US Soccer Call Ups for March Friendlies

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The US has 2 games later this month 25th against Ecuador and 28th against Guatemala. Bradley has called in a much stronger group than the games versus Denmark and Mexico.

CHICAGO (AP) -- Goalkeeper Kasey Keller, midfielder DaMarcus Beasley and defender Oguchi Onyewu were among 11 World Cup veterans picked Thursday for the U.S. roster for exhibition games against Ecuador and Guatemala.

Defenders Carlos Bocanegra, Steve Cherundolo and Jimmy Conrad also were selected by interim coach Bob Bradley for his 24-man roster along with midfielder Clint Dempsey, forwards Landon Donovan, Brian Ching and Eddie Johnson, and goalkeeper Tim Howard.

Three players were chosen who have never played for the national team: defenders Jay DeMerit and Frank Simek, and midfielder Benny Feilhaber.

Thirteen of the players are based in Europe, including seven in England.

Players will start training Monday in Bradenton, Fla., for games against Ecuador on March 25 in Tampa, Fla., and Guatemala on March 28 in Frisco, Texas. Top European leagues are off the weekend of March 24-25 to enable players to join up with their national teams.

The United States has played just twice since last year's World Cup: a 3-1 win over Denmark on Jan. 20 and a 2-0 victory over Mexico on Feb. 7. Howard, Bocanegra and Dempsey also returned from Europe for the Mexico match.

"This camp provides a great opportunity to see some of our experienced players from Europe, as well as some new faces, and incorporate them into the group and share the ideas that we have been building on since the beginning of the year," Bradley said. "By the end of this camp, we will have had the chance to work with a vast majority of our player pool. It will be extremely beneficial when we have to make decisions about the Gold Cup and Copa America."

After these games, the national team is off until a June 2 exhibition game against China at San Jose, Calif. The Americans then start the CONCACAF Gold Cup, the championship of North and Central America and the Caribbean, on June 9 against Trinidad and Tobago at Carson, Calif.

The roster:

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Tim Howard (Everton, England), Kasey Keller (Borussia Moenchengladbach, Germany)

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham, England), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover, Germany), Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City), Jay Demerit (Watford, England), Oguchi Onyewu (Newcastle, England), Heath Pearce (Nordsjaelland, Denmark), Frank Simek (Sheffield Wednesday, England), Jonathan Spector (West Ham, England)

Midfielders: DaMarcus Beasley (Manchester City, England), Michael Bradley (Heerenveen, Netherlands), Brian Carroll (D.C. United), Ricardo Clark (Houston), Clint Dempsey (Fulham, England), Benny Feilhaber (Hamburg, Germany), Justin Mapp (Chicago)

Forwards: Brian Ching (Houston), Kenny Cooper (Dallas), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles), Eddie Johnson (Kansas City), Chris Rolfe (Chicago), Taylor Twellman (New England)

Good to see players like Pearce, Demerit, Feilhaber, Simek and Bradley get call ups.

But there has to be someone better than Rolfe who for some reason continues to get call ups. Like maybe Freddy Adu (like we really need 6 Forwards).

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Are they giving up on Freddie Adu? How about getting his some strides on the field with the team?

I don't think they are giving up on him, he is the captain of the U20's, but it would be nice to give him some time with the senior team. I've seen enough of Rolfe to know he does not have what it takes to be an international. It wouldn't hurt to call in a teenager or 2 just for the experience in camp.

Speaking of the U20's...they play the U20 World Cup in Canada this summer with South Korea, Brazil & Poland in their group. I'm hoping to make the trip to Montreal to see the Korea & Poland game.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like Bornstein has a knee injury, I was wondering why he wasn't on the list. I had thought Kasey Keller was retired from international play, but apparently not. Wouldn't it be a better idea to let some other GK get some experience, it isn't like Keller will be around in 2008? And lastly, chalk up another one for those who would like to see Adu capped in favor of Rolfe.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Looks like Bornstein has a knee injury, I was wondering why he wasn't on the list. I had thought Kasey Keller was retired from international play, but apparently not. Wouldn't it be a better idea to let some other GK get some experience, it isn't like Keller will be around in 2008? And lastly, chalk up another one for those who would like to see Adu capped in favor of Rolfe.

Pearce is the better choice at left back than Bornstein, I'm really hoping Bradley's homerism for Bornstein(he played for him at Chivas) doesn't cloud his judgement. Not to mention Bocangera best position other than centerback is left back--Boca should be the choice over Conrad next to Onyewu but homersim may come in to play there too.

Keller wants to be on the team in 2010, he'd be 40 years old!! I'm all for Howard, Guzan and Perkins getting reps before him. Time to let it go.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Pearce is the better choice at left back than Bornstein, I'm really hoping Bradley's homerism for Bornstein(he played for him at Chivas) doesn't cloud his judgement. Not to mention Bocangera best position other than centerback is left back--Boca should be the choice over Conrad next to Onyewu but homersim may come in to play there too.

Keller wants to be on the team in 2010, he'd be 40 years old!! I'm all for Howard, Guzan and Perkins getting reps before him. Time to let it go.

Agree on Keller, thought that Howard had an excellent game against Mexico. Bornstein was one of the more impressive guys in the Mexico game as well, I would definitely like to see more of him. Maybe that will happen during the Gold Cup, but probably more during the Copa America. (disappointingly)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't think they are giving up on him, he is the captain of the U20's, but it would be nice to give him some time with the senior team. I've seen enough of Rolfe to know he does not have what it takes to be an international. It wouldn't hurt to call in a teenager or 2 just for the experience in camp.

Speaking of the U20's...they play the U20 World Cup in Canada this summer with South Korea, Brazil & Poland in their group. I'm hoping to make the trip to Montreal to see the Korea & Poland game.

They'd better get him a cap so that he doesn't get antsy and bolt for another country. Wasn't it Ghana that he could go play for?

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
They'd better get him a cap so that he doesn't get antsy and bolt for another country. Wasn't it Ghana that he could go play for?

Yeah, Adu was born in Ghana so he could play for them if he really wanted. At this point I don't see it happening but like you said he could get antsy.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Roster Changes...

BRADENTON, Fla. (AP) -- Houston Dynamo defender Wade Barrett and midfielder Brian Mullen were added Monday to the U.S. roster for exhibition games against Ecuador and Guatemala.

The pair replace Dynamo midfielder Ricardo Clark, who sprained a knee ligament last week in a CONCACAF Champions Cup game against Pachuca, and Chicago Fire forward Chris Rolfe, who has a sprained knee.

Nothing exciting there, although I really have liked the play of Clark so far.

Calling in Barrett at 30 yrs old with 1 cap total is kinda strange. He's not going to be a part of the team in 2010. Why not call in a younger guy? maybe one of the U20's or U23's? Full international experience would benefit those guys greatly especially when a few of them have a chance to be on the WC 2010 team.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't wait for next week to roll around, I'm excited for these games.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Are they giving up on Freddie Adu? How about getting his some strides on the field with the team?

More info on Adu. It seems like there is a U20 camp going on right now, they have a big tournament this summer so I can see why they wouldn't want to pull him away (since he is the captain and all)...

United States Under-20 National Team coach Thomas Rongen has called up 16 players for the team's upcoming training camp in Frisco, Texas, including Sampdoria striker Gabriel Ferrari.

The camp will run from March 22nd through the 29th, with a friendly opponent still to be determined.

Rongen is preparating for the U-20 World Cup, to be held north of the border in Canada this summer.

Ferrari of Serie A's Sampdoria will take part in his first youth National Team camp under the former Chivas USA and DC United head coach.

Major League Soccer veterans on the squad includes a trio from the Columbus Crew: attacker Robbie Rogers, midfielder Danny Szetela and defender Tim Ward.

Real Salt Lake's Freddy Adu and the Galaxy's Quavas Kirk will also bring their MLS experience to camp.

University of South Florida's Diego Restrepo, Santa Clara's Jalil Anibaba, Indiana's Ofori Sarkodie and the UCLA tandem of Tony Beltran and Sal Zizzo are the only players in camp without any professional experience.

Anibaba recently signed his letter of intent to player his collegiate ball for the Broncos after finishing an outstanding career at Davis Senior High School in California.

US U-20 camp roster

Goalkeepers

Restrepo, Diego University of South Florida
Seitz, Chris Real Salt Lake (USA)

Defenders

Davies, Kyle Southampton FC (England)
Igwe, Amaechi New England Revolution (USA)
Kirk, Quavas LA Galaxy (USA)
Sarkodie, Ofori Indiana University
Ward, Tim Columbus Crew (USA)

Midfielders

Adu, Freddy Real Salt Lake (USA)
Anibaba, Jalil Santa Clara University
Beltran, Tony UCLA (USA)
Szetela, Danny Columbus Crew (USA)
Wallace, Anthony FC Dallas (USA)

Forwards

Altidore, Josmer NY Red Bulls (USA)
Ferrari, Gabriel Sampdoria (Italy)