US Soccer Vs Guatemala, 3/28

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
HOWARD, ONYEWU AMONG FOUR RELEASED
Rich Fidler for Yanks Abroad Sunday, March 25, 2007

US head coach Bob Bradley has released four players to their respective clubs following the victory over Ecuador on Sunday afternoon in Tampa, Florida.

Fulham's Carlos Bocanegra and Newcastle's Oguchi Onyewu will return their respective clubs in England following a pair of 90 minute appearances in the back, where they allowed a single goal in the 11th minute.

Starting goalkeeper Tim Howard was also released in order to travel back to Liverpool and join his Everton teammates.

With Howard's return to England, it's expected that Borussia Mönchengladbach 'keeper Kasey Keller will start for the Red, White and Blue against Guatemala at Pizza Hut Park in Frisco, Texas on Wednesday evening.

The lone MLS based player to be released was midfielder Brian Carroll, who will immediately join DC United in Guadalajara, Mexico as they prepare for the second leg of the CONCACAF Champions Cup semifinals against Chivas.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
With Bocangera and Onyewu being sent back to their clubs hopefully that opens up 2 spots from among Spector, Demerit and Simek. Demerit and Simek have been called their clubs most consistent performers by their managers in England, that has to mean something.

Its nice to see the young guys get playing time. Guatemala isn't as good a team as Ecuador but they still play a pretty good style of soccer. Bradley can afford to experiment with the lineup.

Whatever happened to the guy from Guatemala that used to post here?

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Johnson --- Donovan
Mapp --- Feilhaber --- Bradley --- Dempsey
Spector --- Conrad --- Demerit --- Simek
Keller

That appears to be the lineup.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Third minute: Johnson has a good look in the box but hits the defender with the shot. He really needed to do something better with it, that's the kind of ball the 2005 version of him probably would have buried.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
0-0 at the Half. Guatemala is basically playing 10 guys back so there's very little room for the US to do anything with the ball (but conversely, Guatemala hasn't even tried to do a thing on offense). This officiating crew isn't very endearing, #8 (Contreras?) would have gotten a yellow in pretty much any league on the planet (or possibly a red) for his little stunt. Simek for the US falls on the ball, ref blows the whistle, and #8 then proceeds to kick the ball as hard as he can three times directly into the stomach of Simek. Disgraceful. Ruiz flopping like a fish literally a half dozen times doesn't look particularly good, either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I can't watch the game and have to follow it on the US Soccer Matchtracker. Thanks for the updates.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the game is mercifully over. 0-0 draw. For a friendly it isn't necessarily a bad result, but a bit of a disappointment nonetheless. Eddie Johnson had the majority of the dangerous looks tonight so its hard to harp very much on his play. If he can play just a little bit better he'll score one, and I think that may be all he needs to get things rolling. Mapp played decently and had a couple of good runs with the ball. Dempsey was invisible for most of the night, yet again. Feilhaber and Bradley did well for their experience level, they've got a bright future with the MNT even though neither can really be considered a ball winner type. Kenny Cooper didn't show very much, but with that 6'3 frame of his you know the US is going to give him ample opportunities to show if he can solve our forward problem.

The defense looked more cohesive tonight than it did on Sunday, but its easy to look good when your opponent doesn't even attempt to go on the attack. Still, they managed to snuff out most chances quickly. Having a general like Keller back there certainly helps with a younger back four like we had tonight. Guatemala's approach was very tedious but they got the result they wanted. The USMNT is going to have to play a ton of games like this against talent devoid squads during WC qualifying so they might as well get accustomed to it now. The US is going to need to learn how to bunker bust and they obviously weren't able to do it tonight.

All in all a bit of a disappointment especially after the results against Mexico and Ecuador, but I'll take a 3-0-1 record for the US team against the kind of competition we played.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the US doesn't play again until June against China and then its on to the Gold Cup.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for the US to develop a World Class striker. If we can do it at MF, Defense, GK--why on earth can't we do it up top?

I watched the U20's play today against the senior Haitian National Team(webcast) and it looks like more of the same at that level, lots of decent midfielders, solid defenders and potential at striker but nobody really that "wows" anyone. Although I really like Gabriel Ferrari, he has good size and at 19 he is getting good training in Serie A. Josmer Altidore also has some potential too but neither player really made that one spectacular move that most great strikers do at least once a game.

Where is our Henry, Shevchenko, Owen(when healthy), Rooney, Klose etc? The guy who has one purpose, to make attacking runs at defenses and even when they aren't scoring making GKs nervous just being there.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Twellman had the flu which is why he didn't get the start, too bad. Pearce has some sort of foot injury, I was really looking forward to seeing him play based off of what I have heard about him.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for the US to develop a World Class striker. If we can do it at MF, Defense, GK--why on earth can't we do it up top?

I watched the U20's play today against the senior Haitian National Team(webcast) and it looks like more of the same at that level, lots of decent midfielders, solid defenders and potential at striker but nobody really that "wows" anyone. Although I really like Gabriel Ferrari, he has good size and at 19 he is getting good training in Serie A. Josmer Altidore also has some potential too but neither player really made that one spectacular move that most great strikers do at least once a game.

Where is our Henry, Shevchenko, Owen(when healthy), Rooney, Klose etc? The guy who has one purpose, to make attacking runs at defenses and even when they aren't scoring making GKs nervous just being there.
Where do you go for US webcasts?

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Where do you go for US webcasts?

They just started doing the webcasts at USSoccer.com, they did the U17's versus El Salvador U17's on Sunday before the National Team played, today they did the U20's versus Haiti.

They won't do the full national team matches if they are going to be on TV.

Gorilla

Booooya!!!
Reaction score
Hey guys.... soccer here in Guatemala is on a drop....don't get me wrong, it still is the most popular sport, but after years of believing in the National team and not acomplishing anything, people just don't believe in it anymore. The game wasn't televised in the country so I can't comment too much on it.

We have a new coach in "Bolillo" Gomez, he has some international recognition and the team is starting to show some (very little but still) progress. We all know that the US and Mexico are the class of Concacaf and every positive result we can get against them is a positive one. From what I have seen from this National team, most games against Guatemala will finish with very low scores. I am thinking something in the lines of a Paraguay team from 98 (in a low scale).

We play you guys in the Gold Cup so will see how that turn out.....

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
We play you guys in the Gold Cup so will see how that turn out.....

If you play defense like you did in this recent friendly I expect about the same. The US does not have the experience or talent to break down a team that packs it in.

Tactically the US is set up to take advantage by counterattack but when a team packs it in and does attack there will be no counterattack to be had. It'lll be interesting to see if Bradley (if he is even still coach) can make adjustments when playing teams like that.

A truly gifted striker can wreak havoc on that type of tactic but so far the US doesn't seem to have that.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Playing our starters on defense will help spread the attack and break down the bunkerballers. I don't know how many times Simek randomly lobbed the ball down the field in the Guatemala game. When you've got five guys compared to their ten on that side of the field, blindly launching the ball into a crowd and hoping for the best isn't the greatest tactic.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
What world class MF, DF or GK did you have, ever?

Friedel & Howard are both former EPL Goalkeepers of the year. Keller has started in England, Germany and Spain since he was like 22 yrs old.

Oguchi Onyewu was one of the most sought after Defenders during the past transfer period with offers from Marseilles, Real Madrid and Chelsea, he ended up at NewCastle.

Claudio Reyna in his prime(when healthy) was considered world class, especially when he played for Rangers.

Bocanegra & Cherundolo wouldn't be starting in 2 of the top leagues in the world if they weren't both considered world class. Managers rave about the defensive skills of the US players but you never hear them say anything about their attacking skill. Thats just something that has to be fixed.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Friedel & Howard are both former EPL Goalkeepers of the year. Keller has started in England, Germany and Spain since he was like 22 yrs old.

Oguchi Onyewu was one of the most sought after Defenders during the past transfer period with offers from Marseilles, Real Madrid and Chelsea, he ended up at NewCastle.

Claudio Reyna in his prime(when healthy) was considered world class, especially when he played for Rangers.

Bocanegra & Cherundolo wouldn't be starting in 2 of the top leagues in the world if they weren't both considered world class. Managers rave about the defensive skills of the US players but you never hear them say anything about their attacking skill. Thats just something that has to be fixed.
Hey, slinslin?

You must be registered for see images

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

God no.

World Class is something entirely different and none of these player are/were even close to being world class.

All of them are just good players on average teams, PERIOD. That's barely international class at the maximum.

None of them has played championsleague really and especially not been a star in the championsleague.

Last edited:

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When did playing in the UEFA Champions League become a requirement to be a high quality player?

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
God no.

World Class is something entirely different and none of these player are/were even close to being world class.

All of them are just good players on average teams, PERIOD. That's barely international class at the maximum.

None of them has played championsleague really and especially not been a star in the championsleague.

If you are a consistent starer on teams that are in the top leagues in the world you are world class, if you start in England, Germany, Italy or Spain year after year you are a world class player or you will be replaced by someone who is. Starting in leagues in Denmark, Mexico, MLS, Norway etc doesn't count but if you make an impact on the worlds top leagues you are rightfully considered world class. Did I say World Players of the Year candidates? No. Did I say best in their respective leagues? No. I said World Class.

Howard started for Man U in the Champions League a couple of seasons back. Claudio Reyna also was a starter for Rangers when they competed in the Champions League. Just last year Damarcus Beasley started in the Champions League and scored in the quarter finals. Even Landon Donovan started a couple of Champions League games versus Liverpool(he didn't play well but these are YOUR standards not mine).

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Howard was amazingly bad on ManU also. I am telling you, you mention to any knowledgable soccer fan that Cherundulo for example is world class, they will laugh in your face. Those guys are role players, none of them would make it as a reserve of the top national teams either except maybe Onyewu, who is a Nigerian product anyway.

Last edited: