Gambo Said this today about Doncic .........

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't think he will be able to score at will but I think he will be able to create offense easily, for himself or someone else. I doubt we'd have many shot clock violations with Doncic and Booker on the floor together. If a PG can't score on his own then you want him to be able to set someone up easily and I think Doncic will be able to do that. Because of his size he should be able to score somewhat easy because opponents will need to put their PG on either Doncic, Booker, or Jackson, if that's who we draft, and I doubt they'll put their PG on Booker. Give Booker 3-4 inches on his opponent and he'll be able to get off shots with ease. Doncic's size will allow him to get off easy shots also. I think he'll be more of a facilitator though and that would be better for the Suns right now.

I'm still not in favor of drafting Doncic but I'm becoming less concerned if we do select him. I prefer Ayton, Bagley, and Young ahead of him right now. I could see a lot of people being upset if the Suns reach for Young at #3 if Doncic is still on the board. Whether that would be a smart move is debatable but I think Young has less of a chance of being a bust. He's a better shooter than Doncic and there is no doubt about his position in the NBA. He does have good athleticism, decent size, and is really quick. He needs to bulk up a little bit but not a whole lot. He looks like he's about the same size as Curry right now and I'd rather he be a little bit bigger. At his current size I'd worry too much each time he gets hit hard and goes to the ground. I think most Warrior fans feel that way about Curry getting hit also. Some added muscle would help.
I don’t know what trae young you’re watching. He doesn’t have good athleticism. He’s shorter by an inch than Steph and a LOT slighter than Steph at this stage (maybe similar when Steph came out). And I don’t think he’s quick. He falls into that “crafty” realm that’s being tossed on doncic. Other than his shooting he’s got a lot of what we call “old man’s game” . . . and an already thinning head of hair.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gambo claims he has sources in Italy where he’s getting the head case info. Probably some family member or friend with a skewed opinion. I doubt it’s a legit scout’s take otherwise we’d be seeing more in scouting reports.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
legit scout

In my opinion, this board gives scouts far too much credence.

https://careertrend.com/info-12044052-salaries-nba-advance-scout.html

This says that the average salary for an NBA scout is $65,000. That's pretty good money, but when you consider that running an NBA team is a multi-billion dollar business, it's chump change.

NBA teams are competitive. If they believed that better scouts would give them better results, they'd pay more money to get top scouts. Then salaries would go up, at least to the point of being a lucrative job for someone who presumably has a lot of other marketable skills. That hasn't happened, which tells me that the input of scouts just doesn't move the needle that much.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In my opinion, this board gives scouts far too much credence.

https://careertrend.com/info-12044052-salaries-nba-advance-scout.html

This says that the average salary for an NBA scout is $65,000. That's pretty good money, but when you consider that running an NBA team is a multi-billion dollar business, it's chump change.

NBA teams are competitive. If they believed that better scouts would give them better results, they'd pay more money to get top scouts. Then salaries would go up, at least to the point of being a lucrative job for someone who presumably has a lot of other marketable skills. That hasn't happened, which tells me that the input of scouts just doesn't move the needle that much.
I always thought that most scouts were not full time. They paid guys in various regions and keep an eye out for talent.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jared Dudley agrees with most Suns posters about Ayton.

scott bordow‏Verified account@sbordow
2m2 minutes ago

Jared Dudley on Ayton-Doncic debate: “I think Doncic will be a very good player but I think Ayton is a can’t miss star. “The way he moves, blocking shots, his jump shot, his size. I don’t know what his weakness is. I think he’s something the Suns have never had in the post.”

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jared Dudley agrees with most Suns posters about Ayton.

scott bordow‏Verified account@sbordow
2m2 minutes ago

Jared Dudley on Ayton-Doncic debate: “I think Doncic will be a very good player but I think Ayton is a can’t miss star. “The way he moves, blocking shots, his jump shot, his size. I don’t know what his weakness is. I think he’s something the Suns have never had in the post.”
Ayton is the clear #1 IMO. Embiid, KAT, and AD are bringing the center position back. By the time we are competitive we won't be worried so much about GS. It will be these guys.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton is the clear #1 IMO. Embiid, KAT, and AD are bringing the center position back. By the time we are competitive we won't be worried so much about GS. It will be these guys.

It would be so awesome for the Suns to come out of this draft with Ayton and a PG which is doable if the Suns could land the #1 pick. There are some nice PGs available later in the first round.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

I'm not sure Townes is in that category. I've watched him quite a bit, and he spends a surprising amount of time 20 feet from the basket on the offensive end. I think he's destined to be a notch below Davis and Embiid in career effectiveness, assuming those other two can stay healthy.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ayton is #1 because he is a true C and has ability to knock down jump shots but he is almost impossible to stop within 5 ft of the rim.

If PHX falls out of Top 2 (Ayton / Bagley) then the debate is Doncic or Young. I would take Young.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score

Guys like that allow you to play like GS. I think Ayton's upside offensively is unlimited. I do think his defense can and will improve as well.

Ayton is the no brainer #1 pick in my books.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Ayton is #1 because he is a true C and has ability to knock down jump shots but he is almost impossible to stop within 5 ft of the rim.

If PHX falls out of Top 2 (Ayton / Bagley) then the debate is Doncic or Young. I would take Young.

Ayton can and will play some PF in the NBA. He can handle those high ball screens and can switch onto guard when engaged. Thats the good thing about him. If you already have a 5, you can play Ayton next to him. You can also play with him as your 5, although he does need to protect the rim better.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton can and will play some PF in the NBA. He can handle those high ball screens and can switch onto guard when engaged. Thats the good thing about him. If you already have a 5, you can play Ayton next to him. You can also play with him as your 5, although he does need to protect the rim better.
Ayton next to Bender is actually a nice combo if Bender improves to the type of player he can be -- 3 and D PF.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure Townes is in that category. I've watched him quite a bit, and he spends a surprising amount of time 20 feet from the basket on the offensive end. I think he's destined to be a notch below Davis and Embiid in career effectiveness, assuming those other two can stay healthy.
Sure. I think that is true, but he is still among the group of players that is bringing the role of center back in the NBA.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well. If the Suns hire Igor, they will certainly know whether the "head case" accusation that Gambo is making are true.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well. If the Suns hire Igor, they will certainly know whether the "head case" accusation that Gambo is making are true.

I'm sure the Suns will get Igor's opinion on the draft, particularly regarding Doncic, before they hire him.

I bet Sarver is a Ayton supporter and rightfully so.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Sure. I think that is true, but he is still among the group of players that is bringing the role of center back in the NBA.

Except all those guys are unicorn types, or at least can be. Cs and size will always rule the league. However, if you are a C who either doesnt protect the rim or space the floor, you dont play in tight games. The back to the basket, high usage centers are no more, because its not a high percentage shot. However, guys with size who can do the above will always be en vogue. This is why most teams go to a platoon at the 5, because those guys who can stay on the floor late and provide the skills needed, are few and far between. This generation of bigs has adopted their game to that role, and thus you see guys like Zinger, Towns, Embiid, AD, even Jokic to a degree (elite passing and can space the floor).

Ayton is absolutely one of those guys.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And Ayton's defense at Arizona was not a problem when he was actually in the post. Arizona was way too committed to Ayton and Ristic being on the court together, which left Ayton covering wing players on the perimeter far too often, and it wasn't because Ristic was the better post defender, it was because Ristic had no prayer of covering anyone on the outside.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This is well worth the listen.

It’s incredible that a flagship station won’t fire this guy after the amount of times he’s been absolutely dead wrong.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It’s incredible that a flagship station won’t fire this guy after the amount of times he’s been absolutely dead wrong.

They want him to say stupid and outrageous things. They literally play clips of him being wrong and mispronouncing things all the time

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It sounds like Gambo is not only degrading Doncic but preparing fans for the Ayton pick in a roundabout about way which was completely unnecessary.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What Gambo said may be totally true. The thing is that even if it is true, it doesn't matter. The kid is a great player anyway.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What Gambo said may be totally true.
Except there has never been any evidence of it being true or even remotely close to it. Quite the contrary by all accounts of his former teammates and head coach (Kokoskov).

This was just a case of Gambo trying to push a narrative so that the Suns draft Ayton.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

Except there has never been any evidence of it being true or even remotely close to it. Quite the contrary by all accounts of his former teammates and head coach (Kokoskov).

This was just a case of Gambo trying to push a narrative so that the Suns draft Ayton.

Um there is a ton of evidence of Doncic acting like a diva, there have been many instances in games in Europe.

This is not some thing Gambo made up out of thin air, lol.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah. Actually there is. But what 18-19 year old kid would not act this way given the early success that Doncic has had. Probably just immaturity.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah. Actually there is. But what 18-19 year old kid would not act this way given the early success that Doncic has had. Probably just immaturity.
Um there is a ton of evidence of Doncic acting like a diva, there have been many instances in games in Europe.

This is not some thing Gambo made up out of thin air, lol.
I’ll believe his actual teammates and coaches over anonymous sources.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard