Larry will return for his 16th season

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On paper, this didn't seem like a very big deal. (Probably no non-Cardinal rooter would understand).

But in the "real" word (of intangibles, momentum and leadership, this is huge.

This year esspecially (in the wake of what was arguably the Cardinals' worst season), good karma and momentum counts for a lot. In my deeper bouts with Cardinal-related depression, I was pretty danged sure that Fitz was leaving the team to be a Tibetan Monk, pursue a professional golfing career or otherwise make the world a better place.

I was wrong. (Season changer)!

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Perfect time to tell a story of my family's experience with Fitz. Forgive me if I've told this one before. In August 2009, I took my kids to see a preseason game in Pittsburgh. It was the preseason opener just after the refs beat us in the SB. We were the only people in the stands wearing Cardinal red. My youngest was 7 years old. The Cardinals were warming up in the end zone closest to us, so we got as close as possible. The Cardinal O were practicing fade routes into the corner of the end zone where we were. This was kind of a coming home party for Fitz, as he obviously played all his college games in that stadium. The kids were all leaning over the railing calling his name. My kid was the only one wearing a #11 red Fitz jersey. The other boys seemed older & bigger than my kid, but Joe made sure he was right up against the railing. When the drill was over, Fitz pointed at my kid, ran over, and scaled the wall to put the football in my son's arms. To this day, that football sits in a glass case on my son's dresser. We will be in Canton, OH to get it signed when Fitz is enshrined in the HOF. I had so many boyhood Cardinal heroes from the St. Louis days, but Fitz will always be our #1!!!!

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Excellent!

Can’t believe it’s been 16 years!

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Definitely love this news! Excited to see where this offense goes.

But the one thing I will say is that I'm a little concerned overall about how this works with our cap and flexibility in long-term receiver development. I wanted a guy like N'Keal Harry... and while this doesn't preclude it from happening, it's not as urgent.

I also think Kirk's natural position is the slot, and we're stunting his development there.

I just wanted to write a lot and find something to complain about. :D

:band:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The greatest Cardinal of all time. Wonder what the "Lowered Hurdles" are..... Probably no OTA's and time off during camp.

And I will be in the audience when he goes into Canton.

Welcome back #11!!!

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The NFL needs to make sure that the Cardinals finish their season at home.....so he can be given the proper send off if he is done after this season .

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Rice could play 20 years, Fitz could too!

I hope he doesn't hang around too long like Jerry did. The end of his career was a huge embarrassment. Remember the "controversy" in Seattle because he wanted to wear his #80, despite it being retired for Steve Largent? Do you even remember that he was with Seattle at all? How about Denver? Yikes.

But - I think Larry can still contribute and applaud his decision to come back. Sure he doesn't get separation on deeper routes now, but he can still catch, block, and ball - just has to be used properly. 2019 might actually be fun again.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Perfect time to tell a story of my family's experience with Fitz. Forgive me if I've told this one before. In August 2009, I took my kids to see a preseason game in Pittsburgh. It was the preseason opener just after the refs beat us in the SB. We were the only people in the stands wearing Cardinal red. My youngest was 7 years old. The Cardinals were warming up in the end zone closest to us, so we got as close as possible. The Cardinal O were practicing fade routes into the corner of the end zone where we were. This was kind of a coming home party for Fitz, as he obviously played all his college games in that stadium. The kids were all leaning over the railing calling his name. My kid was the only one wearing a #11 red Fitz jersey. The other boys seemed older & bigger than my kid, but Joe made sure he was right up against the railing. When the drill was over, Fitz pointed at my kid, ran over, and scaled the wall to put the football in my son's arms. To this day, that football sits in a glass case on my son's dresser. We will be in Canton, OH to get it signed when Fitz is enshrined in the HOF. I had so many boyhood Cardinal heroes from the St. Louis days, but Fitz will always be our #1!!!!

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. Great that he is gong to be back for another year. As a season ticket holder, it's a joy to watch him play.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
This is great news. I had a feeling he’d be back but it’s great to see it being a reality.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This must mean that he has faith in coach Kingsbury

imo he was always coming back, even for wilks. he is 40 catches away from #2 all time. this will be his last year unless we become a major contender very quickly.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson