The 'Green Zone' on Sunday Night Football!?!?

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Did anyone else see it?

IMO it was a stinking mess.
The issues I saw are:
The field looks strange with two colors of grass, to me it looked a mess
depth perception of defensive players was weird as their feet would disappear into the 'green screen'
having a green zone and a yellow line looked beyond dumb...do people really need 2 things to know where the first down marker is

I hated it - so much that I found a link to complain to NBC - If you couldn't stand it either click on the link and send them a email...and hopefully they'll drop it.

There's a lot of articles online stating people did not like it, but if they don't get enough responses were gonna see the 'green zone' for years to come.

https://www.nbc.com/contact-us

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I thought it was stupid, but nothing tops that behind the snap camera that networks seem to be so in love with. It's impossible to follow the play once the ball's out. I hate that view with all of my heart, plus it seems like something bad always happens to us when they switch to it. The Green Zone thing is just another example of a network outsmarting itself.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I fail to see what problem that solved. Seems like a worthless prop

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Stupid and worthless... A clear desperation attempt at trying to make the production more "catchy"...

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gimmick, and a stupid one at that

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The best use of that technology, would be to cover up the whole eye-sore Smurf field in Boise.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
They should just use the technology to make the entire field look better. Some of those fields are really bad shades of green.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Green zone?

Why not just do a snap chat thing. Players that make bone headed plays would actually appear to have a bone glued to their head for the next few plays etc...

When a ref calls in the grasp for a QB have the player wear a dress.

The technology exists to turn the entire game into a huge joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else see it?

IMO it was a stinking mess.
The issues I saw are:
The field looks strange with two colors of grass, to me it looked a mess
depth perception of defensive players was weird as their feet would disappear into the 'green screen'
having a green zone and a yellow line looked beyond dumb...do people really need 2 things to know where the first down marker is

I hated it - so much that I found a link to complain to NBC - If you couldn't stand it either click on the link and send them a email...and hopefully they'll drop it.

There's a lot of articles online stating people did not like it, but if they don't get enough responses were gonna see the 'green zone' for years to come.

https://www.nbc.com/contact-us

I noticed it at the beginning and thought the cowboys just had different colored grass between the 20 and 30 yard lines. The yellow line isn't enough?

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Maybe they're trying to make it appeal to women more. Bidwill keeps saying that women are 45% of the fanbase now, which is why they opened a fancy wine bar at the stadium.

Next they'll make the field rainbows.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Have no idea what the problem is.

It helps people understand that game, its used on one nationally broad casted game a week. Never understood why people have this adverse feeling to people who may have never seen, or care to watch football because they do not know the rules, and it is almost like the people that do understand the game, refuse, and fight against anyone trying to learn it.

Like it is rocket science or something. Which it is not.

Had no problem with it, and didn't even notice it half the time.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe they're trying to make it appeal to women more. Bidwill keeps saying that women are 45% of the fanbase now, which is why they opened a fancy wine bar at the stadium.

Um, no. Women know what the stupid yellow line is already. Plus, we can count hashmarks to determine how many yards to go.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How about this:

You must be registered for see images attach

Or this:

Or this:

Or this:

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not saying women don't know these things, but it wouldn't surprise me if the stupid people who created the green screen were gearing it towards casual fans that don't know all the concepts of the game.
Um, no. Women know what the stupid yellow line is already. Plus, we can count hashmarks to determine how many yards to go.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I fail to see what problem that solved. Seems like a worthless prop

Deadspin just had an article about this: https://deadspin.com/heres-why-nbc-introduced-the-green-zone-which-maybe-1828627651

TL;DR, it's because SkyCam is gonna be used even more often, and I think they're right that it's hard to see the yellow line with SkyCam.

They should just use the technology to make the entire field look better. Some of those fields are really bad shades of green.

I think that this is a secondary benefit, honestly. The tracks at Washington and (IIRC) Pittsburgh are especially shameful.