody hates and that suggests he does his job which is enough for me.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think this is an okay move. Jones has NBA championship experience from the frontlines. He has internal connections established already too. And definitely seems more personable then McD, I mean anyone does.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This might be ok.

I feel like Jones is doing a good job with player relations, media relations, and I think he may be ok at player evaluation.

If Bower and Buckstein can work with him and perform all the other GM duties such as handling scouting, trade talks, cap and contract issues - and they don't get into a power struggle it may work out. But that is the million dollar question - can they work together productively.

Only time will tell.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't hate or love the hiring as I know very little about him. He doesn't seem to be a guy that everybody loves or everybody hates and that suggests he does his job which is enough for me.

That was my clever way of saying I’m in the wait and see crowd. He hasn’t really done anything that gives me overly positive or negative vibes going into the next era of Suns basketball.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was my clever way of saying I’m in the wait and see crowd. He hasn’t really done anything that gives me overly positive or negative vibes going into the next era of Suns basketball.

I had oral surgery this morning and that was my drug addled way of agreeing with you.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
I think Jones did a fine job as acting GM last season. With Bowers overseeing the operation, I think it frees Jones to do the things he does well such as players relations and evaluating talent. McDonough was lacking in these areas.
I'll agree on the McDonough part.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It all depends on who answers to whom. If Jones answers to Bower, fine. If Bower answers to Jones, the the Bower hire is a hoax and meant just to pacify the fans by deceiving them into thinking anything has changed.

Jones is already on record as not wanting to perform certain GM functions. Is he left to perform them anyway, but with no pasdion or desire for the same, or are those duties being reassigned away from the GM position?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA