I don't get this rebuild.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The Dbacks where in the playoffs last year, and had a good run this year. Why are they deciding on calling it quits the next few years and going rebuild? They could have maybe added a few more players and still be in contention next year.

I know they needed to upgrade their farm league, but why do it through trading great talent. Again, this rebuild this year doesn't make sense to me.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They couldn't afford to resign Pollock and Corbin, so two big pieces were gone anyways.

They went for it last two years, best they did was WC. The September meltdown killed any chance of going for it again.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The key question is what will they do with Greinke? Will they eat some of his contract or deal him to anyone willing to take entire contract? I don't think any team trades for him without money being included. If they can get a good deal for Peralta (MLB ready guys) ARZ should move him. At least Kelly & Weaver will be on the big league club Opening Day, Young looks promising so maybe he pans out.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't understand why people don't understand that trading Goldy was the right thing to do, he's 31 and while he is still productive he only has a few years of productivity. With or without Goldy we arent going anywhere, may as well get something for him. Hazen knows this...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The key question is what will they do with Greinke? Will they eat some of his contract or deal him to anyone willing to take entire contract? I don't think any team trades for him without money being included. If they can get a good deal for Peralta (MLB ready guys) ARZ should move him. At least Kelly & Weaver will be on the big league club Opening Day, Young looks promising so maybe he pans out.

Why will Kelly be on the big league club? He is a career .154 hitter, hit .111 last year and did a poor job framing pitches. He isn't even as good as John Ryan Murphy or the scrub catcher we picked up from the Braves.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why will Kelly be on the big league club? He is a career .154 hitter, hit .111 last year and did a poor job framing pitches. He isn't even as good as John Ryan Murphy or the scrub catcher we picked up from the Braves.
We lost Mathis and only Avila & Murphy are on club so its not like he is blocked. Plus he has the trait Hazen is looking for, defense with framing ability.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Diamondbacks did the right thing by not signing Goldy to a long term deal. I’m all in the full-on rebuild. Don’t half ass it.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This was a championship caliber team, if they could only resign their own players. This just highlights everything wrong with the baseball salary situation. Boston, New York, and LA are allowed to compete every year. Everyone else gets one good year in five, and has to act as the farm system for the elitist teams.

Bye Doan. Bye Corbin. Bye Goldschmidt. Bye Fitz. The D Backs were our only competitive team in town. Now they'll help us reach for the trifecta, of #1 overall picks in possibly three sports in a year's time, next season.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This was a championship caliber team, if they could only resign their own players. This just highlights everything wrong with the baseball salary situation. Boston, New York, and LA are allowed to compete every year. Everyone else gets one good year in five, and has to act as the farm system for the elitist teams.

Bye Doan. Bye Corbin. Bye Goldschmidt. Bye Fitz. The D Backs were our only competitive team in town. Now they'll help us reach for the trifecta, of #1 overall picks in possibly three sports in a year's time, next season.

This was a championship caliber team?

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
For four out of six months last season, this was the best team in baseball. May and September were dreadful, and landed the team out of the playoffs. If they were even a .500 team in those two months, this is close to a 100 win team this past year. But, they forgot how to hit in May and forgot how to play defense in September.

Get on the Lovullo firing watch now. Next year, during the rebuilding year, the team will be so bad that everyone will think he forgot how to coach, and call for his head. Maybe he can round robin trade places with Wilks and Kokoskoff who are also being blamed for losing while having to start a bunch of children.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In all of 131 MLB at bats. Wouldn’t call that a career average just yet

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't understand why people don't understand that trading Goldy was the right thing to do, he's 31 and while he is still productive he only has a few years of productivity. With or without Goldy we arent going anywhere, may as well get something for him. Hazen knows this...

Oh I fully understood the logic behind the concept of trading him, but it ONLY makes sense if we got any kind of value from him, but this is a TERRIBLE trade.

Most of us are not upset about him being traded period, but we just gave him away and it pisses us off.

That's fine, but don't take a bunch of trash in return.

Exactly, we got a big truckload of nothing. I've visited a Cardinal reddit page and they are beyond overjoyed with this trade and laughing at the Dbacks as usual.

I cant wait to see what we get for Grienke and Peralta! Hello 3rd round compensatory secodary draft pick! Can you say top 100 AA prospects? It's gonna be super awesome!

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh I fully understood the logic behind the concept of trading him, but it ONLY makes sense if we got any kind of value from him, but this is a TERRIBLE trade.

Most of us are not upset about him being traded period, but we just gave him away and it pisses us off.

Exactly, we got a big truckload of nothing. I've visited a Cardinal reddit page and they are beyond overjoyed with this trade and laughing at the Dbacks as usual.

I cant wait to see what we get for Grienke and Peralta! Hello 3rd round compensatory secodary draft pick! Can you say top 100 AA prospects? It's gonna be super awesome!

Greinke won't bring much because of the contact. Peralta because of age. Goldy because of impending fee agency. The Dbacks made the bed and now they have to sleep in it. You shouldn't be happy about it but I think you need to face the simple reality.

The Dbacks waited one year too long.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I agree. But at this point it is all on Hazen.

I don't know if I agree. Does anyone REALLY want to pay a 32-28 year old Goldschmidt 25 million a year?

I do understand both sides though. Goldschmidt WAS the Dbacks. So this one hurts.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hazen is not a dumb guy, that is probably the best deal we could get for Goldy, particularly being an free agent in 1 year, most teams wouldnt want to give up the entire farm for a possible 1 year rental.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

We were not close to a “championship caliber team.”
And Doan retired, and Fitz is still here... What’s your point?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Coyotes are fun to watch and seem to be coming out of their rebuild. Don't sleep on them...and be ready for Dbacks in 3 years. I think both teams have similar GMs.

The Sun's could really learn from the Coyotes on how to complete a rebuild and be competitive and fun to watch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Here's what you should be saying to the Cards fans...it's a little ironic that the Cards had Pujols on a low contract for years, and when he was 31ish, they traded him because they saw the decline coming and didn't want to pay for it. With Goldy they just went against what they historically do.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose