LB and TPE for Turk and Childress

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think people should take Horford's name out of the equation. ATL will not let him go anywhere. They'll trade Josh Smith for peanuts before that happens. If not for his huge contract, Josh Smith would be a good fit here at PF.

Yeah, I'm not sure how Horford's name came up in the first place. I know the team was dysfunctional at times but I had always thought that centered around Josh Smith more than anyone else. Smith may be a head case but he's one heck of a talent. If you're into the home run or bust idea he'd be a great acquisition. Personally, I'd take the gamble.

Steve

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the Suns really are going to take one more stab at this. Not that I think we can get past the Lakers or Miami. However, they replaced Amare essentially now with a good offensive PF who doesn't rebound and doesn't play any defense.

The scary thing here is that Hedo will be under contract for 5 more years. I wonder if the Suns are thinking Nash will be around for a couple of those and then they could possibly move him. Hedo is not our PF of the future by any stretch.

Childress on the other hand is what 27? He he can give 10 points a night off the bench I would be happy with that. When Childress played with Atlanta he played pretty good defense at the SG/SF positions. At least the Suns appear to bring in more defensive help on the bench.

I just have mixed feelings about Hedo's contract. I mean I understand if the Suns want to take another run before Nash is gone. However, from a starting lineup perspective we didn't get any better defensively (his defensive #'s were slightly worse then Amare's), we didn't get better rebounding and took on his bad contract. Now factor in that I don't think we can get past the Lakers or Miami.

Part of me says, we should have just blown up this team instead of saddling ourselves with contracts that include Hedo, Frye and Warrick.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Al Jefferson: Slow big man with his feet nailed to the ground. He would be a very poor fit in our offense.

Kirilinko: Good defender, shot blocker and rebounder. Nice addition but how many forwards does one team need? Someone would have to go.

Turk: I don't know what happened in Toronto, but the salary concessions make this a reasonable deal

Childress: Fairly young athletic forward. Good D. Nice aquisition. We needed depth at the 2.

This team needs Jason Richardson now more than ever. He will be our primary scorer. He proved in the playoffs that he can fill that role. I want to keep JR and let him become our "star" player. While some might not like that idea, it's not likely we will be able to get anyone else to fill that role.

This trade makes the aquisition of Warrick pointless. Maybe we can renege.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Childress: Fairly young athletic forward. Good D. Nice aquisition. We needed depth at the 2.

Childress played lots of 2 with Atlanta and held his own defensively. His defensive #'s were almost identical playing either SG or SF. Dragic also plays the 2 alot in our system as well. I think we are good for depth at 2.

Chandler would be the perfect choice for a defensive rebounding big man to fill out the roster. I thought he was a physical wreck though.

He is a defensive big man but not a rebounding defensive big man. He really is a poor rebounder overall for his size. He only averaged 6.3 last year. However, it appears that the Suns are going to rebound by committee again this year anyway. If we get Chandler it's for defense.

Last edited:

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Probably wont' happen, but if the Suns were able to land Jefferson:

Nash: 6'2
Childress: 6'8
Turkoglu: 6'10
Jefferson: 6'10
Lopez: 7'0

That is a freakishly tall and PERFECTLY balanced lineup.

Nash is the ultimate distributor and will get this team running on all cylinders.

Childress is "Marion Jr." From what I recall he's a very solid defender, slasher, and rebounder at his position.

Hedo is much more suited at the 3 and if he can return to form is an extremely well rounded player. Can hit the J, take it to the hoop, guard multiple positions, and be a matchup nightmare at 6'10 for other SF's.

In Jefferson, the Suns (fans) would finally have the post player they've coveted. Yes he had a below average year last year returning from his injury, but I think he'd be fine. His scoring would probably be down a bit since the Suns have so many options. But he would be a beast on the boards. I wouldn't be surprised to see him grab 12-13 a game with the Suns.

Lopez is TALL and can guard the best big on most teams. Pretty solid offensively too. Solid enough to keep other teams honest. A very good dirt worker and look at what he did for Amare's rebounding numbers. With Lopez boxing out and Jefferson / Turk / Childress grabbing the rebounds I think the Suns would actually be one of the better rebounding teams in the league.

I haven't even mentioned the bench. By far the best bench in the NBA and probably better than a handful of starting lineups.

Dragic
Dudley
Hill
Warrick
Frye

I can dream, right? If the Suns landed Jefferson I'd forgive Sarver for all of his horrible moves. I still don't think he's cheap. (Especially after the Turk trade.) He has just made some awfully questionable moves.

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
He is a defensive big man but not a rebounding defensive big man. He really is a poor rebounder overall for his size. He only averaged 6.7 last year. However, it appears that the Suns are going to rebound by committee again this year anyway. If we get Chandler it's for defense.

Tyson Chandler is a great rebounder. He averaged over 12 a game the season before he was injured. Last year, he didn't get a lot of playing time, but still gathered over 70% of his team's defensive boards and over 30% of his team's offensive boards. In comparison, that's a higher percentage than David Lee.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Nash is the ultimate distributor and will get this team running on all cylinders.

Childress is "Marion Jr." From what I recall he's a very solid defender, slasher, and rebounder at his position.

Hedo is much more suited at the 3 and if he can return to form is an extremely well rounded player. Can hit the J, take it to the hoop, guard multiple positions, and be a matchup nightmare at 6'10 for other SF's.

In Jefferson, the Suns (fans) would finally have the post player they've coveted. Yes he had a below average year last year returning from his injury, but I think he'd be fine. His scoring would probably be down a bit since the Suns have so many options. But he would be a beast on the boards. I wouldn't be surprised to see him grab 12-13 a game with the Suns.

Lopez is TALL and can guard the best big on most teams. Pretty solid offensively too. Solid enough to keep other teams honest. A very good dirt worker and look at what he did for Amare's rebounding numbers. With Lopez boxing out and Jefferson / Turk / Childress grabbing the rebounds I think the Suns would actually be one of the better rebounding teams in the league.

I haven't even mentioned the bench. By far the best bench in the NBA and probably better than a handful of starting lineups.

Dragic
Dudley
Hill
Warrick
Frye

I can dream, right? If the Suns landed Jefferson I'd forgive Sarver for all of his horrible moves. I still don't think he's cheap. (Especially after the Turk trade.) He has just made some awfully questionable moves.

That would be a great scenario, and make us an instant contender. I like our squad now, but just don't see it working without a legit PF.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This team could play even with the Lakers or Heat, then our bench would finish them off. Adding Jefferson would put this team there with the best. I'm seriously drinking the koolaid. :koolaid:

whoa, easy there. i'd like this team as well, but stars win championships. name me one team that hasn't had a total stud win (other than the blip on the radar that was the pistons). i think that team would be terrific, just not certain it has anyone that could take over a game in crunch time when necessary.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Dragic
Dudley
Hill
Warrick
Frye

What's the reasoning for Childress starting over Hill? Remember, Grant Hill off the bench is a terrible proposition--remember when we tried that? He was terrible. He's MUCH more effective as a starter. Especially with the way Gentry manages his minutes.

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
whoa, easy there. i'd like this team as well, but stars win championships. name me one team that hasn't had a total stud win (other than the blip on the radar that was the pistons). i think that team would be terrific, just not certain it has anyone that could take over a game in crunch time when necessary.

I consider a PF who averages 20-10 like Jefferson would here to be a star.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The way I see it, moves like these put more pressure on Lopez to be a force on the boards.

which he just isn't. never has been. and i don't think he ever will be. he's good at boxing out, but doesn't have the athleticism or anticipation to then go actually collect the rebounds. i'll be surprised if he ever averages MORE than 8/game, but i could see him collecting 8/game.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We are getting Turkoglu and Childress, but about half of the posts in this thread are about Jefferson who hasn't even been rumored to be coming here.

But I'd be a bit surprised too if there were no further moves, especially involving J-Rich, because it doesn't seem likely to me that the Suns would want to pay Childress $6M/year to come off the bench. They already have that in Frye. It just doesn't mean that we would be getting a starting PF in return.

Right now, once these deals are completed, we are looking at 10 rotation players with a bench that's potentially even better than last year. But that also means Clark will likely be out of rotation again, unless we play 11 which is hard to do. How can we find minutes for all these players?

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Trading JRich would be stupid, he is one of the most explosive scorers on our team and with more touches he can score better this year.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
i think that team would be terrific, just not certain it has anyone that could take over a game in crunch time when necessary.

Uh, I'm pretty sure Turkeyglue has a reputation for being a pretty decent closer...

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Trading JRich would be stupid, he is one of the most explosive scorers on our team and with more touches he can score better this year.

I'd like to keep him but he's the easiest piece to move to get what we need. Unless we pull of a miracle and get a solid PF for the remainder of the TPE (roughly $5.7 million), I don't see it happening.

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score

JRich works best as a third option. He no longer has the athleticism or explosiveness needed to carry a team consistently. Jefferson, however, has proven that he can shoulder the scoring load for a team and be the primary option.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What's the reasoning for Childress starting over Hill? Remember, Grant Hill off the bench is a terrible proposition--remember when we tried that? He was terrible. He's MUCH more effective as a starter. Especially with the way Gentry manages his minutes.

i think the reasoning would be that childress is far better suited to playing the 2 than is grant at this stage in their careers.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson