Josh Jackson

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's game over for Bender he can have all the talent in the world he just doesn't have that dog in him and not even a little bit. I have never in my life seen a player pass up layups more than Bender. He just doesn't have it.

Chriss is a headcase who knows with him the talent is there no doubt but he might be the single dumbest player I have ever seen.

Jackson looks to be very much the real deal. Him and Booker are solid building blocks

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's game over for Bender he can have all the talent in the world he just doesn't have that dog in him and not even a little bit. I have never in my life seen a player pass up layups more than Bender. He just doesn't have it.

Chriss is a headcase who knows with him the talent is there no doubt but he might be the single dumbest player I have ever seen.

Jackson looks to be very much the real deal. Him and Booker are solid building blocks

I don't know if he's the leader in that stat or not but we've seen our share of passed up layups and bunnies through the years. It use to annoy me no end when Kidd would get to the rim and kick it out to Marion or whoever for the 3. It put a lot of pressure on the shooter, knowing that Kidd passed rather than take the easy layup. Boris Diaw was also frequently guilty of passing it rather than taking the wide open shot. It stands out more for Bender because unlike the other players, there's very few positives with his play so the passivity tends to define him.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know if he's the leader in that stat or not but we've seen our share of passed up layups and bunnies through the years. It use to annoy me no end when Kidd would get to the rim and kick it out to Marion or whoever for the 3. It put a lot of pressure on the shooter, knowing that Kidd passed rather than take the easy layup. Boris Diaw was also frequently guilty of passing it rather than taking the wide open shot. It stands out more for Bender because unlike the other players, there's very few positives with his play so the passivity tends to define him.

Your talking about two very very different players. Jason Kidd was one of the most gifted natural passers in the history of the NBA. He's the ultimate pass first PG. That was pretty much his job get in the paint draw the defense and kick it out.

Diaw is another player who had all kinds of talent but just never really seemed to want it. I think that's a good comparison to Bender.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it wasn't the same thing but I remember being convinced at the time that Jason's passing was putting unnecessary stress on players such as Marion. I'm not talking about the normal assist opportunities, I'm talking about the times Jason would get all the way to the rim (often times undefended) and opt to pass instead. My memory is that we shot very poorly on those particular plays and it's not like today's game where it might actually be by plan.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know it wasn't the same thing but I remember being convinced at the time that Jason's passing was putting unnecessary stress on players such as Marion. I'm not talking about the normal assist opportunities, I'm talking about the times Jason would get all the way to the rim (often times undefended) and opt to pass instead. My memory is that we shot very poorly on those particular plays and it's not like today's game where it might actually be by plan.

If getting a pass from Jason Kidd so you can shoot puts stress on you then you shouldn't be in the NBA

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He needs to stop playmaking. At this point, we're better off having the offense run through Ayton (similar to how Denver does with Jokic) than let Jackson attempt playmaking.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I maintain that the lack of a point guard, more than anything else, is disrupting Josh Jackson's development.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was trying to temper my expectations. :p

Wouldn't it be awesome if the Suns hit on all of their picks in the 2016 draft: Bender, Chriss and Ulis.
If we hit on Ayton, Okobo, and Bridges it would be awesome. And that is still quite possible. Let's be honest. Okobo has had the best performance of a Suns pg so far this year. In fact, its not really even close.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If we hit on Ayton, Okobo, and Bridges it would be awesome. And that is still quite possible. Let's be honest. Okobo has had the best performance of a Suns pg so far this year. In fact, its not really even close.
Is that really much of an accomplishment?

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
He looked great yesterday 18 7 and 5.

Igor needs to at least try a starting line up of:

Okobo
Booker
TJ
Ariza
Ayton

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your memories are sooooooo correct. I hated this about Kidd.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He looked great yesterday 18 7 and 5.

Igor needs to at least try a starting line up of:

Okobo
Booker
TJ
Ariza
Ayton
I am wondering if our best starting line up might be Ayton, TJ, Bridges, Booker, and Okobo.

