Chriss and Knight traded

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We got the player with the most upside. I'll take it. Watching pathetic chriss and pathetic knight is something I was not looking forward to seeing
I think the majority of the world would still consider chriss the player with “the most upside” even if we don’t.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think the majority of the world would still consider chriss the player with “the most upside” even if we don’t.

Yeah, this fantasy that a guy drafted in the 40s is going to turn out to be the steal of decade is going to come crashing to earth in a hurry.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no clue who won this trade, it still makes little sense to me. But as for Chriss, I think if he gets his head on straight and reaches his potential he could eventually become the next Josh Smith. If that happens, he'll put up good numbers but fans of opposing teams will always wonder why he doesn't get much respect around the league.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this fantasy that a guy drafted in the 40s is going to turn out to be the steal of decade is going to come crashing to earth in a hurry.

Bull pucky! That guy is going to be the greatest second rounder this side of the Parker-Ginobli-stopper... DJ Strawberry!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We got the player with the most upside. I'll take it. Watching pathetic chriss and pathetic knight is something I was not looking forward to seeing
Anderson is a better player than Knight. If we had pulled off a Knight for Anderson trade in the last three years, most here would have applauded I think. So, Chriss for Melton? Meh.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As a side note, I like the Thunder's acquisition of Schroder more than the Rockets acquisition of Anthony. Westbrook needs the help coming off knee surgery.
Schroeder needs a lobotomy to not be a net negative. That dude is basically Knight... only worse on defense and more of a ball hog. Personally, I think Sam Presti has rapidly gone from being one of the best to being one of the worst GMs in the league. It is astounding how badly he screwed up the monster contender he created.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Given the results of the "worst player" poll, I'm surprised how many people are confused or low on this trade. Chriss and Knight seemed to cause the most consternation than any players on the roster, with Bender following closely behind.

Anderson has proven he can be a real contributor on a good team. He's an unquestionably bad defender but I'd hope we'd all come to terms with the value of a true floor spacing big when we saw the Suns go from no-Frye in 2013, to Frye in 2014, to no Frye in 2015. The impact of "tall shooty guy" us huge.

I think Knight is what he is; turning a bad defensive, selfish player with awful shot selection into a net positive is something rarely done. Houston might be ideal because there is no way he can justify such idiotic play, but the odds are still against him.

Chriss, I actually think can still be a decent player, he's not good at anything, not even average at anything, but he's also not terrible at anything either. That is low praise, but IMO we've been one of the worst coached teams for a few years now and Romar (his coach at Washingon) is also terrible at player development. I do think he could come back to haunt us, but not to the Josh Smith extent someone else mentioned. I think he could become a good transition offensive player who is solid defensively. Sort of like what the Morrii have (much to my chagrin) turned into.

Melton... he's a second round pick. He was a big time recruit a few years ago but the odds are better that he's playing in Turkey in 2 years than him being a legit starter. But, seeing as we're devoid of a true starting caliber PG, might as well roll the dice.

This trade, at face value, is fine with me. I don't see it really burning us and I think Anderson will help other players develop offensively. I hate a cluttered court.

However, when you look at this trade from the lens of how we arrived here... obviously... it freaking sucks. As I said earlier. If McD gets canned at the end of the year, the Brandon Knight saga should open the obituary.

Errntknght

Reaction score
If the Rocks get something out of Knight and Chriss, i'll still be glad that we jettisoned them. They were both given good opportunities here and didn't use them to a good end - could be coaching, I suppose... but neither was singled out that I saw.

There's a chance Igor can get Benders head in the right place. Probably still a longshot, just less long.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I'm inclind to think McD lives and dies with Kokoskov - in the short run. If the perception around the league is that Igor was a good hire, he'll live another year. That probably translates to 32 wins - more than a 50% increase. Probably have to make the playoffs the next year to keep hanging on.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
I'm curious, what people here think the suns record would have been last year had booker not been injured and we were playing to win every game instead at looking forward to the draft.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do think he could come back to haunt us, but not to the Josh Smith extent someone else mentioned. I think he could become a good transition offensive player who is solid defensively.

I'm the one that suggested Josh Smith as his ceiling comp and I was actually kind of proud of it. But I didn't mean it as a positive. I didn't see it at the time but fans that watched him regularly always talked about his impact on the game being far less positive than his stats. That's what I see in Marquese's future. If he reaches his potential, I see a player that might average 18 and 8 with a spectacular block or two but won't do much to improve his team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure why you think this is a Knight for Anderson and Chriss for Melton trade. It is obvious the Suns value Anderson far more than Knight so it’s not a one for one trade.

Of course it depends on how one looks at the trade. I prefer to look at it from a positional standpoint.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Schroeder needs a lobotomy to not be a net negative. That dude is basically Knight... only worse on defense and more of a ball hog. Personally, I think Sam Presti has rapidly gone from being one of the best to being one of the worst GMs in the league. It is astounding how badly he screwed up the monster contender he created.

I'd still take Schroder over Anthony but I wouldn't do either.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong, i like both okobo and Melton as prospects, but I’m not pinning any realistic hope on them panning our much less assigning them a ton of value in trade scenarios.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm curious, what people here think the suns record would have been last year had booker not been injured and we were playing to win every game instead at looking forward to the draft.

Sans Booker injury and the team really going for it, I suspect they would have won 5-8 more games. That could be optimistic but we lost to some bad teams during that stretch.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How can Chriss come back to bite us? Even if he plays reasonably well for Houston, he did not succeed with this team for a variety of reasons.

Keeping him as PF would not have helped take pressure off Ayton.

In a sense that he may eventually be the best involved in the trade. I still see a lot upside, and with the Suns luck he'll reach it and we will look back on this trade and bash McD even more.

My point has nothing to do with helping Ayton, or Chriss vs Bender, etc. Strictly speaking about the players involved in the trade.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong, i like both okobo and Melton as prospects, but I’m not pinning any realistic hope on them panning our much less assigning them a ton of value in trade scenarios.

Agree, everyone is overrating Melton up to this point. Our abundance of lower tiered pg's is blinding everyone.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Agree, everyone is overrating Melton up to this point. Our abundance of lower tiered pg's is blinding everyone.
Come on. That's pretty accusatory.

Let's really look at this: Melton, if he played this past season, would have been a 1st round draft pick -- in fact, I've seen a few publications that said he would have fallen into the teens had he played.

How can we be overrating a guy when his only competition on this team is Shaq/Canaan/Okobo? In a group of "bad", "not as bad" isn't overrating. Consider his competition at this point.

And to my knowledge, nobody has said he's the next Steph Curry.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Let's really look at this: Melton, if he played this past season, would have been a 1st round draft pick -- in fact, I've seen a few publications that said he would have fallen into the teens had he played.

How can we be overrating a guy when his only competition on this team is Shaq/Canaan/Okobo? In a group of "bad", "not as bad" isn't overrating. Consider his competition at this point.

Also, Melton's only real in-game competition was summer league.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I think it gives you more chances at success, but yes neither are likely to be starters. My hope is that one of them fills that Leandro Barbosa, offense off the bench role (Okobo), or defensive lockdown guy off the bench (Melton).

I don't think Chriss has show enough over the past few years to champion keeping him. I think that what this says, is that the team saw enough on the court AND behind the scenes to know that Chriss isn't likely to meet his potential here.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Sans Booker injury and the team really going for it, I suspect they would have won 5-8 more games. That could be optimistic but we lost to some bad teams during that stretch.

I was thinking around 5 more games as well. Booker is a good enough player that the Suns would've been better with him in the lineup, especially when the team lost to other tankers.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Chap, I think the “If had played he would’ve been a first round” story is really a false narrative. If any nba team believed he had that talent they wouldn’t wait until the second round just becasue he didn’t play, they would have snatched him to avoid losing him to another team. The truth of the matter is he was passed up 40-something times. That means teams wanted at least 40-something players more than they wanted Melton. Is it possible his stock may have improved with another season of NCAA play? Sure. But he also could have undrafted had he already peaked. We really can’t know either way. What we can know is that the league decided there were 40-something other players they wanted more. Thus I find it disingenuous to consider him anything more than a high 2nd round flyer.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Yeah I haven't seen anyone "overrating" Melton. I think most people on this board think he'll probably end up being dog pooh in the NBA, but there is an off chance he could develop into a solid player.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chap, I think the “If had played he would’ve been a first round” story is really a false narrative. If any nba team believed he had that talent they wouldn’t wait until the second round just becasue he didn’t play, they would have snatched him to avoid losing him to another team. The truth of the matter is he was passed up 40-something times. That means teams wanted at least 40-something players more than they wanted Melton. Is it possible his stock may have improved with another season of NCAA play? Sure. But he also could have undrafted had he already peaked. We really can’t know either way. What we can know is that the league decided there were 40-something other players they wanted more. Thus I find it disingenuous to consider him anything more than a high 2nd round flyer.
Doesn't matter. He accused many of us of being "blinded" by him and overrating him. I disagree with that wholeheartedly.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson