Gambo Said this today about Doncic .........

Sun Devil Mania

Veteran
Reaction score
He said that he does not want the Suns to pick Doncic because he is a mental case. Talk about pot calling kettle! He just makes stuff up! What planet is Gambo from?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is the only reference i've seen or heard about Doncic's character and of all people it's from Gambo, someone who thinks of himself as a true athlete on par with the guys he talks about.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This almost perfectly contradicts everything that I have heard about Doncic's mental state.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see a link to these comments.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I heard him say this a couple of months ago. I compare Gambo to a child who wants to impress people by claiming he knows things they don't. I think he gets his "inside" info from local beat writers who probably text him right before they report it. How does Gambo know about Doncic's personality? Does he follow him on Twitter or Instagram? Radio guys do nothing more than what we do on this board, they provide their opinion, they speculate and interview guys every now and then. The difference is they get paid for it. Take anything local radio guys say with a grain of salt.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Gambo has sources, but I imagine that he embellishes a lot of the information that's given to him and/or is used as a distractor by his sources.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Everything I've heard about him is how his basketball IQ is great and he's really mature for his age. I've never heard anything like this before

OP
OP
S

Sun Devil Mania

Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah provide proof and some context.

How do you provide proof and context of something he has said on the radio? Just listen to him if you don't believe me. He said it last week as well in the same context. He just says that he is a total mental case and he does not want the Suns to pick him! Plain and simple! I don't know where he would have heard this. I have heard nothing but great things about Doncic's character and talent. I think it's really destructive to say things like this about someone's character. He thinks he can say anything about anyone and not be accountable. It's disgusting! He is a master of just throwing crap against the wall and seeing what sticks!

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
There are plenty of concerns with Doncic, but his mental state is not one of them. I'd like to hear the context.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gambo has serious man crushes on Ayton & Bagley. Not a day goes by where he doesn’t mention his hope that PHX ends up with one of them. No one else exists to him. I know PHX sealed the top odds of getting the #1 pick but they actually have the better chance of landing #4. They need to be prepared if those ping pong balls don’t fall their way.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of concerns with Doncic, but his mental state is not one of them. I'd like to hear the context.

I've heard him described as "emotional" and "incredibly intense", perhaps that's the basis for Gambo's tirades?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard him described as "emotional" and "incredibly intense", perhaps that's the basis for Gambo's tirades?

If true, I will take this every day over a player that lacks the intensity. Of course it needs to be channeled but I have not read anything that describes this as a problem. I want a player that wants to get better.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Gambo has serious man crushes on Ayton & Bagley. Not a day goes by where he doesn’t mention his hope that PHX ends up with one of them. No one else exists to him. I know PHX sealed the top odds of getting the #1 pick but they actually have the better chance of landing #4. They need to be prepared if those ping pong balls don’t fall their way.
Their best odds are a top 3 pick and about 50/50 for landing in the top 2. The 4th spot is only the highest odds for one spot. Cumulatively it is the least likely spot we end up.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If true, I will take this every day over a player that lacks the intensity. Of course it needs to be channeled but I have not read anything that describes this as a problem. I want a player that wants to get better.

Yeah, I have no idea if it's a problem but I'd certainly prefer intensity over passivity. Regardless, I'm confident that the Suns and other organizations will go over and through this kid from every angle. If his emotional state suggests instability, they'll know.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Their best odds are a top 3 pick and about 50/50 for landing in the top 2. The 4th spot is only the highest odds for one spot. Cumulatively it is the least likely spot we end up.

So in other words the Suns will be picking 4th.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have no idea if it's a problem but I'd certainly prefer intensity over passivity. Regardless, I'm confident that the Suns and other organizations will go over and through this kid from every angle. If his emotional state suggests instability, they'll know.

I agree. The more I read and learn about Doncic, the more I like him. He has always been motivated to play at the next level.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
If that is what Gambo is referencing that he is clearly grasping at straws. Those can only be seen as negative if they can’t be channeled towards positive outcomes and nothing I have seen or read would suggest that Doncic has problems with channeling it properly.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like the cumulative part if the Suns do not get the first pick. :cool:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Maybe, but not because of it being the most likely from an odds standpoint.

There is a way to handle this, which is to calculate the Suns' average expected draft position.

.250*1 + .215*2 + .178*3 + .357*4 = 2.642

They are slightly more likely to finish at #3 or #4 than they are to be in the top two.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
There is a way to handle this, which is to calculate the Suns' average expected draft position.

.250*1 + .215*2 + .178*3 + .357*4 = 2.642

They are slightly more likely to finish at #3 or #4 than they are to be in the top two.
Yeah, and even more simple it is 45% for top 2 and 55% for 3-4. That being said I wasn’t talking about the third pick. The argument was that we were most likely to get the 4th and that isn’t true.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson