Cardinals sign Chris Rainey, whom Steelers cut over domestic violence allegation

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Bounty gate HC and DC get a second chance.....and dog killer Vick gets a 2nd chance....and manslaughter Stallworth & Little get 2nd chances.... and countless criminals get 2nd and 3rd chances then why not Rice or Rainey???

Those who commit domestic violence and abuse typically have been at the receiving end themselves so they are typically victims as well. At the very least they witnessed such acts which obviously had a negative impact on them.

We need to focus on and care more for the women who are being abused but let's not simply throw away the other human beings involved.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Bounty gate HC and DC get a second chance.....and dog killer Vick gets a 2nd chance....and manslaughter Stallworth & Little get 2nd chances.... and countless criminals get 2nd and 3rd chances then why not Rice or Rainey???

Those who commit domestic violence and abuse typically have been at the receiving end themselves so they are typically victims as well. At the very least they witnessed such acts which obviously had a negative impact on them.

We need to focus on and care more for the women who are being abused but let's not simply throw away the other human beings involved.

Agree completely. :thumbup:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Obviously DVers do get second chances. Here is Rainey getting another chance to play in the NFL. Rice will be back someday, probably next season. No one has said he's banned for life.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Obviously DVers do get second chances. Here is Rainey getting another chance to play in the NFL. Rice will be back someday, probably next season. No one has said he's banned for life.

But many posters are saying they shouldn't get a chance and are done for life. I understand why someone may think this but I disagree and posted why.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

It's pretty astonishing how people have forgotten that this country was built on giving people second chances in life. People need to own up to their mistakes, but its our job as fellow human beings to try and lift them up and help them get on the right track, and support them when they do. People have completely lost touch with this, and we have become a society of I WANT CAKE NOW and complaining constantly because we can do it so easily and without consequence.

/rant

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
It's pretty astonishing how people have forgotten that this country was built on giving people second chances in life. People need to own up to their mistakes, but its our job as fellow human beings to try and lift them up and help them get on the right track, and support them when they do. People have completely lost touch with this, and we have become a society of I WANT CAKE NOW and complaining constantly because we can do it so easily and without consequence.

/rant
:thumbup:

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
splitsecond;3037243[I said:
]It's pretty astonishing how people have forgotten that this country was built on giving people second chances in life. [/I]People need to own up to their mistakes, but its our job as fellow human beings to try and lift them up and help them get on the right track, and support them when they do. People have completely lost touch with this, and we have become a society of I WANT CAKE NOW and complaining constantly because we can do it so easily and without consequence.

/rant

Uh, the first settlers of this country ate each other. I'm pretty sure, if there had been video or Twitter in those days, they wouldn't have been given a second chance. :p

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

/rant

You point to the good side , and yes that is how things should be , but the sad truth is , this country was also built on lynch mob principles . Both side's can be seen in this thread .

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think anybody is saying throw him away but the reality is he's apparently already gotten a second chance, if not two second chances. IMO people like that are almost always given 2nd chances because they're good at football and when it happens all it teaches them is as long as I'm good enough someone else will take a chance on me.

I don't know if the comment on ESPN yesterday was accurate but they said the perception around the NFL was the Cards fully expected Rainey to get suspended at some point they were just picking him up for a few weeks until Ellington was better and hoped to be able to cut him before the NFL took action and suspended him. That's the part that irritated me, if true it means the Cards know damn well he did something wrong they're just trying to exploit the time period between it coming out and the NFL punishing him over it.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
We don't know what happened in Rainey's case. Now that the Rice video is out there, people are making assumptions that every case is similar to that.

Last year, Carlos Hyde was accused of domestic violence. Here's the video of his "domestic violence" charge. You be the judge.

http://www.madrigalmaniac.com/2013/07/30/carlos-hyde-video-tape-domestic-violence-or-not/

Should he be banned for life? I would think 6 games would be excessive for this incident.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
apparently that homework was confined to asking a couple players what he was like... completely ignoring his court dockett.

This was the quote from Kent Somers article at azcentral dated 9-10-14.

"We did our due diligence," Arians said. "I know everybody in Pittsburgh and everybody in Indianapolis, two teams he's been (with)."

Arians also consulted two current Cardinals players, linebacker Larry Foote and running back Jonathan Dwyer, teammates of Rainey's with the Steelers.

"Larry Foote stood up on the table for the guy, as did Jonathan Dwyer," Arians said. "I put a lot of stock in that."

Yes a couple of players were consulted but I'm sure more research was done. I will go with Arians judgement until proved otherwise. For the most part, I believe in second chances unless someone has gone beyond redemption. I don't think this is the case here.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sport...iney/15426819/

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
It's pretty astonishing how people have forgotten that this country was built on giving people second chances in life.

It is pretty astonishing that people continue to ignore that this is NOT a second chance.

We don't know what happened in Rainey's cases.

FTFY

For the most part, I believe in second chances unless someone has gone beyond redemption. I don't think this is the case here.

You are right. This is a fourth chance.

2010: Chris Rainey texted a women he had formerly dated for three years, "Time to die, b----". He was arrested for aggravated stalking. At the time he was the 27th player arrested at UF since Urban Meyer took over. He was also banned from speaking to the media because of inappropriate comments he made about coeds at the time.

2013: Pittsburgh Steeler waived Chris Rainey after he is arrested for dragging his girlfriend out of a car and slapping her across the face, according to police reports. There arguing about his cell phone.

July 2013: Chuck Pagano announces Rainey has been released citing, It's unfortunate and a violation of team rules. It was an in-house deal, that's all I'm going to say about that."

This isn't abut a lynch mob mentality. This is about a guy who has already had too many chances and my disappointment in my team giving him yet another one despite a pretty clear pattern.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is pretty astonishing that people continue to ignore that this is NOT a second chance.

FTFY

You are right. This is a fourth chance.

2010: Chris Rainey texted a women he had formerly dated for three years, "Time to die, b----". He was arrested for aggravated stalking. At the time he was the 27th player arrested at UF since Urban Meyer took over. He was also banned from speaking to the media because of inappropriate comments he made about coeds at the time.

2013: Pittsburgh Steeler waived Chris Rainey after he is arrested for dragging his girlfriend out of a car and slapping her across the face, according to police reports. There arguing about his cell phone.

July 2013: Chuck Pagano announces Rainey has been released citing, It's unfortunate and a violation of team rules. It was an in-house deal, that's all I'm going to say about that."

This isn't abut a lynch mob mentality. This is about a guy who has already had too many chances and my disappointment in my team giving him yet another one despite a pretty clear pattern.

Spot on Crisper.

It seems that some posters put football above what is right.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was the quote from Kent Somers article at azcentral dated 9-10-14.

Yes a couple of players were consulted but I'm sure more research was done. I will go with Arians judgement until proved otherwise. For the most part, I believe in second chances unless someone has gone beyond redemption. I don't think this is the case here.

from the guy who bitched about LeBron James' "collusion" while giving Colangelo a free pass on his much more obvious collusion with AC Green/Danny Manning, why am I not surprised that you're okay with "trusting Arians" judgement in the face of evidence that we just signed a complete scumbag.

you prove over and over again that you will stand on the high and mighty of moral fortitude... unless it has to do with your own team.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You point to the good side , and yes that is how things should be , but the sad truth is , this country was also built on lynch mob principles . Both side's can be seen in this thread .

this country was also built on the idea of women being second class citizens and treated as such and that ugly side can be seen in all these discussions as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
from the guy who bitched about LeBron James' "collusion" while giving Colangelo a free pass on his much more obvious collusion with AC Green/Danny Manning, why am I not surprised that you're okay with "trusting Arians" judgement in the face of evidence that we just signed a complete scumbag.

you prove over and over again that you will stand on the high and mighty of moral fortitude... unless it has to do with your own team.

Just the facts please.

My you have built you a high pedestal from which to preach.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't look to my pro sports for my morals so this Rainey thing doesn't bother me. What would bother me is if he paid large money to a guy with a history of issues, counted on him to be a big part of our team, and then act shocked when he gets caught being the guy we knew him to be.

Oh wait.

I don't have an issue with Vick being back in the league.

I wouldn't have an issue with Rice being back in the league once his legal situation was figured out. That being said, I would have a tough time seeing a team investing money in a guy with this background, and playing a position like RB with his statistical decline.

If someone wants to pay a criminal money to get beat up for 17 weeks of the year, why should I care?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I, for one, don't want to devote any time or effort supporting a team who signs dudes who run dog-fighting rings or who knockout women.

I don't feel inclined to tell someone else why they should care if someone else hits a woman and gets a slap on the wrist until a video comes out.

Reaction score
OT: Check out the action on the left hand side of the video.

There is no neat packaged solution to encompass every one of these DV/assult situations and have it be "fair" in the outcome. It is a case by case basis, and it is very difficult to determine proper response in many of the cases. And that is why the NFL has stumbled into a situation that they have no place in being.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just the facts please.

again, facts are the guy has been adjudicated by the courts... TWICE and been found to be a scumbag towards women. AND facts are he's been CUT by TWO teams because of these actions and other "unspecified" reasons. Not sure what other facts that are important.

My you have built you a high pedestal from which to preach.

Says the man who preaches about others teams/players lack of morality, but turns a blind eye to their when someone's morality on their own team is blatantly show to be just as bad.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort