What are you reading now?

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Just finished The Circle trilogy, Project Showdown Trilogy, and started The Shack.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished The Circle trilogy, Project Showdown Trilogy, and started The Shack.

Read The Shack not too long ago, let me know what you think of it :)

I'm reading the Dexter books (book 2 now) and also some random graphic novels.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Finished it a bit ago Mike. Loved it. And, I have been preaching against the hierarchy, religious dogma, stuff for a long time now. With the same reasoning. Gifted and revealing concepts all in all.
Now onto Jenkins SOON trilogy.

Last edited:

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Done with that, now "This present Darkness and Piercxing The Darkness" by Perreti(y?)

AZZenny

Reaction score
Finished Jane Mayer's The Dark Side at just befiore midnight, woke up in a cold sweat at 4:15 realizing how badly our Democracy has been wounded by the Cheney WH -- the book focuses graphically on their rapid move to approve torture (which they originally wanted OKed for use on American Citizens), but it is presented as the best documented example of the broadly unconstitutional 'executive powers' sought by Cheney and his hand-picked crew.

They have been laying the groundwork for 30 years, it is very clear, and what woke me, gripped with icy fear, was the absolute realization that they are not going to let go come Nov. 4.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finished Jane Mayer's The Dark Side at just befiore midnight, woke up in a cold sweat at 4:15 realizing how badly our Democracy has been wounded by the Cheney
Zenny, you need to pick up a romance novel or something every once in a while. I'll bet if you were your patient you suggest balancing your life a little with some fun. ;)

AZZenny

Reaction score
Well, I just reread The Virginian, what do you want? I have the new Sharon Kay Penman novel and the new Frederick Forsyth in the pile.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
I read that one a couple of years ago, very eye-opening. I've got another one of his books in my queue at the library right now.

Hot, Flat, and Crowded: Why We Need a Green Revolution--and How It Can Renew America

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Flat-Crow...bs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225144090&sr=8-2

I hope I enjoy it as much as you did.

I ordered the audiobook of Hot, Flat, and Crowded. I've started listening to audiobooks at work now instead of music and have found it more productive for me.

I started reading The Great Derangement first though. It's by Matt Taibbi of the Rolling Stone and is a pretty good look at the government and John Hagee's group.

If anybody is a fan of his work with the Rolling Stone, you'll definitely enjoy the book.

AZZenny

Reaction score
The Family - The secret fundamentalism at the heart of American power by Jeff Sharlet. I read an excerpt/article <<----LINK about a year ago that was very well-written and just scary as hell, and the book gets high praise both as a history and investigative piece.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just finished "Death With Interruptions" by Jose Saramago.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Last Harvest," by Witold Rybscinski

You must be registered for see images attach

From Publishers Weekly
Architecture critic Rybczynski spent four and a half years observing the progress of New Daleville, a residential subdivision designed by one of his former students in a "neotraditional" style that builds houses close together on smaller-than-usual lots in order to foster a stronger sense of community. He is there to witness every stage of development, from the purchase of a large tract of land in rural Pennsylvania through meetings with local community leaders to get planning approval, to the moment when a family moves into one of the first completed units. The account is forthright about the difficulties New Daleville's creators face in making the project work, but Rybczynski (A Clearing in the Distance, etc.) remains optimistic that "the small lots [and] narrow streets... will all make sense" in the future. Occasionally, he provides historical and cultural perspective in a style reminiscent of Malcolm Gladwell, debunking the myth of urban sprawl and explaining American homeowners' preference for single-family dwellings. But Rybczynski also excels at the "close-up," John McPhee's method of reporting, where every interview reads like an intimate conversation, and a simple walk down neighborhood sidewalks can reveal a wealth of history. This charming mixture of reportage and social criticism fits comfortably on the shelf next to David Brooks's On Paradise Drive. (Apr.)

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Just picked up Malcolm Gladwell's new book, Outliers, from the library. I've got 5 books going right now, but I'm putting them all down for this one. Gladwell's books are like crack for me.

Amazon.com Review
Amazon Best of the Month, November 2008: Now that he's gotten us talking about the viral life of ideas and the power of gut reactions, Malcolm Gladwell poses a more provocative question in Outliers: why do some people succeed, living remarkably productive and impactful lives, while so many more never reach their potential? Challenging our cherished belief of the "self-made man," he makes the democratic assertion that superstars don't arise out of nowhere, propelled by genius and talent: "they are invariably the beneficiaries of hidden advantages and extraordinary opportunities and cultural legacies that allow them to learn and work hard and make sense of the world in ways others cannot." Examining the lives of outliers from Mozart to Bill Gates, he builds a convincing case for how successful people rise on a tide of advantages, "some deserved, some not, some earned, some just plain lucky."

Outliers can be enjoyed for its bits of trivia, like why most pro hockey players were born in January, how many hours of practice it takes to master a skill, why the descendents of Jewish immigrant garment workers became the most powerful lawyers in New York, how a pilots' culture impacts their crash record, how a centuries-old culture of rice farming helps Asian kids master math. But there's more to it than that. Throughout all of these examples--and in more that delve into the social benefits of lighter skin color, and the reasons for school achievement gaps--Gladwell invites conversations about the complex ways privilege manifests in our culture. He leaves us pondering the gifts of our own history, and how the world could benefit if more of our kids were granted the opportunities to fulfill their remarkable potential. --Mari Malcolm