Potential defensive coordinators - my suggestions

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think that, if they do hire Kingsbury, he should be paired with a veteran defensive coordinator, and preferably one who has been a head coach before.

I firmly believe that a head coach should be allowed to hire his own staff, but this is just for fun, and it’s only who I think would be interesting hires. Maybe a new head coach would agree with me. Feel free to give your suggestions as well.

Remember, it doesn’t matter one bit what base defense they run, and I simply don’t know in detail about these guys preferences in gap assignments, coverage packages and so on.

Todd Bowles – former head coach of the New York Jets.

Jack Del Rio – former head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Oakland Raiders.

Chuck Pagano – former head coach of the Indianapolis Colts.

Steve Spagnuolo – former head coach of the St. Louis Rams and interim head coach of the New York Giants.

Mike Nolan – former head coach of the San Francisco 49ers.

Longshots:

John Fox – former head coach of the Carolina Panthers, Denver Broncos and Chicago Bears.

Greg Schiano – former head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (yes, I know what Ohio State-fans will think about this suggestion).

Well, and then there’s also Steve Wilks. :cheers:

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
That is a solid list...the question that needs to be asked is "what scheme?"

That group is 50/50 34 vs 43...If we are willing to move on to a 43, the investment in player "types" needs to reflect that...

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man, that’s a lot of “bleh” outside of Bowles.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That is a solid list...the question that needs to be asked is "what scheme?"

That group is 50/50 34 vs 43...If we are willing to move on to a 43, the investment in player "types" needs to reflect that...

No, Kraken, it doesn’t matter. Every defensive coordinator – literally every one of them – call plays out of a wide variety of setups. Everyone of them switches between a 3-4-setup, a 4-3-setup, a 2-5, a 3-3-5, a 3-2-6 and basically most other number combinations. It doesn’t matter what they are perceived to run, because it is simply not true.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How about Vance Joseph? He has had success in both the 3-4 and 4-3.

I thought about him, Outcent, but he has only been a defensive coordinator for one season. I just thought it was a bit underwhelming.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Joey Porter wasn't such a hot head or they could calm his rear down he'd be a good OLB coach.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How about Gregg Manusky? If he is let go.

Good call, Ronin, but I have only suggested coordinators who have been head coaches before. Manusky has been a defensive coordinator with both the Niners, the Chargers, the Colts and the Redskins, but he has never been a head coach.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Interesting question though...what scheme on defense is most compatible with an Air Raid offense?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Maybe we will get a double announcement from the team, head coach and DC at the same time. Would be nice.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Interesting question though...what scheme on defense is most compatible with an Air Raid offense?
Would you ask this about any other offense? What defensive scheme is most compatible with a WCO?

The best defenses for the modern NFL stop teams in the red zone and turn the ball over.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
No, Kraken, it doesn’t matter. Every defensive coordinator – literally every one of them – call plays out of a wide variety of setups. Everyone of them switches between a 3-4-setup, a 4-3-setup, a 2-5, a 3-3-5, a 3-2-6 and basically most other number combinations. It doesn’t matter what they are perceived to run, because it is simply not true.
I disagree, there is a big difference WRT the player body types (traits and measurables) and skills...yes, you can line up in any shell, 34, 43, nickel, dime, etc, but at the end of the day, your base defense requires different types of players.

A 5 technique DE in a 34 (single or double gap responsibility) is drastically different than a 9 technique end in a 43 and different than the 7 technique end in the same defense on the other side.

Linebacker play, assignment, and requirements is equally different...

Can some of our players project from a 34 to a 43 position shift? Sure...Gunter, who is a 5 tech end (or tackle depending on the linage of the DC) would be too big for 7 or 9 tech and too tall be an effective 3 technique in a 43.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Nice profile pic K9.

KK is from my home town (SA) and went to New Braunfels High School.

Hope you switch back to your old one though