2018-19 Season | Point Guard Discussion

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was thinking about this: had McD had any foresight or ability to be even a substandard GM, he would’ve found a way to get McConnell when he traded for Bridges. That unprotected Miami first, Z. Smith, and 2 seconds may have done the trick.

I would scratch the 2 2nd's from that pick. At that point it was Philly calling us, according to all reports. Smith was on the board and was the player they were interested in. Of course they liked Bridges more so we needed to throw something else in to even things out but asking for McConnell then should have happened. Worse case, we cut him like we did with Reed and Harrison. Hell, we did a deal with them later for Holmes also. We had 2 trades with Philly this offseason and didn't get a PG in either of them. Apparently McD didn't even build enough rapport with Philly to find a way to make a McConnell trade work. It would have been better to send Dudley out for Bayless.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying a couple 2nd round picks should have killed the deal but McD should have offered the Bucks pick and 16 for Bridges or the Heat pick and 16 for Bridges & McConnell. If Philly doesn't want either, fine, we take who we had eyes on and move forward with assets in tow.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Take a look at his shooting efficiency and turnover numbers, as well as his defense, last year, and get back to me on that.

His best shooting month was April, his best assist months were all after New Years. He didn't defend well at any point, but neither did anyone else.

So... I got back to you.

I agree we need a better point guard, but your analysis of Booker is completely without merit to the point where it seems like you're either willfully ignorant, intellectually dishonest or flat out trolling.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would scratch the 2 2nd's from that pick. At that point it was Philly calling us, according to all reports. Smith was on the board and was the player they were interested in. Of course they liked Bridges more so we needed to throw something else in to even things out but asking for McConnell then should have happened. Worse case, we cut him like we did with Reed and Harrison. Hell, we did a deal with them later for Holmes also. We had 2 trades with Philly this offseason and didn't get a PG in either of them. Apparently McD didn't even build enough rapport with Philly to find a way to make a McConnell trade work. It would have been better to send Dudley out for Bayless.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying a couple 2nd round picks should have killed the deal but McD should have offered the Bucks pick and 16 for Bridges or the Heat pick and 16 for Bridges & McConnell. If Philly doesn't want either, fine, we take who we had eyes on and move forward with assets in tow.
Its so hard to know exactly how the negotiations went behind closed doors.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
His best shooting month was April, his best assist months were all after New Years. He didn't defend well at any point, but neither did anyone else.

So... I got back to you.

I agree we need a better point guard, but your analysis of Booker is completely without merit to the point where it seems like you're either willfully ignorant, intellectually dishonest or flat out trolling.

Actually, you just illustrated my point. The times you are referencing were after the Booker at the point experiment was mercifully scrapped.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind about Point Book is that he had no one to pass to last year. This year he will have slashing threats in JJ and Warren, shooting with Anderson, Ariza and even Canaan and also a legit interior threat in Ayton. He will be in a much better position to play point this year than last year.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually, you just illustrated my point. The times you are referencing were after the Booker at the point experiment was mercifully scrapped.

When do you think that experiment was? I recall it happening in January and February which line up more with what Phrazbit said than you. He pointed out his highest assist totals were after the New Year, when he was tried at PG, that was after Canaan went down.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Umm... no. You have consistently claimed that Booker was worn out and struggled in the later parts of the year because of having to run the offense and you just 2 posts ago were claiming that his shooting numbers went down at the year went on.

This style of debating is really disingenuous. Please. Just admit you didn't look up the numbers and were mistaken, no part of what has been shown statistically backs up one iota of your claims about Booker last season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every time I see point guard waived, I take note.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Umm... no. You have consistently claimed that Booker was worn out and struggled in the later parts of the year because of having to run the offense and you just 2 posts ago were claiming that his shooting numbers went down at the year went on.

This style of debating is really disingenuous. Please. Just admit you didn't look up the numbers and were mistaken, no part of what has been shown statistically backs up one iota of your claims about Booker last season.
A question for ya. Shouldn't 'injured' be included with worn out and struggled?

Doesn't being weary leave a player (especially your best scorer) more susceptible to injury in a league with so much physical contact on every play?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A question for ya. Shouldn't 'injured' be included with worn out and struggled?

Doesn't being weary leave a player (especially your best scorer) more susceptible to injury in a league with so much physical contact on every play?
He hurt his hand... it's not like his legs gave out.

His usage rate is in line with any other player held in his status.

This narrative is inane.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think this is a surprise... Booker playing point guard in certain situations.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What if the rockets suck this year. Would you want the Suns to trade for waaay overpaid Chris Paul?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if the rockets suck this year. Would you want the Suns to trade for waaay overpaid Chris Paul?

No way. It might have made sense for the Rockets to give the oft-injured PG 44 Million when he's 38, but it's a bad move for any other team IMO.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'd say no. He's overpaid by an insane amount.

No way. It might have made sense for the Rockets to give the oft-injured PG 44 Million when he's 38, but it's a bad move for any other team IMO.

I could see the Clippers or maybe the Pelicans bringing him back on that deal to retire in one of their jerseys but that's it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK. I have a question for you all. If you could choose any pg in the league to pair with Devin Booker, who would it be?

Forget contract, pay scale, or even age. Just purely from a basketball, on the court point of view.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. I have a question for you all. If you could choose any pg in the league to pair with Devin Booker, who would it be?

Forget contract, pay scale, or even age. Just purely from a basketball, on the court point of view.

Trae Young. But I didn't ignore age or healthy risks, otherwise Curry would be tops.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Steph Curry.

Then it would be Simmons, and then Lillard.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For me, its Chris Paul. Defense is important. Second is probably John Wall if his defense is still decent. Wall gets completely ignored because of that huge contract.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i'm excited about TJ Warren showing new skills and lighting things up
-- just what we need from him
but we need a pg even more!

would you consider trading Warren for a pg now that his stock is high?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm excited about TJ Warren showing new skills and lighting things up
-- just what we need from him
but we need a pg even more!

would you consider trading Warren for a pg now that his stock is high?

Yes, if the point guard is the equal of Warren as an NBA player. If not, no. I would not take a long term hit to make a short term improvement. I'd still look for a step up at the PG position but I'd use the Milwaukee pick or something like that.