Miller once again does it again!

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
So now apparently Rawle Alkins just broke his foot which is probably code for took-payments-and-is-ineligible.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The FBI investigation only goes back to 2015 - but I wonder if it will go further now. And what is the statute of limitations on items like this?

Supposedly 10 years.

Turns out the Jay Williams stuff is old news and he's been somewhat "discredited" on it before. What he's talking about is his company paid Love's AAU coach, Pat Barrett, to try and get Love and others to sign with his agency. Love didn't sign with his agency and eventually there was some threat of legal action against Barrett for defrauding them out of the money.

The implication being they paid an AAU coach to get a kid, but the kid picked a different agent and they couldn't get the money back from the AAU coach so they leaked Love's name. Williams put it in a book he leaked out in 2009.

Love said that when Barrett introduced him to Williams as a potential agent he just laughed and said this guy ruined his career playing around on a motorcycle, why in the world would I hire someone that reckless as my agent. Turns out a Yahoo sports article about his attempt to bribe Barrett and Love's comments about it led to his 2nd suicide attempt(Williams). The first time was after his motorcycle accident, the 2nd time was over the embarassment of that article he tried to kill himself with Oxycontin and alcohol.

So his claim actually isn't something new

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Odds Miller gets axed?

If he knew about everything he could go down. If he didn't know (or they can't prove he knew) maybe he gets a suspension. If anything the current stigma probably scares off any Blue Bloods from going after him in the future. He could be here longterm since he knows he'll always be embraced there no matter what. Recruiting would definitely fall back in the short term.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he knew about everything he could go down. If he didn't know (or they can't prove he knew) maybe he gets a suspension. If anything the current stigma probably scares off any Blue Bloods from going after him in the future. He could be here longterm since he knows he'll always be embraced there no matter what. Recruiting would definitely fall back in the short term.

Now that the FBI is turning their attention to Nike, it is hard to imagine that few if any big-time programs will be untouched. The list of clean programs might consist of a few P5, and smaller schools.

So who knows how this will effect long-term recruiting

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Now that the FBI is turning their attention to Nike, it is hard to imagine that few if any big-time programs will be untouched. The list of clean programs might consist of a few P5, and smaller schools.

So who knows how this will effect long-term recruiting

I'm not sure if Nike or Under Armor just have info lying around about illegal dealings. They're supposedly raiding Nike but you'd think they'd be prepared after the initial FBI report.

Arizona got caught because Book was committing felonies. If other program's assistants weren't as reckless they'll probably be okay. I guess we'll know when they start talking to reduce jail time. Apparently Tony Bland is already doing so.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I'm not sure if Nike or Under Armor just have info lying around about illegal dealings. They're supposedly raiding Nike but you'd think they'd be prepared after the initial FBI report.

Arizona got caught because Book was committing felonies. If other program's assistants weren't as reckless they'll probably be okay. I guess we'll know when they start talking to reduce jail time. Apparently Tony Bland is already doing so.
Accepting cash off the books (which someone in every program does both in football and hoops) is a felony. That's why if/when people start rolling especially at the shoe companies then a lot of schools will be caught up in it. That's why my guess is the NCAA makes an example out of Louisville, other schools get dinged a little, and then continue on with the amateurism facade business as usual. No way they help the FBI bring the house down, it would kill their billion dollar business.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple of things, Alabama fired a guy today who was a former director of the nCAA they hired as compliance. Their AD, Greg Byrne, stated they investigated, found no violations, and then terminated the guy. Seems very odd to fire a guy if they had no violations?

97cats is claiming on beardownwildcats that Miller "intentionally" lost Bowen and Walker because the FBI had already toldhim about the investigation and what Book was doing, so Miller backed off to avoid kids he knew were dirty. That seems awfully hard to believe given months later Book paid Quinerly and apparently got into a bidding war for Nassir Little? Why would Miller know Bowen and Walker were dirty but not know Quinerly and Little wanted money too?

And why in the hell would the FBI tell a coach what was going on, especially given he had TWO coaches on his staff that were involved?

But he's insisting that's what happened.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Couple of things, Alabama fired a guy today who was a former director of the nCAA they hired as compliance. Their AD, Greg Byrne, stated they investigated, found no violations, and then terminated the guy. Seems very odd to fire a guy if they had no violations?

97cats is claiming on beardownwildcats that Miller "intentionally" lost Bowen and Walker because the FBI had already toldhim about the investigation and what Book was doing, so Miller backed off to avoid kids he knew were dirty. That seems awfully hard to believe given months later Book paid Quinerly and apparently got into a bidding war for Nassir Little? Why would Miller know Bowen and Walker were dirty but not know Quinerly and Little wanted money too?

And why in the hell would the FBI tell a coach what was going on, especially given he had TWO coaches on his staff that were involved?

But he's insisting that's what happened.

Look I don't know where 97' gets his info but he seems to be right quite often or at least used to on GOAZCats. Is he not allowed to post on Scout anymore?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
With Pitino axed, anyone could go....even Miller if any evidence points to him. Like someone mentioned on this board NCAA needs to declare AAU teams semi-pro. Why would kids want to play on a loaded AAU team when they have to share minutes and the spotlight with other players? Just like why does UK get multiple top ranked guys in the same recruiting class that play the same position...they have to be getting paid. Most HS kids mention the gear they get when asked about the best thing about playing for particular AAU teams. Gear ain't the only thing they're getting.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Alabama and Arizona have issues, connected by Byrnes...

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Look I don't know where 97' gets his info but he seems to be right quite often or at least used to on GOAZCats. Is he not allowed to post on Scout anymore?

He's very much active on Scout right now

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Book will no doubt talk but Dakich has to be the GOAT troll at this point. Dude spouts so much crap but we're supposed to believe he's in on federal investigations now.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah his recruitign stuff is usually accurate but I have to ask why would the FBI in an ongoing investigation tell a coach who's program is right in the thick of the investigation what was happening? For all they knew Miller could have been involved too.

ONe of the guys on BRO apparently did this prosecuting stuff for a living and he said he'd be absolutely stunned if the FBI actually tipped of a coach during the investigation, he said normally the only way that would happen is if they had Miller on tape breaking the law and decided they could use him to get more info. That is we know you're cheating, if you'll cooperate we'll go easy. But that seems bass ackwards since Miller would presumably be a bigger fish than Book?

It came off to me as 97cats really wants to defend Miller here and he took flack for being wrong on walker and bowen, so his claim makes MIller look good, and explains why he(97cats) was wrong on those kids too.

But we'll see this story is nuts.

Alabama gets weirder, rumor is Collin Sexton is done, took money from 1 maybe 2 agents.

And now I'm being told Player 8 is in fact Charles O'Bannon.

there's a weird O'Bannon thing I was told a few weeks ago. UCLA prioritized Wilkes over Chuck Jr. Wilkes wore 31 all through HS, his dad and him idolize Reggie Miller. When he verballed to UCLA, he and Reggie on Twitter had an exchange where Reggie welcomed him and then said if you want to wear my number(31 is retired) feel free. But now Wilkes is wearing 13 not 31. The rumor is Ed O'Bannon, also 31, refused to let Wilkes wear the retired number because he was bitter UCLA took Wilkes ahead of his nephew. The cover is 13 is the inverse of 31 so that's why Wilkes took it, but of course 13 is Charles O'Bannon Seniors number too, not retired, so I was told Wilkes also took it as a "dig" at the O'Bannons.

and the nutty thing, he had an offer to UCLA, they would have gladly taken him now we probably know why, USC paid him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Book will no doubt talk but Dakich has to be the GOAT troll at this point. Dude spouts so much crap but we're supposed to believe he's in on federal investigations now.

The next one Dakich gets right will be the first

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Man... if it proves to be that Miller knew, was cheating AND couldn't multiple underachieving 1/2 seeds to the Final Four, while ALSO putting a MASSIVE black spot on the program, that would be an epic disaster.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I guess RJ Barrett is clean, he is going about his recruitment dropping MICH from his list & UA obviously leaving just DUKE, KENT & ORE...go figure.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
He's very much active on Scout right now

I haven't able to get to an actual computer while traveling. Every time I leave Scout it logs me out and my phone is having trouble zooming in on actual posts. Worst timing not to have my laptop.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Yeah his recruitign stuff is usually accurate but I have to ask why would the FBI in an ongoing investigation tell a coach who's program is right in the thick of the investigation what was happening? For all they knew Miller could have been involved too.

ONe of the guys on BRO apparently did this prosecuting stuff for a living and he said he'd be absolutely stunned if the FBI actually tipped of a coach during the investigation, he said normally the only way that would happen is if they had Miller on tape breaking the law and decided they could use him to get more info. That is we know you're cheating, if you'll cooperate we'll go easy. But that seems bass ackwards since Miller would presumably be a bigger fish than Book?

The FBI investigation is about shoe companies and AAU teams. Universities are listed as victims in this situation. With that said, Miller would not be a "bigger fish." Adidas et al would be the "bigger fish."

It came off to me as 97cats really wants to defend Miller here and he took flack for being wrong on walker and bowen, so his claim makes MIller look good, and explains why he(97cats) was wrong on those kids too.

97 is more connected to the program than anyone not employed with the AD, so I tend to believe him until I have reason not to believe him. He's never been more transparent about anything about the program ever. Whatever connection he has would be compromised if he were any more transparent about situations in the past. He obviously has some sort of green light if he's discussing this situation, or he wouldn't be putting that connection in jeopardy.

BTW---everyone was wrong on Bowen and Walker. Bowen never even had UL in his Top 6 and Walker was all but committed to Arizona until Miami snatched him last minute.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Man... if it proves to be that Miller knew, was cheating AND couldn't multiple underachieving 1/2 seeds to the Final Four, while ALSO putting a MASSIVE black spot on the program, that would be an epic disaster.

If he didn't know the same results may apply. The NCAA determined head coaches are responsible for their assistants regardless of knowing or not. The only security Miller might have is that he was in contact with the FBI as early as two years ago but that's just a rumor.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I guess RJ Barrett is clean, he is going about his recruitment dropping MICH from his list & UA obviously leaving just DUKE, KENT & ORE...go figure.

Nobody is comitting to Arizona while it's image is currently in the wood chipper. Hopefully they can hang on to Williams and O'Neal but you know UCLA will be on them.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The FBI investigation is about shoe companies and AAU teams. Universities are listed as victims in this situation. With that said, Miller would not be a "bigger fish." Adidas et al would be the "bigger fish."

97 is more connected to the program than anyone not employed with the AD, so I tend to believe him until I have reason not to believe him. He's never been more transparent about anything about the program ever. Whatever connection he has would be compromised if he were any more transparent about situations in the past. He obviously has some sort of green light if he's discussing this situation, or he wouldn't be putting that connection in jeopardy.

BTW---everyone was wrong on Bowen and Walker. Bowen never even had UL in his Top 6 and Walker was all but committed to Arizona until Miami snatched him last minute.

I sometimes think 97' might be related to Miller or something. You can't tell more than a few ppl about being in contact with the Feds without your lead assistant not knowing.