Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Episode VII)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Okay, while I loved it, I'm not going to be crazy and say it was the best one, or better than any of the originals. Sorry, it just wasn't. Not even a little, not at all. Great, great movie, and a great kick start to the series, though. Maybe IF it hadn't rehashed so much--and after plenty of time to digest--I would have been able to go along with some of those comments. As it stands? No frickin' way.

And that's okay, that's just fine. It doesn't have to be as good as or better than the original trilogy. I really dug it, I thought Abrams did a good job walking the line without going over it, and I'll be seeing it again.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what trailers were in front of your showing? Curious if there were any that haven't been released online yet.

Turtles 2
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Captain America: Civil War
Zootopia
Independence Day: Resurgence

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first impression is - I loved it. I am sure I'll find things to nitpick over time and multiple viewings, but initial reaction was just wonderment.

I have heard people talk about it being ten years since we had a Star Wars film...that we have "waited ten years for this film to come out." I call BS on that. The prequels were George Lucas' CGI-riddled kiddie films. I am old enough that I saw all of the original trilogy in the theater, as they were released. Saw them multiple times in the theater. Been obsessed with Star Wars ever since. I did not wait ten years for this film. I waited 32 years for this film.

:jedi:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've been avoiding this thread like the plague for weeks out of fear of too much speculation.

Awesome, awesome movie. The parts that were supposed to make you laugh delivered, the parts meant to give you goosebumps delivered even harder. Amazing film.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My five year old son asked me what the biggest number was because he said that's the score he would give this movie.

The only part I really didn't like was essentially
Death Star III. They really needed to do something else for the climax.

Anyone else think one of the stand alone movies is going to have a younger version of
Max Van Sydow's
character and the battle of
Jakku?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you're just being impatient! Lol :). They didn't say How he destroyed it all, just that he destroyed it all. They didn't say he single handedly defeated all the Jedi and Luke. One would assume he had help and all will be revealed later!

And Rey I think that she is truly the person from the original prophecy. Not Annakin, or Luke, maybe she truly is the one to bring balance to the force but that's just a guess. I think her hanging with Kylo was about her being a force user but she's also a badass fighter already just on her own remember she took out 3 guys on her own?

Regardless I love that we have all these u answered questions! The prequels were weak for many reasons but one of them was that there were zero surprises or suspense we knew exactly where it was all going and how it would end. This is like experiencing the first trilogy all over again I can't wait to see where it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that is wishful thinking. If you watched any of the interviews JJ has given, he talked about explaining more about the background of the plots and it was decided certain explanations were not needed at the recommendation of Lawrence Kasdan. So we may never get the details of how he defeated Luke and the Jedi in training.

Either way, it's not very plausible because we know there are no other "sith" to help if previous history is followed (1 Sith Lord, 1 Apprentice). Did you see how many bodies were riddle all over the ground in the vision sequence (assuming that is what they were). It's simply implausible that Kylo and the Knights did all that, especially with Luke around.

In terms of the prophecy..first it was Anakin that was the chosen one...then it was Luke...now it's Rey? What is this the hand me down prophecy? I seriously doubt that is a factor. It would be ridiculous as that prophecy ended after ROTJ. Even if you wanted to believe it....prophecy or not...it's ridiculous to match someone who has been training with Luke and then Snoke in her very first lightsaber duel.

I know these all sound like major complaints but I think they were just glaring minor plot problems. Overall I still think this was a very good movie.

Last edited:

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't know how to respond to that. You have obviously done your research but I just think Abrams is a pretty good storyteller and I have confidence that he won't just leave it at that but that's just my humble opinion.

May the force be with youz

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think that is wishful thinking. If you watched any of the interviews JJ has given, he talked about explaining more about the background of the plots and it was decided certain explanations were not needed at the recommendation of Lawrence Kasdan. So we may never get the details of how he defeated Luke and the Jedi in training.

Either way, it's not very plausible because we know there are no other "sith" to help if previous history is followed (1 Sith Lord, 1 Apprentice). Did you see how many bodies were riddle all over the ground in the vision sequence (assuming that is what they were). It's simply implausible that Kylo and the Knights did all that, especially with Luke around.

In terms of the prophecy..first it was Anakin that was the chosen one...then it was Luke...now it's Rey? What is this the hand me down prophecy? I seriously doubt that is a factor. It would be ridiculous as that prophecy ended after ROTJ. Even if you wanted to believe it....prophecy or not...it's ridiculous to match someone who has been training with Luke and then Snoke in her very first lightsaber duel.

I know these all sound like major complaints but I think they were just glaring minor plot problems. Overall I still think this was a very good movie.

I actually felt like her rapid understanding of her abilities filled in some previous plot holes (how did Luke get so much stronger between episode 5 and 6?). If one "lets the force in" then its just a matter of how far they're willing to push themselves and how strong they are with the force. She is crazy powerful with the force, clearly stronger than Ren... or Ren's internal conflict/getting shot by a blaster weakened him. Either one works.

As for the prophesy... who cares, there is no saying the prophesy had any merit in the first place or one could look at it that Anakin truly did bring balance as the Jedi had an over abundance of power and self importance prior to him slaughtering them all.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually felt like her rapid understanding of her abilities filled in some previous plot holes (how did Luke get so much stronger between episode 5 and 6?). If one "lets the force in" then its just a matter of how far they're willing to push themselves and how strong they are with the force. She is crazy powerful with the force, clearly stronger than Ren... or Ren's internal conflict/getting shot by a blaster weakened him. Either one works. .

I agree. She struggled some at first with weak thrusts and was outmatched and on the edge of a cliff before she gave herself completely over to the force. Kylo, on the other hand, was struggling the entire film - an inner battle between the light side and the dark side. At times, he appeared to have control and exhibit force powers we hadn't seen since Vader and at other times he was very unstable and threw tantrums when things did not go his way. (Loved the scene where he threw a tantrum in the interrogation area and two approaching troopers realized what was going on and slowly backed away and went the other way.) He didn't complete his training with Luke and he hasn't completed his training with Snoke either. He is a very conflicted character who was badly injured before the fight and clearly was trying to convert her rather than just defeat her/destroy her.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Anyone else slightly disappointed with John Williams score? There is no real memorable music like in all the previous movies (including the prequels), at least not to me,

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Turtles 2

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Captain America: Civil War

Zootopia

Independence Day: Resurgence

I didn't know because I closed my eyes through all of them. Haha. I refuse to watch trailers for anything that I want to see anymore cuz they give the whole freaking movie away :(

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was pretty fun, really liked Rey, but thought overall, the movie suffered GREATLY from not having strong villains and the JJ signature rehash move of everything old is new again... But with a twist! I mean, there were some nice nods, but the major moment of the movie I saw coming from a mile away... From outside the theater.

More entertaining then any of the prequels, but it ain't even close to any of the OT as far as I'm concerned.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Loved the movie until ...

******Massive spoiler here so if you don't want to ruin the movie, then don't click on the spoiler tag below!!*******

Hans was killed by Ren. I was loving the movie and after that, killed the high I was on. Now I really have mix feelings for the movie as I have always been a Solo fan. I do not like how he was killed off. I really don't!

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loved the movie until ...

Hans was killed by Ren. I was loving the movie and after that, killed the high I was on. Now I really have mix feelings for the movie as I have always been a Solo fan. I do not like how he was killed off. I really don't!

Wow, that is a huge spolier. I don't think I'm going to see this.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Don't click on that spoiler tag as it is a huge one.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't click on that spoiler tag as it is a huge one.

Best to put that advice BEFORE the spoiler tag, not after the fact.

I'm kinda stunned that anyone was really surprised by that moment. The movie was so much a beat by beat tweaked remake of A New Hope, that that moment just seemed blantantly obvious.

to be honest, the more I think about this movie, (and I'm sure I'm going to be slammed here) the more I'm not sure I liked it. This review kind of sums up my thoughts to a T:

http://www.salon.com/2015/12/16/sta..._reboot_because_youve_seen_this_movie_before/

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually felt like her rapid understanding of her abilities filled in some previous plot holes (how did Luke get so much stronger between episode 5 and 6?). If one "lets the force in" then its just a matter of how far they're willing to push themselves and how strong they are with the force. She is crazy powerful with the force, clearly stronger than Ren... or Ren's internal conflict/getting shot by a blaster weakened him. Either one works.

As for the prophesy... who cares, there is no saying the prophesy had any merit in the first place or one could look at it that Anakin truly did bring balance as the Jedi had an over abundance of power and self importance prior to him slaughtering them all.

I always believed the title "Return Of The Jedi" was in reference to Anakin defeating Vader at the end and returning to the Jedi to end the Emperor's reign and bring balance to the force again, thus making the prophecy come true... albeit a day late and a billion Alderanians short.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, and it was an enjoyable movie, but seemed like a rehash of the original 1977 movie. Same themes, same plotline, etc. I could predict everything that was going to happen.

seemed to me that she was Luke's daughter. and yes, at some point they would've had to do away with the hans solo character.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, and it was an enjoyable movie, but seemed like a rehash of the original 1977 movie. Same themes, same plotline, etc. I could predict everything that was going to happen.

seemed to me that she was Luke's daughter. and yes, at some point they would've had to do away with the hans solo character.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan and felt exactly the same way. I left the theater content that it was fun and that Rey was a kick-ass character and Solo felt like Solo, but the further I got away from it, the more disappointed I am in that it played everything so freaking straight/safe... even though that's exactly what I expected from JJ. That said, I'm a HUGE fan of Rian Johnson and think he can do something special with the next one if he's not hamstrung by what came before.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
It's a competent movie and Star Wars that makes it a baseline 7/10 in my book.
I still give it 8.5 - 9.

It certainly was safe while still being entertaining. I can't say I was surprised by anything that happened but I still enjoyed it.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

Why would they have to do away with him?