DCU: Suicide Squad

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warner Bros. Courting Ryan Gosling, Will Smith, Tom Hardy, and Margot Robbie for Suicide Squad

http://collider.com/suicide-squad-will-smith-ryan-gosling/

The superhero news just keeps on coming today. Earlier this morning, Warner Bros. unveiled its full slate of DC Comics adaptations through the year 2020. One of the more surprising revelations was that the superhero pic set to follow the release of the sure-to-be-massive Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice will be Suicide Squad, with Fury and End of Watch helmer David Ayer set to direct. That release date is set for August 5, 2016, and so as Ayer gets to work on the script, the studio is starting to think about casting—and boy are they aiming high. The actors that are reportedly being courted to lead this new DC film are Ryan Gosling, Will Smith, Margot Robbie, and Tom Hardy.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's Official: 'Suicide Squad' to Star Will Smith, Jared Leto, Margot Robbie and More

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/official-suicide-squad-star-will-753470

-------------

Breaking: Suicide Squad Cast Confirmed!

http://schmoesknow.com/breaking-suicide-squad-cast-confirmed/32018/

According to a new report by The Hollywod Reporter, actors Will Smith, Tom Hardy, Cara Delevingne, Jai Courtney, Margot Robbie, and Jared Leto have all officially been cast in the film! Smith will be playing the character Deadshot, Hardy will be the group leader Rick Flagg, Courtney will play Captain Boomerang, Cara Delevingne will play Enchantress and Jared Leto and Margot Robbie will be playing the craziest couple in comics, The Joker and Harley Quinn!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I REALLY don't get Hollywood's love affair with Jai Courtney. Feels like they're trying to ram him down people's throats the same way they did with that corpse otherwise known as Sam Worthington a couple years.

both of them are just dull-flat faces.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I will likely see this in the theater as I remember reading the comic back when I collected comics but I have to ask...

Are enough people familiar with Suicide Squad to make this a success? Aside from the Joker, who will the casual moviegoer even know on this team?

I am not much of a DC fan (aside from Batman), never was, but a movie for this team is really reaching IMO

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will likely see this in the theater as I remember reading the comic back when I collected comics but I have to ask...

Are enough people familiar with Suicide Squad to make this a success? Aside from the Joker, who will the casual moviegoer even know on this team?

I am not much of a DC fan (aside from Batman), never was, but a movie for this team is really reaching IMO

I didnt even know what it was, just had to look it up. I know harley quinn and jokers daughter but that is it.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That was what many people said about Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy also...

:grabs:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom Hardy drops out of ‘Suicide Squad’, Jake Gyllenhaal could replace him

http://batman-news.com/2015/01/15/tom-hardy-drops-suicide-squad-jake-gyllenhaal-replace/

Tom Hardy has dropped out of Suicide Squad, according to The Hollywood Reporter. According to their sources, the reason for his abrupt exit is due to scheduling.

Last December, Warner Bros. announced that Hardy would play Rick Flagg in Suicide Squad. According to The Wrap, Jake Gyllenhaal is being looked at as a replacement.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE: The Real Reason For Tom Hardy's Exit From 'Suicide Squad'

http://www.latino-review.com/news/exclusive-the-real-reason-for-tom-hardys-exit-from-suicide-squad

Heavy hitters Will Smith and Jared Leto joined respected Tom Hardy, Margo Robbie and simply-present Jai Courtney. At the time these actors signed on, they were NOT given a script for Suicide Squad.

Now, we've learned why Tom Hardy has dropped out of the project. According to sources, He simply didn't like the script he was finally given, he didn't like the drastic change to the character. Like we figured, the scheduling conflict is a cover story, so he left the project under amicable terms.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I never was a DC guy either. I had never heard of this group.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That Joker looks terrible. Like bad fan art or something. I realize the character is not one for subtly but all the tattoos are a little too on the nose, like he reads his own comics, with "Hahahaha" drawn all over him in comic book calligraphy and a giant cartoon smile on the arm. Awful.

But I am looking forward to seeing Margot Robbie's costume... for uh... purely artistic reasons.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am okay with all the tattoos except the one on the forehead. Just bad

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I had never heard of the suicide squad before....did a bit of reading on it and I kinda like the basic premise of the story.

I am guessing due to the relative anonymity of the characters,...they will look to hit big and hard with the shock and scope of the movie. right now super hero movies are huge and DC is being left behind...they need to knock it out of the park to keep people coming back....

I want to see Batman vs Superman...but the casual movie goer may not appreciate that story as much as those who read the comics....gonna be hard to make a blockbuster hit out of that one I think.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Word is that the picture is NOT the final version of the Joker. It was done for publicity reasons for the comics -- some kind of anniversary or something.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to see Batman vs Superman...but the casual movie goer may not appreciate that story as much as those who read the comics....gonna be hard to make a blockbuster hit out of that one I think.

the movie-going public doesn't need to appreciate the story in the comics. Those are the two biggest superheroes of all time. That alone will get monster butts in the seats opening weekend. How long they can keep them there and come back for multiple viewings will be determined by the quality of the movie, of which I'm dubious so far, but holding out hope for the best.