Diamondbacks 2010 Season Thread

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
You have to wonder if the Dbacks might have sold high on Haren. He continues to be very hittable.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You have to wonder if the Dbacks might have sold high on Haren. He continues to be very hittable.

Agreed, though his 3.44 ERA is respectable. Also, it is sounding as though his attitude became cancerous in the locker room.

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reds 6 - D-backs 2

Small crowd...jumped out in front 2-0 thanks to Kelly Johnson...held the lead until the 7th...gave the game away in the 9th...:bang:

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Now we are tied for the 3rd pick in next years draft. :clapping:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Now we are tied for the 3rd pick in next years draft. :clapping:
What a conundrum, as Chris Walken would say. :)

The ol' question of tank it and get a higher pick. Or let Jerry Dipoto and Kirk Gibson turn this team around before any more damage is done to its players . . . and fans.

I can't vote for tanking. Not even in the NBA, where draft picks are so much more crucial, because of their immediate placement on the big team's roster.

I just can't.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am not really in favor of tanking, at all. It just gives me a reason to not be as angry.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hope we end with the second worst record, for one reason, and his name is Matt Purke, this kid is going to be an absolute stud. No reason to win now, no one seems to care anyways. Heres to Purke & Jungman in '11.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to score this view last night .... pretty cool experience

Unfortunately, anyone who watched the game was subjected to my goofy mug for 3 hours

You must be registered for see images

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Another solid performance from Kennedy last night, taking him to 9 & 9 for the season. Man, between him, Hudson and Enright, we have an amazing young core! Who knows what Parker could eventually bring but the upside there is big! Why can't this team somehow find a way to WIN with such solid pitching??? :bang:

I really believe more trades are required. Young and/or Upton have to be serious considerations in order to grab a legit closer and/or 7th/8th inning guy!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another solid performance from Kennedy last night, taking him to 9 & 9 for the season. Man, between him, Hudson and Enright, we have an amazing young core! Who knows what Parker could eventually bring but the upside there is big! Why can't this team somehow find a way to WIN with such solid pitching??? :bang:

I really believe more trades are required. Young and/or Upton have to be serious considerations in order to grab a legit closer and/or 7th/8th inning guy!

Didn't we win last night?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course... I was basing my post on my view that the D-Backs have consistently had better-than-average starting pitching, but can't get over the hump..

And AA relief pitching, which is a little better as of late :)

Padres have a great bullpen. Built from the draft. Never been a big fan of trading for relief pitchers, who tend to be flakes and unreliable, for the most part.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Given that this team is 20 games out of first place, I looked at stats and saw that we have 3 guys with a legit shot at 100 RBI's (Reynolds, LaRoche & Young) which shows this team has some pop but those 3 along with Johnson & Upton all have over 100K's which tells that tale of our season along with a bad bullpen.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
What "hump"? I don't follow you either.

Given that this team is 20 games out of first place, I looked at stats and saw that we have 3 guys with a legit shot at 100 RBI's (Reynolds, LaRoche & Young) which shows this team has some pop but those 3 along with Johnson & Upton all have over 100K's which tells that tale of our season along with a bad bullpen.

DWKB, the post here is sorta the hump I'm preferring to. It just seems to me that for as long as I can remember, the Dbacks have had good enough starting pitching to be minimally competitive. Yet, they just can't sustain winning.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice to see them get a win on the first day of September. I would love to see them go back to back months with a winning record. It could give the guys some hope going into next year.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

Our starting pitching has been bad too, third if not worst starting pitching in the NL by any available metric. For all the good that Huddy and Enright have done it was balanced out by the disasters that were D-Train, Buckner, and Kris Benson. Lopez is awful too.

The offense may strike out too much but is good enough to win. If our starting pitching and bullpen was merely average this season, say on par with the eighth place team in the NL in total runs allowed then we're talking an increase of around 130 runs in our +/- which puts us about where Colorado is.

Become merely an average pitching team, fill the black hole in left field (2nd worse OPS at this position in baseball), and this team can win as soon as next year.

Last edited:

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DWKB, the post here is sorta the hump I'm preferring to. It just seems to me that for as long as I can remember, the Dbacks have had good enough starting pitching to be minimally competitive. Yet, they just can't sustain winning.

I don't know, our offense has been basically league average (93 OPS+ compared to 94 OPS+ for NL). Similar to PHI in R/G and OPS+

Our pitching as a whole has been far below league average (90 ERA+ compared to 101 ERA+ for NL).

A lot of that has to do with our BP, but our top 4 SPs in IP have ERA+ of 85, 107, 87, 97.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I think the spirit of Chad Qualls jumped into Heilman when he left town.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As of Sept 22:

Horrible, can't manage his way out of a paper sack, has no respect from players, GM puppet, AJ Hinch took this team to a 31-48 record before getting canned.

Awesome, gritty, winner, respected, born leader, Kirk Gibson took over the reins and managed to get the team to put up a 29-43 record from that point till now.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
As of Sept 22:

Horrible, can't manage his way out of a paper sack, has no respect from players, GM puppet, AJ Hinch took this team to a 31-48 record before getting canned.

Awesome, gritty, winner, respected, born leader, Kirk Gibson took over the reins and managed to get the team to put up a 29-43 record from that point till now.
Any Manager who takes over a team during the season is a caretaker, making do with what he has. Horrible bullpen, no lefty pitchers and a team that has been trained for years to be homerun (strikeout) happy.

That is why he has the title "interim". It reflects how he took the job, as well as the present.

Unless and until Kirk Gibson is chosen as Manager from the start of Spring Training (and especially with a stable front office stocking the team), he should not be compared to any manager not in the same category.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any Manager who takes over a team during the season is a caretaker, making do with what he has. Horrible bullpen, no lefty pitchers and a team that has been trained for years to be homerun (strikeout) happy.

That is why he has the title "interim". It reflects how he took the job, as well as the present.

Unless and until Kirk Gibson is chosen as Manager from the start of Spring Training (and especially with a stable front office stocking the team), he should not be compared to any manager not in the same category.

Honestly, you have no credibility with me for anything you say. You've still not addressed why you flat make crap up to boost your pre-conceived notions. I doubt this post will make you change your ways.

My point isn't that Gibson is a bad manager, but that Hinch wasn't the horrible manager you've made him out to be. Why didn't you ever give him the "benefit of the doubt" with doing the best he had to work with, which on the field this year was the same as Gibson? Because of your great personality perception skills from 1,000 ft away and your success at personally winning baseball? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Honestly, you have no credibility with me for anything you say. You've still not addressed why you flat make crap up to boost your pre-conceived notions. I doubt this post will make you change your ways.

My point isn't that Gibson is a bad manager, but that Hinch wasn't the horrible manager you've made him out to be. Why didn't you ever give him the "benefit of the doubt" with doing the best he had to work with, which on the field this year was the same as Gibson? Because of your great personality perception skills from 1,000 ft away and your success at personally winning baseball? :rolleyes:

Attacking me isn't going to change the past. Melvin and Hinch were introverts. Very good for the job as Bench Coach but lacking as figureheads.

I suggest you read the Peter Principle -- "In a hierarchy, every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence."

Trying to insult me because we disagree doesn't change that concept or the results.

I recently posted something to the AzCentral board (not sports). From what I read, many of their participants are foul-mouthed and degrading. I must say that even our most uptight posters are more civilized and sophisticated than their best.

Keep up the good work, guys. :)

Now, let's attack problems rather than people at ASFN. And, no, we are not all going to have the same opinion.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Attacking me isn't going to change the past.

Trying to insult me because we disagree doesn't change that concept or the results.

Yeah, I think it's more about your constant distortion of the facts to support your preconceived notions than it is about a difference of opinion. Maybe one day you'll understand that and quit trying to put words in my mouth. I won't hold my breath though.