Chriss and Knight traded

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Bull pucky! That guy is going to be the greatest second rounder this side of the Parker-Ginobli-stopper... DJ Strawberry!
That's funny but this guy Melton can shoot, has good measures and plays defense, so while I'm not expecting anything from him (or Okobo or Reed) it will be fun to watch his/their progress (hopefully) but my main take aways is no Knight, no Chriss, another veteran (we're too young) and that's fine.

Most excited about dad, Ayton and Jackson. Ariza and Bridges are bonuses. Rush hour also. It will be the best year in quite a while, guys!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree, everyone is overrating Melton up to this point. Our abundance of lower tiered pg's is blinding everyone.

My understanding is Melton has not been signed to a contract. It's likely the Suns have tendered him an offer though in order to keep his rights.

It's hard to overrate a PG that has not been signed to a contract. Hopefully the Suns sign him to a multi-year contract when they clear salary space.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wait, your father's on the team? He's a point guard, I hope!

I believe he's talking about Booker. If you ever visit the Suns Reddit almost everyone there refers to Booker as "dad" or some other way of saying he's their father. It's definitely bizarre. I don't know why they do it but you'll see him referenced that way more often than people calling him "Booker" there.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That's funny but this guy Melton can shoot, has good measures and plays defense, so while I'm not expecting anything from him (or Okobo or Reed) it will be fun to watch his/their progress (hopefully) but my main take aways is no Knight, no Chriss, another veteran (we're too young) and that's fine.

Most excited about dad, Ayton and Jackson. Ariza and Bridges are bonuses. Rush hour also. It will be the best year in quite a while, guys!
I thought the book on him was he can’t shoot.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I believe he's talking about Booker. If you ever visit the Suns Reddit almost everyone there refers to Booker as "dad" or some other way of saying he's their father. It's definitely bizarre. I don't know why they do it but you'll see him referenced that way more often than people calling him "Booker" there.
That’s just weird

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Doesn't matter. He accused many of us of being "blinded" by him and overrating him. I disagree with that wholeheartedly.
He actually used the term "everyone". When you do that on this board, you are going to get called out. Good on you Chap.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think this is the primary reason we trade Chriss. Holmes does what we wanted from Chriss, but with a consistent motor and better attitude.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah, this fantasy that a guy drafted in the 40s is going to turn out to be the steal of decade is going to come crashing to earth in a hurry.
Yeah why even think he will be a steal...you are right. My bad thinking he could be a Horny...Steve Jackson...Marc Gasol...Mike Redd....Manu....Millsap..Korver....Ellis....Dragic. Yeah why would I ever think we could get a steal in the 40s

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
I think this is the primary reason we trade Chriss. Holmes does what we wanted from Chriss, but with a consistent motor and better attitude.

I can see that. I can also see Chriss being very good or on the way out the door very quickly. MDA has always seemed to make guys better. He gives players a chance to succeed. However if he becomes lazy I doubt CP3, Harden or Tucker will put up with his nonsense. If he does buy in I can see him playing small ball center. He could really add another dimension to their team.

I really do not know who will be the winner of this trade.

If MDA gets both Knight and Chriss to be productive while getting Melo to contribute for the team, he will be a magician.

The odds have to be in favor of the Rockets. Morey wins a lot of these trades. He really has done a fantastic job.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Holmes is a wildcard. This isn't some second round flier, his stats, on limited minutes, are legitimately impressive. The stat that stood out the most was a nearly 3-1 assist to turnover ratio, that is really rare from a big.

Defensively though, the highlights are nice, but Chriss had some really impressive highlights too. They're both really iffy on D thus far.

In general, I'm holding my breath. This is a dude that was traded for cash considerations. The stats are nice, the highlights are nice... but there has gotta be a shoe dangling. Like a hot, fun girlfriend... who foams at the mouth and starts punching people when she's had too many drinks.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah why even think he will be a steal...you are right. My bad thinking he could be a Horny...Steve Jackson...Marc Gasol...Mike Redd....Manu....Millsap..Korver....Ellis....Dragic. Yeah why would I ever think we could get a steal in the 40s

There have been good players taken in the 2nd round but the Suns turned down the chance to draft Melton with the 31st pick so he wasn't that high on their radar. He had a good Summer League and that raised his stock some but Mike James had a good Summer League last year and we saw how that turned out.

There's usually one, maybe two, good 2nd round pick's that make a good career for themselves nowadays. Everyone you mentioned was drafted a decade ago, if not longer more. The foreign prospects are quite different also since they were pros that came to the NBA rather than players who didn't play organized basketball for an entire year after they graduated high school. If Melton went overseas or joined the G-League then I'd feel a lot more comfortable about him being a breakout talent but you can't just ignore that he hasn't played in over a year.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I keep forgetting about Holmes. If nothing else he's Chriss with a better attitude and 2 inches taller. I know their draft positioning was different but putting that all aside, they're both athletic bigs with good hops and are solid athletes. Holmes ability to play Center without giving up size is one of the reasons he could end up being valuable to us. With Chandler here we really need to carry a 3rd Center. It would be ideal if we could bump Chandler from the rotation entirely but since he's old and on his last legs anyway, I doubt he'll play in 50 games even if he does have a regular spot in the rotation. He's just too fragile at this point.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I keep forgetting about Holmes. If nothing else he's Chriss with a better attitude and 2 inches taller. I know their draft positioning was different but putting that all aside, they're both athletic bigs with good hops and are solid athletes. Holmes ability to play Center without giving up size is one of the reasons he could end up being valuable to us. With Chandler here we really need to carry a 3rd Center. It would be ideal if we could bump Chandler from the rotation entirely but since he's old and on his last legs anyway, I doubt he'll play in 50 games even if he does have a regular spot in the rotation. He's just too fragile at this point.

I don't know where you get that Holmes is 2 inches taller. Both are listed at 6'10" (and I have seen some sites list Holmes at 6'8" or even 6'7"). I certainly get the better attitude part, though.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
There have been good players taken in the 2nd round but the Suns turned down the chance to draft Melton with the 31st pick so he wasn't that high on their radar.
That a false equivalency if it is true that Okobo was rated as a possible pick at #16 by us. Yes, he was taken at #31. But if we had taken Okobo at #16, there's nothing that says we wouldn't have taken Melton at #31. We'll probably never know, but using reasoning that he must not be good because we never considered him at #31 might not be accurate.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In general, I'm holding my breath. This is a dude that was traded for cash considerations. The stats are nice, the highlights are nice... but there has gotta be a shoe dangling. Like a hot, fun girlfriend... who foams at the mouth and starts punching people when she's had too many drinks.

I'm with you on the last paragraph. The 76ers parted with Holmes for only a million dollars. This has to say something although I'm hoping he fulfills a need.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There have been good players taken in the 2nd round but the Suns turned down the chance to draft Melton with the 31st pick so he wasn't that high on their radar. He had a good Summer League and that raised his stock some but Mike James had a good Summer League last year and we saw how that turned out.

There's usually one, maybe two, good 2nd round pick's that make a good career for themselves nowadays. Everyone you mentioned was drafted a decade ago, if not longer more. The foreign prospects are quite different also since they were pros that came to the NBA rather than players who didn't play organized basketball for an entire year after they graduated high school. If Melton went overseas or joined the G-League then I'd feel a lot more comfortable about him being a breakout talent but you can't just ignore that he hasn't played in over a year.
I was just naming the ones in the 40s...i could fill the page with 2nd round only. I can go current if you like....jokic...clarkson...Covington...the original comment was about upside chriss or melton hands down I think its melton. On hustle alone he kills chriss

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

You're right. That fact that something has happened a few times out of hundreds of chances means that it has probably happened again right now. I don't know what I was thinking.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
the original comment was about upside chriss or melton hands down I think its melton.

If there were a way for Chriss to have re-entered the 2018 draft, after everyone saw what he did his first two years in Phoenix, he would still be taken in the first round, probably in the teens. There's no one in the league that believes Melton to have greater upside than Chriss, except maybe a couple of marks in the Phoenix front office.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If there were a way for Chriss to have re-entered the 2018 draft, after everyone saw what he did his first two years in Phoenix, he would still be taken in the first round, probably in the teens. There's no one in the league that believes Melton to have greater upside than Chriss, except maybe a couple of marks in the Phoenix front office.
You may want to do some reading as almost every article basically is more negative on chriss and how we got the best player in the deal.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You could think it, but to rely upon it, expect it, or assign him that value is a little silly considering for each of the 9 players you named we could probably name 100s whose you don’t even know because they sucked.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You may want to do some reading as almost every article basically is more negative on chriss and how we got the best player in the deal.
I don’t recall reading anything that wasn’t from a fanboy stating what you’re stating.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don’t recall reading anything that wasn’t from a fanboy stating what you’re stating.
The original post said if chriss was to go back in the draft hes being drafted in the 1st....i don't think so. I think Melton destroys him in every statistic ...we shall see

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The original post said if chriss was to go back in the draft hes being drafted in the 1st....i don't think so. I think Melton destroys him in every statistic ...we shall see

I have no knowledge about Melton but yeah, I don't think Chriss draws any interest in the first round in a re-draft.