"White People Food"

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Minorities have challenges for eating healthy food because of education and stigmas.....

“You’ve got the dominant culture in the USA being white culture,” black restaurateur Dr. Baruch Ben-Yehudah told HuffPost. “And that white culture has taken the power to define all things good as white, and all things white as good. So that definition of healthy eating is not an accurate depiction of eating healthy.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/white-people-food_us_5b75c270e4b0df9b093dadbb

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very good article.

It also touches on a point we see here in Arizona - dieticians are overwhelmingly white females. Makes it harder to relate to others.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought this was going to be about mac and cheese. Very disappointed (-:

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Article seems racist against dieticians. Too many female whites for them to be trusted.

This is as over the top an effort to be offended that I've seen. What are we saying? That eating healthy seems like a 'white' pursuit, so we minorities can't do it?
Tanisha's diet was saturated with McDonalds and Taco Bell. When she found out she was unhealthy and looked into eating better, the diet seemed so white it felt like she was being discriminated against? Come on. White people and healthy people are not the same group, and neither of them makes a habit of candied crusted almond salads, pressed kale extractions or hydrogen infused water, even if Goop says so.

Eat fresh fruits and vegetables, and clean meats. Quick, easy, cheap, and healthy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Article seems racist against dieticians. Too many female whites for them to be trusted.

This is as over the top an effort to be offended that I've seen. What are we saying? That eating healthy seems like a 'white' pursuit, so we minorities can't do it?
Tanisha's diet was saturated with McDonalds and Taco Bell. When she found out she was unhealthy and looked into eating better, the diet seemed so white it felt like she was being discriminated against? Come on. White people and healthy people are not the same group, and neither of them makes a habit of candied crusted almond salads, pressed kale extractions or hydrogen infused water, even if Goop says so.

Eat fresh fruits and vegetables, and clean meats. Quick, easy, cheap, and healthy.

It was a bit over the top yes but there is some truth to it. I have a friend who is a dietitian, her mom is Indian, her dad is white. She looks white with a mix of something. She told me before that while studying nutrition in college she would often be at odds with what they were being taught because she knew her indian mom was making meals that were more nutritiious and had less calories but the people teaching her were telling her Indian food was bad for her.

Anecdotal of course

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was going to be about rice, mashed potatoes, and vanilla ice cream.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought it was going to be about moon pies, boiled peanuts and RC cola.

The first time I got drunk in high school was on Blue Tarantula Tequila mixed with RC Cola. Surprisingly, in my adult years I've never seen that on a cocktail menu.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose