Chriss???

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But as you know, this way of thinking can lead to 3 years of moaning about not having the pick. If Bridges pans out, and there's no real reason right now to think he won't, then that Miami pick was well used.

If Bridges works out well, then sure. Of course the opposite is a possibility as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, looking forward to 3 years of complaining about not having the Miami pick anymore... ;)

Missing the Miami pick as a trade piece is just that. It would have been nice to get Bridges without using that pick. We will find out if the pick is well used.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
As we both aspire, let's hope the Suns doubling down on the 2018 draft turns out to be a good move.

I am going to miss the unprotected Miami pick for a long time, not just for the draft possibilities but the value it presented in a trade.
The NBA just announced yesterday that the 2021 draft will be the first draft to feature high school kids again so the draft will supposedly be stacked with the best talent from both the high school class of that year as well as the college class of that year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The NBA just announced yesterday that the 2021 draft will be the first draft to feature high school kids again so the draft will supposedly be stacked with the best talent from both the high school class of that year as well as the college class of that year.

The 76ers are thinking they are smart.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I just don't see the big deal with the 2021 draft. For one we don't even know how much talent will be in it and we don't know how many of these high school guys will decide to forgo college. It's not exactly like a ton of these guys were coming straight to the NBA before one and done was instated to begin with.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, Bender looks lost and doesn't seem like the game comes natural to him, and just looks very unconfident. Other than someone who can pop a 3 and play some D, thats it, I don't expect anymore from him.

I'd be happy with this. A 3 and D player. Plus he rebounds a bit. :cool:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Missing the Miami pick as a trade piece is just that. It would have been nice to get Bridges without using that pick. We will find out if the pick is well used.
True, it'd also be nice to get Kemba Walker by just trading the Milwaukee pick, but you have to give to get, as you know.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, it'd also be nice to get Kemba Walker by just trading the Milwaukee pick, but you have to give to get, as you know.

We could do this conversation all day long. :)

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I just don't see the big deal with the 2021 draft. For one we don't even know how much talent will be in it and we don't know how many of these high school guys will decide to forgo college. It's not exactly like a ton of these guys were coming straight to the NBA before one and done was instated to begin with.

Yep, one reason for the one and done model was to allow teams a year to get a better look at these kids before using a pick on them. I don't think there were ever more than 2 or 3 high school kids selected in a single draft. It won't be any different going forward unless the NBA is going to pour money into the developmental league.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yep, one reason for the one and done model was to allow teams a year to get a better look at these kids before using a pick on them. I don't think there were ever more than 2 or 3 high school kids selected in a single draft. It won't be any different going forward unless the NBA is going to pour money into the developmental league.
Eh I think we will see more now. The top kids likely come out. I would think 4-5 of the top picks this year would’ve come out then add in the Mitchell’s and Anfernee Simmons and you’re likely up to 7. I think that’s high due to the talent level in this draft, but I could see anywhere from 3-10 per year. And that has a big impact in the first year.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I read the release by Silver and it sure seems like he said that the NCAA is tired of the one and done model as well, at least a lot of schools are. I wonder how a rule change might impact schools like Kentucky and UofA. Duke will still have a good team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this ever went to a high court... perhaps the Supreme Court, I don't think NBA has the right to deny a person a job based upon college.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I read the release by Silver and it sure seems like he said that the NCAA is tired of the one and done model as well, at least a lot of schools are. I wonder how a rule change might impact schools like Kentucky and UofA. Duke will still have a good team.

It will help them, it will help all the schools who land 5 star players. They'll still get top recruits and their programs will gain stability. Sure, the best of the best won't bother to go to college but it's not as though the elite programs won't recruit the next best guys instead.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If this ever went to a high court... perhaps the Supreme Court, I don't think NBA has the right to deny a person a job based upon college.

It's not based on college, high school kids will now be able to join the league right away and if you don't declare out of high school, you don't have to go to college, you will just have to wait a couple years.

The NFL won't allow players to enter the draft until they're 3 years removed from HS, the MLB has a very similar system to the one the NBA is about to employ except it's 3 years instead of 2.

Maurice Clarrett tried to fight the NFL's rule and lost in federal court.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not based on college, high school kids will now be able to join the league right away and if you don't declare out of high school, you don't have to go to college, you will just have to wait a couple years.

The NFL won't allow players to enter the draft until they're 3 years removed from HS, the MLB has a very similar system to the one the NBA is about to employ except it's 3 years instead of 2.

Maurice Clarrett tried to fight the NFL's rule and lost in federal court.

I think the option to sign an NBA contract after coming out of high school or after ones turns 18 is fair. I do not believe having different rules (for turning professional) for different sports is fair or ultimately legal. Maybe they are getting away with it for now but I don't think it will hold up long term. I think a person has a right to work after they turn 18.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the option to sign an NBA contract after coming out of high school or after ones turns 18 is fair. I do not believe having different rules (for turning professional) for different sports is fair or ultimately legal. Maybe they are getting away with it for now but I don't think it will hold up long term. I think a person has a right to work after they turn 18.

You can turn pro... you just can't play in the NBA unless you opted in straight out of high school. If the league tries to impose this without the Union's consent, then yeah, it will be illegal via anti-trust, but if the Union is on board (which it seems like they will be) then it'll be legal.

The NFL had a lawsuit brought against them by and the player lost because it's an agreement between the league and the union.

The MLB can do what it likes because it's still the only entity in the US free from anti-trust suits (it's why they were able to shaft the players royally for nearly a century).

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Employers have the right not to employ people based upon a lot of various criteria, minimum age is clearly one of them. Even the US Constitution has a minimum age for national offices.

Now what the Euro leagues do with their junior leagues would probably not fly in the US because it would violate child labor laws.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Employers have the right not to employ people based upon a lot of various criteria, minimum age is clearly one of them. Even the US Constitution has a minimum age for national offices.

Now what the Euro leagues do with their junior leagues would probably not fly in the US because it would violate child labor laws.

They have child labor laws in Europe too. The go around is that those kids are in "academies", it's a school... ran by a club. They learn reading, writing, math... and play a lot of sports.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can turn pro... you just can't play in the NBA unless you opted in straight out of high school. If the league tries to impose this without the Union's consent, then yeah, it will be illegal via anti-trust, but if the Union is on board (which it seems like they will be) then it'll be legal.

The NFL had a lawsuit brought against them by and the player lost because it's an agreement between the league and the union.

The MLB can do what it likes because it's still the only entity in the US free from anti-trust suits (it's why they were able to shaft the players royally for nearly a century).

I think major sports leagues use unions to bypass the legality issue but unions are now under attack as we know. IMO, major sports are monopolies not that my opinion matters. I do not want it to change except for the exorbitant ticket prices and the way they prevent parity.

I support unions but it is a different world in which we live. I paid union dues on my job even though probably half the employees didn't. Unions do a lot of good although there is invariably someone who wants to fight it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They have child labor laws in Europe too. The go around is that those kids are in "academies", it's a school... ran by a club. They learn reading, writing, math... and play a lot of sports.
We have those too. Hillcrest Prep for instance. We just don't pay the kids.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think major sports leagues use unions to bypass the legality issue but unions are now under attack as we know. IMO, major sports are monopolies not that my opinion matters. I do not want it to change except for the exorbitant ticket prices and the way they prevent parity.

I support unions but it is a different world in which we live. I paid union dues on my job even though probably half the employees didn't. Unions do a lot of good although there is invariably someone who wants to fight it.

Yeah, unions are seeing laws change and some people are going to opt out of paying union dues because they won't be required to anymore. I guarantee that isn't the case in pro sports, it is very easy to see the role their unions play in keeping free agency alive and as the only protection the players have against the pro sports virtual monopolies (and legal monopoly in the MLB's case). Maybe a player here and there will whine about paying for the union but I'm sure their agents will tell them they're a fool.

Besides, in pro-sports case I'm guessing the percentage of their contracts payers play to the union is virtually nothing... I wouldn't be surprised if licensing agreements the players associations make companies pay for all of it and then some.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The issue for me, when a person turns into an adult (usually 18) they should not be denied a job. If there is going to be a minimum age it should apply to everyone.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have those too. Hillcrest Academy for instance. We just don't pay the kids.

Yeah, but Hillcrest Academy isn't owned by say... the Lakers.

What we have that Europe totally lacks is college sports. Saves the pro sports a lot of money, time and energy, basically a free minor league system.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, but Hillcrest Academy isn't owned by say... the Lakers.

What we have that Europe totally lacks is college sports. Saves the pro sports a lot of money, time and energy, basically a free minor league system.
Agree