Three rookies. Yikes.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I am wondering if our best starting line up might be Ayton, TJ, Bridges, Booker, and Okobo.

Three rookies. Yikes.

The Suns AREN'T challenging for a playoff spot. Might as well figure out they have.

The problem the Suns face is that not only are they trying to hammer down their future starting lineup, but the rotational players are pretty bad as well. I'd like to see a lineup of Okobo, Booker, Jackson, Warren, and Ayton. Probably not enough three point shooting, but there is some good passing, two wings who try on defense, and a good low post threat. Plus it's a young lineup, and relegates two negatives (Ariza and Anderson) to the bench.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Three rookies. Yikes.

Ayton can hold his own though. Bridges and Oko play like rookies still but out of the younger guys, we need to see what they are sooner than later.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton can hold his own though. Bridges and Oko play like rookies still but out of the younger guys, we need to see what they are sooner than later.

I think it would be best to let them watch and learn from the veterans and eventually move into the lineup when they are more ready. Unfortunately, it looks like our veterans are only capable of teaching them how to lose so option 2 seems to be our only real choice. Play the kids, bench the geriatric squad.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm very excited about Okobo. He has shown flashes of what I want to see in a point guard plus he has a beautiful shot.

Ayton and Bridges have gotten most of the attention but I think the Suns may have found a gem in the 2nd round with Okobo. It would be awesome if the Suns hit on their first three picks in the 2018 draft.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it would be best to let them watch and learn from the veterans and eventually move into the lineup when they are more ready. Unfortunately, it looks like our veterans are only capable of teaching them how to lose so option 2 seems to be our only real choice. Play the kids, bench the geriatric squad.

What can Ayton watch and learn from Chandler at this point in Chandler's career, not much I'd say. They have opposite skill sets as well. A young Chandler was great at blocks, rim protection and finishing lobs. Ayton is more skilled on offense and starts from the outside-in.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What can Ayton watch and learn from Chandler at this point in Chandler's career, not much I'd say. They have opposite skill sets as well. A young Chandler was great at blocks, rim protection and finishing lobs. Ayton is more skilled on offense and starts from the outside-in.

Yeah, I wasn't talking about Ayton (or Booker for that matter). I'm talking about the young players who wouldn't get much court time if they were playing on a well balanced veteran team. But our veterans offer very little so I see no point in making Okobo, Bender, Melton or Bridges play behind them. Maybe scratch Bender or any of them if they aren't in our long term plans. But we need to be more focused on player development than anything else; the wins will follow eventually.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I wasn't talking about Ayton (or Booker for that matter). I'm talking about the young players who wouldn't get much court time if they were playing on a well balanced veteran team. But our veterans offer very little so I see no point in making Okobo, Bender, Melton or Bridges play behind them. Maybe scratch Bender or any of them if they aren't in our long term plans. But we need to be more focused on player development than anything else; the wins will follow eventually.

The longer the Suns play without a veteran point guard they are almost committing to another rebuild season by default. They are nearing the point (if not there already) they should play the younger players like last season. The 2018 draft class really looks bright.

However, I do want to add Anderson really put forth a strong effort in the Thunder game. I seen some fire in his game and I want to give him credit. Ariza has been a disappointment thus far.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
However, I do want to add Anderson really put forth a strong effort in the Thunder game. I seen some fire in his game and I want to give him credit. Ariza has been a disappointment thus far.

Yeah, he looked a lot better than Ariza last game. This is what I would expect out of both of these guys, but other than vs Dallas they've both been very passive.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’ve said this about Anderson all season, it’s not that he isn’t playing hard - watch him, he is - it’s just that he’s so very limited athletically that if his jumper isn’t falling consistently enough he becomes a real liability. I have no anger with Anderson because he’s one of the few guys that seems to be playing hard at all times, albeit ineffectively.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
JJ played Westbrook great in the first half. I would like to see JJ, Ayton and Bender on the floor. I think maybe our three best defenders.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort