NBA Off Season Thread

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Just what we needed - a fourth guy for our non-existent slot...

How hard is it to understand bringing guys into training camp? It happens every year, yet some people still don't understand after all their years watching basketball that not everyone will make through camp. This is one such player.

Coro pretty much confirmed they signed him with the belief they would put him in Bakersfield. They added another SF the exact same way.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The Suns add another D-League type prospect in SF Kyle Casey, age 24. He is sort of an interesting player that may have slipped through the cracks. I believe he played center at Yale and he has a 7'1" wingspan. Still, it would be nice if the Suns focused on some big man prospects to develop.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....-suns-sign-former-harvard-forward-kyle-casey/
Don't you think that calling a Wing player a big man, regardless of his wingspan, is going too far? Even if he played Center back in college. In the pro's, a Small Forward has more in common with a Shooting Guard than to a Power Forward.

Especially on a team that has a long history of playing Power Forwards at Center. Although hopefully not this season. But I wouldn't bet the ranch on it, considering Len's history of foul trouble and injuries.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Don't you think that calling a Wing player a big man, regardless of his wingspan, is going too far?

Who's doing that? Don't you think that putting words in other people's mouths is going too far?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't you think that calling a Wing player a big man, regardless of his wingspan, is going too far? Even if he played Center back in college. In the pro's, a Small Forward has more in common with a Shooting Guard than to a Power Forward.

Especially on a team that has a long history of playing Power Forwards at Center. Although hopefully not this season. But I wouldn't bet the ranch on it, considering Len's history of foul trouble and injuries.

Actually this is what I said. See below.

The Suns add another D-League type prospect in SF Kyle Casey, age 24.

I did mention Casey has a 7-1 wingspan and played center in college. However, I should take this opportunity to correct he played at Harvard, not Yale.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Did I miss something, Mainstreet (and Eric)?

You said, "The Suns add another D-League type prospect in SF Kyle Casey, age 24. He is sort of an interesting player that may have slipped through the cracks. I believe he played center at Yale and he has a 7'1" wingspan. Still, it would be nice if the Suns focused on some big man prospects to develop."

Wasn't Casey the player to whom you referred as a big man prospect?

If your post was about Casey, but you conclusion about someone else, I didn't see that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You said, "The Suns add another D-League type prospect in SF Kyle Casey, age 24. He is sort of an interesting player that may have slipped through the cracks. I believe he played center at Yale and he has a 7'1" wingspan. Still, it would be nice if the Suns focused on some big man prospects to develop."

If your post was about Casey, but you conclusion about someone else, I didn't see that.

Actually what I said regarding big men.

Still, it would be nice if the Suns focused on some big man prospects to develop.

I never considered Casey as a big man prospect and I never said so. Actually I said it would be nice if the Suns focused on developing some big man prospects.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Is English your native language? Seriously dude, I don't understand how you could get "I consider Casey a big man" from what Mainstreet wrote.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Elindholm, thanks for the support.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I'm not Mainstreet or Eric but yes, you missed something. His point, if you're still confused, is in line with your thinking. He'd rather they bring in some actual big men to develop than another guard or a small forward.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Mainstreet, I've asked the question, "Wasn't Casey the player to whom you referred as a big man prospect?" I asked because his playing Center in college does not necessarily make him a big man prospect in the NBA, which I think was a valid point.

I then said, "If your post was about Casey, but your conclusion about someone else, I didn't see that." In retrospect, the key word was "still", and I didn't pick up on that as a "nevertheless".

And, yes Eric, English is my native language. If you count New Jersey as English. But then, I left it 37 years ago for the Sonoran Desert. Leave it to you to inject sarcasm into a conversation between two other people. Weak!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not Mainstreet or Eric but yes, you missed something. His point, if you're still confused, is in line with your thinking. He'd rather they bring in some actual big men to develop than another guard or a small forward.

Thank you.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Leave it to you to inject sarcasm into a conversation between two other people. Weak!

If you don't want your discussions to be open to the rest of the community, use private messages. They work perfectly well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is not much out there JC.

It appears the Wolves may be interested in trading Anthony Bennett. Although he is labeled as a tweener by some, I wonder if he could be successful if given more minutes. IMO, he would have to play the PF position if he has any chance of being successful. I know most have seemingly written him off, but he is still only age 22. However, he was the first pick in the 2013 draft and he is getting paid like one. Apparently there are no takers in a trade as yet. The Wolves might have to add some sweetners to get it done.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bennean01.html

http://hoopshabit.com/2015/08/24/minnesota-timberwolves-still-hope-anthony-bennett/

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd trade Kieff for Bennett plus a pick. I'm sure the Wolves would want some protection on it but making it top 10 protected I'd still do that trade. Bennett could break out with more minutes, is a little cheaper than Kieff, and opens things up moving forward at the PF spot if he doesn't improve.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd trade Kieff for Bennett plus a pick. I'm sure the Wolves would want some protection on it but making it top 10 protected I'd still do that trade. Bennett could break out with more minutes, is a little cheaper than Kieff, and opens things up moving forward at the PF spot if he doesn't improve.

I wouldn't trade Markieff straight up for Bennett. Trading for Bennett is a huge gamble. The Suns would have to get Adreian Payne and a first round draft pick included to even think about it.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah... Bennett is a terrible terrible player who also has some serious injury red flags. I don't know where the appeal is. An undersized, slow, PF who almost exclusively shoots from the outside but is really bad at outside shooting.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kieff for Bennet and Dieng. Works perfect. Besides Dieng is the 3 string center now.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Kieff for Bennet and Dieng. Works perfect. Besides Dieng is the 3 string center now.

I'd jump at that - Markieff for Dieng with Bennett thrown in as filler. The downside is that Dieng is a C so Alex Len would lose much of his playing time.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd take Dieng in that trade as well but the Suns would be short a PF and have a logjam for minutes at center. Likely the Suns would have to do another trade.

Let's face it, the only reason we are talking about Bennett is because nothing is going on.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd take Dieng in that trade as well but the Suns would be short a PF and have a logjam for minutes at center. Likely the Suns would have to do another trade.

Let's face it, the only reason we are talking about Bennett is because nothing is going on.

Bennett would work in with Leuer and Tele and we see what happens. Or we could develop a specialized offense for 2 centers 2 pgs and a wing.