Spurs @ Suns 10-31-18

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yeah I’m not buying that. He’s got a nice jump hook. He’s got a nice jumper. He has touch on layups around the bucket. He just doesn’t use his body with authority. That isn’t an acquired skill. That’s two things: (1) having the physical ability (he has that in abundance) and (2) having the mindset (don’t see it).
I basically agree with you on the talent, but the skills I mentioned I am not seeing him able to do those things. That must not be part of his game yet. Obviously he needs to learn those things. I didn't see him back down guys in the college games I watched. He's doing everything on natural ability. This was like Wilt when he first came in. He did everything just being so very physically overwhelming. Later he learned to dribble and back guys down. He lead the NBA in assists one year when he learned to pass out of the post. Ayton isn't even bodying up on rebounds yet. There is tremendous upside just learning NBA skills.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If I could buy you a drink right now, I would!
Haha. I’m really okay. I haven’t gotten to watch the last three games so this is the first I’m seeing this futility in a week or so. Seeing it live is just so disappointing.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Haha. I’m really okay. I haven’t gotten to watch the last three games so this is the first I’m seeing this futility in a week or so. Seeing it live is just so disappointing.
It's not pretty. The talent level of SA is way better than the Suns. Comparing the two teams, I can see why we need a new GM.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Even up 28 the spurs don’t let up a layup and chandler misses free throw. Our guys need to learn about that.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know we are missing our best player, but the consistent lack of competitiveness is concerning.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know we are missing our best player, but the consistent lack of competitiveness is concerning.

Agreed. Devin Booker is not the reason for the Suns lack of defense.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
New starting line up

Booker
Bridges
Warren
Ariza
Ayton

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I understand the shortcomings of this team. They are clear to see. And I understand that Ayton needs good guard okay to maximize his ability. What I’m saying is, when he does get the ball in good position he needs to take advantage of it and he’s not. And that frustrates me because we’ve never had a guy that’s capable of what he’s capable of, but not doing.

As for the claim that someone just made that “he’s raw” that is certainly NOT the case offensively. Defensively sure. But he was incredibly skilled in college and it’s translates over in the pros. Is he inexperienced? Yes. But not raw. What I’m seeing is passivity. Disagree with me fine. But that’s what I’m seeing.

He's averaging 17 points a game as a rookie I honestly don't know what your expecting. I think you have a very unrealistic view of what's going on. He's a doing great.

Hell if he had a guy spoon feeding him like Nash did Amare he might be averaging 25.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need to play better if we want to win this game. (as I choke on my Halloween candy)

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can shuffle the Suns lineup but I don't see any cure for the Suns defense. Defense has to come from effort and coaching. It's a team breakdown.