What are you reading now?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm trying to read The Magicians by Lev Grossman, which was touted to me as an "adult Harry Potter". ANd so far it's generally a bore. College students going to classes so far. Not sure how much longer I'm going to go on it.

Anybody have any suggestions for a book similar to DaVinci Code that is actually good?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just started reading "Leviathan Wakes" which is book 1 of "The Expanse" series.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is my first Sci-Fi series.

Last edited:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just started reading "Leviathan Wakes" which is book 1 of "The Expanse" series.

This is my first Sci-Fi series.

I'd like to hear what you think so far. The Mrs and I really enjoy the television series.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to hear what you think so far. The Mrs and I really enjoy the television series.

I just started but it has caught my attention very quickly. I'm really enjoying it so far.

I didn't even know it was made into a TV series.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
American Kingpin: The Epic Hunt for the Criminal Mastermind Behind the Silk Road by Nick Bilton.

An incredible book.

Publisher's Summary
The unbelievable true story of the man who built a billion-dollar online drug empire from his bedroom - and almost got away with it

In 2011, a 26-year-old libertarian programmer named Ross Ulbricht launched the ultimate free market: the Silk Road, a clandestine website hosted on the Dark Web where anyone could trade anything - drugs, hacking software, forged passports, counterfeit cash, poisons - free of the government's watchful eye.

It wasn't long before the media got wind of the new website where anyone - not just teenagers and weed dealers but terrorists and black hat hackers - could buy and sell contraband detection-free. Spurred by a public outcry, the federal government launched an epic two-year manhunt for the site's elusive proprietor, with no leads, no witnesses, and no clear jurisdiction. All the investigators knew was that whoever was running the site called himself the Dread Pirate Roberts.

The Silk Road quickly ballooned into a $1.2 billion enterprise, and Ross embraced his new role as kingpin. He enlisted a loyal crew of allies in high and low places, all as addicted to the danger and thrill of running an illegal marketplace as their customers were to the heroin they sold. Through his network he got wind of the target on his back and took drastic steps to protect himself - including ordering a hit on a former employee. As Ross made plans to disappear forever, the feds raced against the clock to catch a man they weren't sure even existed, searching for a needle in the haystack of the global Internet.

Drawing on exclusive access to key players and two billion digital words and images Ross left behind, Vanity Fair correspondent and New York Times best-selling author Nick Bilton offers a tale filled with twists and turns, lucky breaks, and unbelievable close calls. It's a story of the boy next door's ambition gone criminal, spurred on by the clash between the new world of libertarian-leaning, anonymous, decentralized web advocates and the old world of government control, order, and the rule of law. Filled with unforgettable characters and capped by an astonishing climax, American Kingpin might be dismissed as too outrageous for fiction. But it's all too real.

©2017 Nick Bilton (P)2017 Penguin Audio

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cockroaches by Jo Nesbo.

My wife just finished 'Macbeth' by Nesbø. She gets most of her books from the local library and doesn't remember seeing that title. She has also read Leopard. Likes them both. Would you recommend Cockroaches? If so, she'll look for it.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife just finished 'Macbeth' by Nesbø. She gets most of her books from the local library and doesn't remember seeing that title. She has also read Leopard. Likes them both. Would you recommend Cockroaches? If so, she'll look for it.
The Son by Nesbo is really good.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd recommend it, but I am a bit biased. Over the years as I've been reading the Lee Child Reacher series I kept hearing good things about Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole books, so I picked them up and set them aside to read later. Now I am going through them in order as I did with the Reacher books.

Here is the order (of the Harry Hole series):

The Bat
Cockroaches
The Redbreast
Nemesis
The Devil's Star
The Redeemer
The Snowman
The Leopard
Phantom
Police
The Thirst
Knife

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Current Book:

One Second After by William R. Forstchen

Publisher's Summary
In a small North Carolina town, one man struggles to save his family after America loses a war that will send it back to the Dark Ages.
Already cited on the floor of Congress and discussed in the corridors of the Pentagon as a book all Americans should read, One Second After is the story of a war scenario that could become all too terrifyingly real. Based upon a real weapon - the Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP) - which may already be in the hands of our enemies, it is a truly realistic look at the awesome power of a weapon that can destroy the entire United States, literally within one second.

This book, set in a typical American town, is a dire warning of what might be our future and our end.

Ragnar

Veteran
Reaction score
Just finished The Trident Deception by Rick Campbell,excellent read though a bit over the top technically ,think Hunt for Red October meets Crimson Tide. Now starting book 2
empire Rising.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just started Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Power of the Dog by Don Winslow

Publisher's Summary
This explosive novel of the drug trade takes you deep inside a world riddled with corruption, betrayal, and bloody revenge.
Art Montana is an obsessive DEA agent. The Barrera brothers are heirs to a drug empire. Nora Hayden is a jaded teenager who becomes a high-class hooker. Father Parada is a powerful and incorruptible Catholic priest. Callan is an Irish kid from Hell's Kitchen who grows up to be a merciless hit man. All of them are trapped in the world of the Mexican drug Federación.

From the streets of New York City to Mexico City and Tijuana to the jungles of Central America, this is the war on drugs like you've never seen it.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Gregg Hirwitz's Orphan X Series. Just finished the 4th book.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know it might seem weird, but as a former aviator this piqued my interest.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Power of the Dog by Don Winslow

Publisher's Summary
This explosive novel of the drug trade takes you deep inside a world riddled with corruption, betrayal, and bloody revenge.
Art Montana is an obsessive DEA agent. The Barrera brothers are heirs to a drug empire. Nora Hayden is a jaded teenager who becomes a high-class hooker. Father Parada is a powerful and incorruptible Catholic priest. Callan is an Irish kid from Hell's Kitchen who grows up to be a merciless hit man. All of them are trapped in the world of the Mexican drug Federación.

From the streets of New York City to Mexico City and Tijuana to the jungles of Central America, this is the war on drugs like you've never seen it.

I'm finishing up Book 3 of this trilogy....holy crap it's intense!!!

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sorry..... I couldn't resist..... :D

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

Winner of the 2019 Pulitzer Prize in Fiction
Shortlisted for the 2018 Man Booker Prize
New York Times Bestseller
A New York Times Notable Book and a Washington Post, Time, Oprah Magazine, Newsweek, Chicago Tribune, Kirkus Reviews, and Amazon Best Book of the Year

Now Available in Paperback

The Overstory, winner of the Pulitzer Prize in Fiction, is a sweeping, impassioned work of activism and resistance that is also a stunning evocation of—and paean to—the natural world. From the roots to the crown and back to the seeds, Richard Powers’s twelfth novel unfolds in concentric rings of interlocking fables that range from antebellum New York to the late twentieth-century Timber Wars of the Pacific Northwest and beyond. There is a world alongside ours—vast, slow, interconnected, resourceful, magnificently inventive, and almost invisible to us. This is the story of a handful of people who learn how to see that world and who are drawn up into its unfolding catastrophe.