76ers vs Suns SL Game Thread 7/12/18

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only watched part of the first quarter but i was surprised to see Ayton being guarded by Jonah Bolden and not dominating him. Bolden is long for his size and he's played pro overseas for 2 years so he's experienced but that's a guy who spent his entire time at UCLA complaining he was a guard not a 4 and he was guarding a 7 footer and doing well.

To be fair, the Suns guard play while I was watching was very poor, bad guard play will make a big look bad, but he just seemed disinterested in the part I watched.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised the Suns did not play Emmett Naar more in. He was supposedly their 3rd PG in summer league.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Guards are not finding Ayton again. Harrison seems to change his mind often halfway through a pick and then just... do nothing...

Ayton did have a couple rotation gaffes too, didn't even slightly show on a pick, just followed the center even though our PG got eaten up in the pick, made for a wiiiiide open 3.

You guys all laughed at the Ball speculation, but it will be a giant waste If nobody on this team can feed Ayton, not having a PG who can use him is a crime going into this season.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
You guys all laughed at the Ball speculation, but it will be a giant waste If nobody on this team can feed Ayton, not having a PG who can use him is a crime going into this season.

We are not going to have Lavar Ball in Phoenix. Just stop it already. It is not going to happen. Even Sarver is smart enough to not allow that.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We are not going to have Lavar Ball in Phoenix. Just stop it already. It is not going to happen. Even Sarver is smart enough to not allow that.

That wasn't the point, the point is who is going to feed Ayton he clearly needs someone to set him up and he will hammer away, he needs his Nash to his Amar'e and it damn sure aint knight. With a bunch of people looking to score Ayton gets lost in the game easily, he's a finisher. Ball was just an example, I havent came across any other possible PGs Suns could acquire who are pass first.

Last edited:

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I learned from this game that Shaq Harrison should not be the guy to control the ball with the game on the line. He's a defense and energy guy, not an offensive talent or clutch scorer. Thankfully that will never happen during the season.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That wasn't the point, the point is who is going to feed Ayton he clearly needs someone to set hin up and he will hammer away, he needs his Nash to his Amar'e and it damn sure aiain knight. With a bunch of people looking to score Ayton gets lost in the game easily, he's a finisher. Ball was just an example, I have came across any other possible PGs Suns could acquire who are pass first.
What is your point, really? That we need a point guard? Well, of course we do. Not one person has said otherwise, and yet you consistently have pushed this fact like you are the only one that sees it.

I get that you don't trust Brandon Knight. Not sure anyone here actually does. The difference is that some of us are at least curious to see if he can do it. So we're not about to embrace the tank train if we don't trade for a point guard this summer. And as it's been mentioned many, many times already--next year's free agent crop for that position is quite good. MUCH, MUCH better than this year's.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know. I watched the last five minutes of the game. I thought the young referee screwed us hard a couple times. Look to me Harrison had someone try to intentionally foul him going to the basket which should have been a +1 and no call. Harrison looked back and held out his arms… Couldn't believe there was no whistle.They should have also been called for backcourt on that three-pointer.

So I'm just going to say while apparently none of you are concerned I'm extremely concerned. Hopefully he has the drive to be great and an ability to learn quickly because they have a lot to teach him if he's going to actually help us win games and not just put up some okay looking rookie numbers. Maybe I'll watch a little more of the game over the weekend, but the five minutes I saw was nothing special. It didn't make me feel as great about those hands as I had earlier in the summer league.I can't wait to see what progress they make with him by preseason.

It's been fun the last few days guys. Have a great summer.

Joe

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know. I watched the last five minutes of the game. I thought the young referee screwed us hard a couple times. Look to me Harrison had someone try to intentionally foul him going to the basket which should have been a +1 and no call. Harrison looked back and held out his arms… Couldn't believe there was no whistle.They should have also been called for backcourt on that three-point
So I'm just going to say while apparently none of you are concerned I'm extremely concerned. Hopefully he has the drive to be great and an ability to learn quickly because they have a lot to teach him if he's going to actually help us win games and not just put up some okay looking rookie numbers. Maybe I'll watch a little more of the game over the weekend, but the five minutes I saw was nothing special. It didn't make me feel as great about those hands as I had earlier in the summer league.I can't wait to see what progress they make with him by preseason.

It's been fun the last few days guys. Have a great summer.

Joe

I am greatly concerned with Ayton. The last time I was this concerned was when I posted my "Ayton sorta sucks" thread that I got hammered on. Because I was at that playoff game against Colorado and he just sucked against grossly inferior competition in a playoff game. I watched him the entire game because I thought he would be our pick. It blew my mind how little of an impact he made when he is as talented by himself as the entire team he is playing against.

Then he turned on the light and kicked ass for awhile until another playoff game against inferior competition and it was Buffalo. And Buffalo just publicly scorched him in the media days before the game saying him being on the court was an advantage to them. And how did he respond? By proving their coach right.

Now comes another playoff game against an inferior opponent and at the start of the 4th he had more fouls and turnovers than points.

That is about a 30% not showing up rate in the last 3 months. It's exactly what the biggest U of A homer on the local radio (Jared 98.7) said about why we shouldn't draft him because he stinks about a 3rd of the time and is awesome the other 2/3rds so it drives you nuts.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
“We talkin about Summer League. Not a real game, we talkin about Summer League. SUMMER LEAGUE?!? Summer League, man.”

(Allen Iverson voice)

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“We talkin about Summer League. Not a real game, we talkin about Summer League. SUMMER LEAGUE?!? Summer League, man.”

(Allen Iverson voice)

I would agree with that if I hadn't just seen the same thing in the Pac 12 tourney and the NCAA tourney.

This leopard needs new spots

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
These games from Ayton really bug me. He is absolutely the most talented player on the court and he just is floating along and not impacting the game in any way.
Could it be that he has been double-teamed right from the start and is surrounded by Summer League players. That should not be the basis for judging his first few games out of college.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would love to see Dragic back. Not a long-term answer, but it would be fun for a couple of years.
Bringing Dragic back and letting him retire a Sun would be pleasant to see considering the rather the bad terms which most players recently have left on which is becoming almost traditional for the Suns now.

Dragic makes a ton of sense for the Suns from a "need" standpoint as well obviously.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ayton had 6 turnovers
Yeah this is maybe one of he most concerning aspects of Ayton throughout SL. Doesn’t give an assist to turnover ratio of 0/13 for four games? That’s a problem. I know he looked like a good passer in college season and first game, but 0/13 is screaming issue.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
NOT concerned about a new player that has only been coached by this staff for a week and yet STILL put up decent stats in 3 of 4 games with virtually no PG help. Many of you want him to be David Robinson right now.
Roll out the hyperbole again. People can point out shortcomings without being accused of calling for David Robinson play. In fact, their pointing out the issues is exactly that, stating that at present he isn’t David Robinson. Why even make that comment chap? Do you expect no one to ever be critical of him? These comments are all fair.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I AM concerned. Motor was a knock on Ayton, this is a bit confirming. Just a tad concerned. This is where th guy should be proving to everyone they were wrong.

Sorry SF88 for the no -homeristuc post.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is what I see:

Chap: hey guys I got a brand new football!

Someone on the board: nice! Looks nice! I can’t wait to play with it. Looks like it needs air.

Chap: what?!? How could you say that?!? Of course it needs air it’s still in the box! Everyone stop freaking out!

Someone on the board:Er . . . maybe I’ll go play Wii.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a joke. Ayton destroyed Bagley and Bamba has a bad game now he's a bum, he's a damn kid. Look at all the top picks Bagley, Young, JJJ, Bamba have all looked great and have all looked bad. This is normal people.

Now Ayton can't play in a tournament or a playoff situation because of freaking summer league???

I may be mistakes but I thought U of A won the Pac-12 tournament and Ayton dropped 32 points and 18 rebounds in the championship game

Oh and in the semis he had 32 points 14 rebounds

He had the most dominate run in the history of the Pac-12.

As far as the NCAA the whole team didn't want to be there and says more about Sean Miller in my opinion

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Roll out the hyperbole again. People can point out shortcomings without being accused of calling for David Robinson play. In fact, their pointing out the issues is exactly that, stating that at present he isn’t David Robinson. Why even make that comment chap? Do you expect no one to ever be critical of him? These comments are all fair.

I won't speak for Chap, but I THINK he is pointing out that a lot of people had unrealistic expectations. People here were calling him the next David Robinson, the generational talent, and all sorts of hyperbole. I think Chap is pointing out that was unrealistic. There is nothing wrong with Ayton. There is a lot wrong with the expectations that some people here placed on him.

He is playing like a kid his age is supposed to play. Does a lot of dumb stuff, gets frustrated, doesn't understand certain fundamental things. Nothing wrong with that- it's normal for a kid his age.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Here is my take on this. "Comment" -- of course. "Ever be critical" -- how can you criticize a rookie for being on a learning curve in his first four games since having been played out of position in college, now in a Summer League surrounded by unproven players? Especially when he is the #1 pick and double-teamed right from the start. And even thinking of comparing him to a polished veteran David Robinson.

I would hardly call his performance so far shortcomings. As Stefan pointed out, they are right on target with his status.

The unproven players defending him now have an advantage -- all they have to do is smother him. It doesn't take precision to do that. I'm looking forward to enjoying Ayton's progress, especially when he starts scrimmaging and playing with veterans. If a quarter into the season, he hasn't shown progress adjusting to the NBA game, that would be reason to criticize. But now? No way.