Warriors @ Suns - 7PM MY45

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So because the suns embarassed themselves against hou on friday, they'll have to go @s.a, @n.o./dal, likely @la/@utah just to get to the finals.

Where they would likely face the best team in the league, boston. Call my crazy but I don't think the title drought ends this year.

i still can't believe how badly they crapped the bed on Friday. Houston has gotten pummeled by EVERY contender they've played since their streak ended and then we go in there, after our biggest win of the season, knowing we can control our own destiny and lay the biggest egg of the season. That's pretty damn disconcerting.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
that can't be right. if the Jazz win and we win, we both have the same record but they have the better Conference record and the tie-breaker against us in head to head. So how can we be the 3 and they're the 4?

yeah you're right. i made a mistake in my counting. we would be 5 and the rockets would be 4.

atikiN

Registered
Reaction score
So because the suns embarassed themselves against hou on friday, they'll have to go @s.a, @n.o./dal, likely @la/@utah just to get to the finals.

Where they would likely face the best team in the league, boston. Call my crazy but I don't think the title drought ends this year.
can you imagine any more rewarding road to the finals than through SA, DAL and LA? I can't.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
All I have to say is that Amare should be ashamed of himself. When you are over 6'9, and there is 60 missed shots by your opponent and 50 by your team, you'd think you'd grab 10 of those, at the very least.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the highest we can get is the 5, right? with no homecourt? against the Rockets? Is that right? If SA loses, we win and the Rockets win, that puts Utah at the 3, Houston at 4 and us at 5, correct? Assuming we win on Wednesday which is no given.

We can get to the 3 seed according to tonight's broadcast.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep the Suns are just 1 game back from SA. If Utah wins on Wednesday and the Suns win the Suns will be the higher seed.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay here is the scenario:

Should Utah beat San Antonio and the Suns win then the Suns will be the 3 seed and play Houston at home.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have the head to head tiebreaker against the Spurs. Should the Suns and Spurs finish with the same record the Suns have it.

yeah, but if the Spurs lose, that means the Jazz win and they have the tie-breaker over us, the Rockets (who aren't going to lose to the Clippers) and the Spurs, which gives them the 3 seed I believe.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay here is the scenario:

Should Utah beat San Antonio and the Suns win then the Suns will be the 3 seed and play Houston at home.

why would Utah not be the three seed in that scenario? They have the tie-breaker over everyone.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, but if the Spurs lose, that means the Jazz win and they have the tie-breaker over us, the Rockets (who aren't going to lose to the Clippers) and the Spurs, which gives them the 3 seed I believe.

It was said repeatedly during the broadcast that a 4 way tie puts the Suns in the 3rd slot. I doubt they would be wrong on that but I will check.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was said repeatedly during the broadcast that a 4 way tie puts the Suns in the 3rd slot. I doubt they would be wrong on that but I will check.

they beat us 2-1, they beat the Rockets 2-1 and if they beat the Spurs, they'll own that 3-1. I don't see how they wouldn't get the 3 if all those teams are tied with them.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MORE THAN TWO TEAMS TIED

1. If applicable, division champions must be determined first.

2. Better winning percentage in all games among the tied teams.

3. Better winning percentage against teams in own division (only if all tied teams are in same division).

4. Better winning percentage against teams in own conference.

5. Better winning percentage against teams eligible for playoffs in own conference (including team that finished the regular season tied for a playoff position).

6. Best point differential between offense and defense.

Note: If a multiple team tie is reduced to a two-team tie at any point using the above criteria, the two-team tie will be resolved in accordance with the existing two-team tie procedure.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MORE THAN TWO TEAMS TIED

1. If applicable, division champions must be determined first.

2. Better winning percentage in all games among the tied teams.

wouldn't it end here? Their record here is better having been the only team to win all three season series amongst the four teams.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they beat us 2-1, they beat the Rockets 2-1 and if they beat the Spurs, they'll own that 3-1. I don't see how they wouldn't get the 3 if all those teams are tied with them.

Apparently in the event of a multiple team tie the head to head records are irrelevant.

I still don't see how we win in this scenario, but as I said the Suns broadcasters were emphatic about this information tonight.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently in the event of a multiple team tie the head to head records are irrelevant.

but isn't that what #2 is above?

I still don't see how we win in this scenario, but as I said the Suns broadcasters were emphatic about this information tonight.

I don't see it either, but I hope they're right. I'd love to get the three and somehow get Houston. What a coup that would be (and something this team really doesn't deserve with the way they've been jekyll and hyding it the last couple weeks, but then again, if that's where they end up, they are what they are).

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Spurs lose (55-27)
Suns win (55-27)
Jazz win (55-27)
Rockets lose (54-28)

Houston falls to 6, Suns own the three-way tiebreaker between Spurs and Utah by virtue of having gone 4-3 against them. Suns 3, Jazz 4, Spurs 5.

Edit: Never mind, that doesn't work either, since the Jazz would be 5-2 in tiebreak. Eh, I gave it a shot.

Next edit: But one intriguing thing about this scenario is that the Jazz rise to 3 and the Suns have HCA over the Spurs in the 4-5 matchup.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spurs win (55-27)
Suns win (55-27)
Utah loses (55-27)
Houston loses (54-28)

Houston falls to 6, Suns own the three-way tiebreaker between Spurs and Utah by virtue of having gone 4-3 against them. Suns 3, Jazz 4, Spurs 5.

houston's not losing to the freaking Clippers. Come on man.

And the above isn't even possible from a record standpoint regarding the Spurs and Jazz. If the Spurs win, they have 56 wins, not 55. And that would leave us tied with Utah alone and on the wrong end of HCA.

Last edited:

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score

It's Gary Bender, he's a little confused about everything.

It's impossible for the Suns to be tied with San Antonio without also being tied with Utah, and you might as well throw Houston in there since they will likely beat the Clippers.

You'll have a four way tie and then the combined head-to-head of all four teams against each other would decide.

Utah would be the #3
Phoenix would be #4
Houston would be #5
San Antonio would be #6.

Houston would have home court against the Suns because they own the tiebreaker against us.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's Gary Bender, he's a little confused about everything.

It's impossible for the Suns to be tied with San Antonio without also being tied with Utah, and you might as well throw Houston in there since they will likely beat the Clippers.

You'll have a four way tie and then the combined head-to-head of all four teams against each other would decide.

Utah would be the #3
Phoenix would be #4
Houston would be #5
San Antonio would be #6.

Houston would have home court against the Suns because they own the tiebreaker against us.

i'd take that. if we were able to take one in Houston, it would be over in 6.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
houston's not losing to the freaking Clippers. Come on man.

Well no, but the question was what's possible, not what's going to happen. Besides, McGrady's back could flare up again.

And the above isn't even possible from a record standpoint regarding the Spurs and Jazz.

Right, I got that game backward before fixing it with my first edit. But never mind, it doesn't work anyway.

young tone

5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!!!
Reaction score
Well its official, my team is eliminated tonight by the Suns :sad:. We really lost it last Thursday but its official now. Great game tonight though, especially the second half. It sucks that my team who wins almost 50 games wont make the playoffs. But it was a great season and this season was much better than our usual "struggle to get to 20 wins" type season we used to have during our playoff drought. Also want to say the Suns are a team I will root for in the playoffs over any team. You're team is fun to watch, so good luck and enjoy the postseason :thumbup:

Go Warriors 2008-09!