Arizona State ranked #5 in latest AP Poll

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Completely dependent on the other conference championships. ASU is rooting for all chalk. If a team like Oregon wins the PAC-12 tournament, ASU is in big trouble. Obviously, Xavier and @KU give them a reason to be hopeful but this is not ideal to be sweating it out on Sunday.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It helped that two teams that IMHO have a weaker case, NC State and Florida State, also both lost today in their first round game.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
ASU's non conference schedule was pretty damn good. And this is coming from a wildcat fan, their top 5-10 ranking was totally deserved.

I dunno if the Arizona loss took their swagger or exposed their serious interior problems, but they were not the same team after.

They went from being clutch to gagging away games at the line against what was a pretty crappy pac12 this year.

If they make the field I wouldn't want to see em, but this total collapse makes it really doubtful they get in.
They lost all of their confidence. Once teams started beating them up on the inside...they just kind of folded. They stopped attacking the rim, and relied completely on the 3, so it was just a recipe for disaster. My dog could shoot better free throws than they did late in games...that's how bad it was.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Completely dependent on the other conference championships. ASU is rooting for all chalk. If a team like Oregon wins the PAC-12 tournament, ASU is in big trouble. Obviously, Xavier and @KU give them a reason to be hopeful but this is not ideal to be sweating it out on Sunday.

I guess I am getting old. I don't know what "all chalk" even means. Yeah we had some killer wins early but not enough talent to continue in the long haul. We do not have the horses other teams do, but considering what we have, well, at least we showed improvement, but have proven we don't have the team to compete for the entire season and the tournament.

And yeah TJ, I know I could google it but you probably could explain it better.

Even though I am an ASU guy and native of the valley, once we are out of the picture I hope U of A represents the state well.

We know the difference, but the rest of the country confuses ASU an U of A all the time. For instance, I am in another state wearing and ASU shirt and they say "you guys have had a great basketball team for a long time" I just smile and say "yeah". ASU first, Arizona next.

AZ Native

Reaction score
ASU's non conference schedule was pretty damn good. And this is coming from a wildcat fan, their top 5-10 ranking was totally deserved.

I dunno if the Arizona loss took their swagger or exposed their serious interior problems, but they were not the same team after.

They went from being clutch to gagging away games at the line against what was a pretty crappy pac12 this year.

If they make the field I wouldn't want to see em, but this total collapse makes it really doubtful they get in.

As an ASU guy, I admire your ability to see both sides and you are completely right.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I guess I am getting old. I don't know what "all chalk" even means. Yeah we had some killer wins early but not enough talent to continue in the long haul. We do not have the horses other teams do, but considering what we have, well, at least we showed improvement, but have proven we don't have the team to compete for the entire season and the tournament.

And yeah TJ, I know I could google it but you probably could explain it better.

Even though I am an ASU guy and native of the valley, once we are out of the picture I hope U of A represents the state well.

We know the difference, but the rest of the country confuses ASU an U of A all the time. For instance, I am in another state wearing and ASU shirt and they say "you guys have had a great basketball team for a long time" I just smile and say "yeah". ASU first, Arizona next.

All-chalk = root for all favorites to win their conference tournaments.

Since ASU is firmly on the bubble, ASU doesn't want a team to get an AQ bid that isn't even close to being in the tournament, because teams that are locks for the tournament would start taking away at-large bids from bubble teams.

For example, Stanford has no business being in the tournament, even if they advance to the tournament championship. But if it wins, that means Stanford gets the AQ bid from the PAC-12 and a team like Arizona, which is a lock, would take away an at-large bid from a bubble team.

AZ Native

Reaction score
All-chalk = root for all favorites to win their conference tournaments.

Since ASU is firmly on the bubble, ASU doesn't want a team to get an AQ bid that isn't even close to being in the tournament, because teams that are locks for the tournament would start taking away at-large bids from bubble teams.

For example, Stanford has no business being in the tournament, even if they advance to the tournament championship. But if it wins, that means Stanford gets the AQ bid from the PAC-12 and a team like Arizona, which is a lock, would take away an at-large bid from a bubble team.

See, I knew you would come through. Thanks

Reactions: TJ