Arizona State ranked #5 in latest AP Poll

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Xavier was ranked 10th and Kansas was ranked 13th.

I think the Sun Devils should have been ranked in the top three based upon their performance as well.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yep. Their highest ranking ever was #3 back in the 60's...from what I saw. I think they should've been put in the top 3, but a few more wins, and we might make it to #1 :rockon:

I believe they were also ranked third in the Byron Scott, Fat Lever years.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe they were also ranked third in the Byron Scott, Fat Lever years.

At fifth in the nation, it’s the highest ASU has ranked since the 1980-81 season when the Sun Devils clinched No. 3 in the final AP Top 25. Led by Byron Scott, Alton Lister and Fat Lever, ASU finished that season 24-4 with a second round loss to Kansas in the 1981 NCAA Tournament.

Last edited:

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
At fifth in the nation, it’s the highest ASU has ranked since the 1980-81 season when the Sun Devils clinched No. 3 in the final AP Top 25. Led by Byron Scott, Aaron Lister and Fat Lever, ASU finished that season 24-4 with a second round loss to Kansas in the 1981 NCAA Tournament.

Alton Lister.
I remember that tournament but don't think the game was even televised here. IIRC the top two teams in the poll were also upset and I thought ASU may have a chance but I may be remembering that wrong.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
At fifth in the nation, it’s the highest ASU has ranked since the 1980-81 season when the Sun Devils clinched No. 3 in the final AP Top 25. Led by Byron Scott, Aaron Lister and Fat Lever, ASU finished that season 24-4 with a second round loss to Kansas in the 1981 NCAA Tournament.

That’s the wrong Mr. Lister, Mister.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Aaron Lister?
Lame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
IMO the biggest and most important test for this team will be playing UofA. The Wildcats are not eager to play 2nd fiddle to ASU Basketball, even if it's just right now.

AzViper

Reaction score
Looking back at the season the Devils should never been rank above 20th. The Devils had two impressive wins in their 12-0 start. Their non conference schedule was a joke to prepare the team for PAC 12 play where the Devils lost 11 games.

Playing teams as, Northern State, San Diego, Az Christian, Idaho State, San Diego State, Northern Arizona, San Francisco, Longwood, Pacific is not how you prepare the Devils for PAC 12 play.

Hurley need height not just speed. The team placed way to much on hitting the 3's. NIT is the best this team will get...

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking back at the season the Devils should never been rank above 20th. The Devils had two impressive wins in their 12-0 start. Their non conference schedule was a joke to prepare the team for PAC 12 play where the Devils lost 11 games.

Playing teams as, Northern State, San Diego, Az Christian, Idaho State, San Diego State, Northern Arizona, San Francisco, Longwood, Pacific is not how you prepare the Devils for PAC 12 play.

Hurley need height not just speed. The team placed way to much on hitting the 3's. NIT is the best this team will get...

It wasn't that bad of a OOC

Kansas (top 5)
Xavier (top 5)
Vanderbilt (usually good)
Kansas State (likely Tourney team)
San Diego State (usually good)

Northern State and AZ Christian were exhibitions, every team does something similar. And every team schedules lower-level teams for home games:

Look at Duke:

Elon, Utah Valley, Southern, Furman, Portland State, South Dakota, and St. Francis to go along with
Michigan State, Indiana, Texas and Florida - ASU's OOC was tougher than that.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ASU's non conference schedule was pretty damn good. And this is coming from a wildcat fan, their top 5-10 ranking was totally deserved.

I dunno if the Arizona loss took their swagger or exposed their serious interior problems, but they were not the same team after.

They went from being clutch to gagging away games at the line against what was a pretty crappy pac12 this year.

If they make the field I wouldn't want to see em, but this total collapse makes it really doubtful they get in.