Hire Tony Romo

Paso Fino

Veteran
Reaction score
He was incredible today. Calling out what the offensive play would be before it happened. At least twice he mentioned that Gronkowski was lining up at the sideline and was a likely target.

He would be a great addition either as an assistant to the defensive coordinator or the offensive coordinator.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was incredible today. Calling out what the offensive play would be before it happened. At least twice he mentioned that Gronkowski was lining up at the sideline and was a likely target.

He would be a great addition either as an assistant to the defensive coordinator or the offensive coordinator.

Well first off I don’t think his knowledge is unique. I think a lot of coaches can call that kind of stuff out. It is just unusual to hear a color guy do it. Which brings me too my second point, cbs probably really likes the job he is doing, and would likely pay him more than you could justify paying him as an assistant coach.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

A lot of guys can do this but Romo is really good on TV really good.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well first off I don’t think his knowledge is unique. I think a lot of coaches can call that kind of stuff out. It is just unusual to hear a color guy do it. Which brings me too my second point, cbs probably really likes the job he is doing, and would likely pay him more than you could justify paying him as an assistant coach.
For sure. He is a great color guy

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He obviously knows the game and evidently does his broadcasting homework too. I was really impressed by how he was calling out plays in advance.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have a new respect for Romo this season. He’s my favorite commentator.

+1

And today he really took it up another notch. He's constantly improving.

Compared to listening to Joe Buck and Troy Aikman, he's a breath of fresh air. I can barely tolerate Aikman at this point, very close to shutting down the TV when he's on.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Romo is very good, but can be annoying. I thought he got a little rambunctious at times with his praise of Mahomes. You could tell that although he was respectful of Brady, he obviously wanted KC to win. Had KC won, he’d still have his tongue up Mahomes you know what. The great announcers don’t need to be as loud as Romo got, especially when KC scored & Mahomes had a hand in it. Other than that, yes, I think his future is bright in the booth.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1

And today he really took it up another notch. He's constantly improving.

Compared to listening to Joe Buck and Troy Aikman, he's a breath of fresh air. I can barely tolerate Aikman at this point, very close to shutting down the TV when he's on.
At least they aren't Beth Mowins.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Romo is very good, but can be annoying. I thought he got a little rambunctious at times with his praise of Mahomes. You could tell that although he was respectful of Brady, he obviously wanted KC to win. Had KC won, he’d still have his tongue up Mahomes you know what. The great announcers don’t need to be as loud as Romo got, especially when KC scored & Mahomes had a hand in it. Other than that, yes, I think his future is bright in the booth.
He is not an announcer. He is the color guy analyst. That is their job. To add color to announcer. He is no Booger McFarland.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even though I've always hated the Cowboys, I just couldn't muster the hate for him like I have for countless other players on the team. He always seemed like a sympathetic figure.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Romo actually adds a ton of insight into CBS broadcasts. Troy Aikman is nothing more than Joe Fan and his constant critiques of the officiating on every call
are annoying and amateurish...

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Watched the game with a friend of mine last night who's also a Cowboy's fan. He mentioned how Aikman's announcing hasn't evolved and is difficult to listen to...the "this is a big series for so and so team" adds nothing to the viewing/listening experience.

Conversely you actually learn something when Romo's calling the game - very entertaining.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

He’s perfect for people like me who aren’t experts in the x’s and o’s, but can understand when he says things like “if the safety comes down, watch for Brady to target Gronk on the outside.” I love that because I feel like I’m learning things while enjoying the game.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s perfect for people like me who aren’t experts in the x’s and o’s, but can understand when he says things like “if the safety comes down, watch for Brady to target Gronk on the outside.” I love that because I feel like I’m learning things while enjoying the game.

Me too!

eastcoastSUN

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And the great thing about Romo is he just always sounds like an excited kid on Christmas whenever he foresees a coverage/play in advance. You can hear it in his voice - one of the few people that actually enjoys their job!

It is actually very refreshing to listen to and wish he can cover some of our games next year: "Here we see Rosen lining up in shotgun, Johnson split out wide, and what is this, PP on the outside... Ohhh Kliff's got something cooking for this play...!"

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
When they booted Phil Sims in favor of him I was upset. But Romo quickly proved why CBS made the move. Sims was good, but Romo is better. I also enjoy listening to him more than Aikman and Collinsworth.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
He is an ex-Cowboys, so excuse me while I throw up.

(this is an extremely bias take with no logical reasoning by the way)..............but still :barf:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose