Yao suffers career ending injury?? Wow.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This might also explain the Rockets sudden interest in Amare. You can't replace Yao Ming. So what other big men are there that are available that will have any impact on your team. Having said that, I still don't want T-Mac. I would take Artest long before T-Mac.

I am not sure I buy he is done for career though. There is no way they don't try another repair job on the foot and go again. I just don't see that happening.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If Amare would move back to center he could start for the All Star team.

I disagree that Amare shouldn't play center. IMO he creates more problems for the opponent than he causes for the Suns. All he needs is a monster PF to play with. A guy that doesn't have to score but can defend opponents low post threats and rebound.

If the Suns keep Amare I predict an obscene amount of Amare/Nash pick and roll.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I disagree that Amare shouldn't play center. IMO he creates more problems for the opponent than he causes for the Suns. All he needs is a monster PF to play with. A guy that doesn't have to score but can defend opponents low post threats and rebound.

Like who for example? Viable options.....and please don't name a bunch of SF's :)

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

We must be watching 2 different players at Center because I had seen an Amare who sucked at defense in the post when it counted and also had trouble scoring against true centers on offense. The Suns also lived and died on the boards by how he played that night. When he failed to show up for games in that department the Suns were killed on the boards. Does not sound like an All-star center on an All-star team to me.

Amare always had good games at center against the stiff centers in the NBA but always struggled against true centers. Sorry, been there done that and don't want to see it again. I can guarantee any team playing Amare as their primary center will never win a title.

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
We must be watching 2 different players at Center because I had seen an Amare who sucked at defense in the post when it counted and also had trouble scoring against true centers on offense. The Suns also lived and died on the boards by how he played that night. When he failed to show up for games in that department the Suns were killed on the boards. Does not sound like an All-star center on an All-star team to me.

Amare always had good games at center against the stiff centers in the NBA but always struggled against true centers. Sorry, been there done that and don't want to see it again. I can guarantee any team playing Amare as their primary center will never win a title.

Amare put up his best numbers playing center. Amare didn't play center when Shaq was here and before that Marion had to play PF. The closest thing we ever had to what I'm talking about was the first year K. Thomas was here but D'Antoni always wanted Marion playing the 4.

If GS gets him they're gonna play him at center.

Also I don't see the Suns competing for a title. I'm just thinking about the best way to play with what they've got. Beats the hell out of Sideshow Rob.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score

Maybe we should try and define what a "true center" is because I also thought Amare was a better Center then a Forward. Who in the league would Amare struggle to score against? Shaq who he only sees twice a year? Yao Ming who might not play again? Andrew Bynum who fouls out in the first 2 min of the game? Eric Dampeir who just sucks?

I don't think Amare is a bad idea for a Center. It's not like he rebounds and plays hustle defense at any position and the league is a lot thinner at Center then at PF. Look how many good PF's there are in the league, especially in the west. You put Amare at Center and he's not going against a good player night in night out.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Position is kind of irrelevant anyway it's match ups that really matter. Amare matches up better offensively against slow centers than he does against quick PFs.

Come to think of it, it was probably Marion's presence that forced opposing centers to guard Amare. If our PF isn't relevant on offense then the opposing team can guard Amare with their PF or center.

The closest thing the Suns can put on the floor that resembles the SSOL Amare at center team is to put Clark at PF. Again, I'm not saying that this makes the Suns a contender but it might be the best way to get the most out of the current roster.

If the Suns don't make any more significant moves you know Amare will be playing a lot of center.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Come to think of it, it was probably Marion's presence that forced opposing centers to guard Amare. If our PF isn't relevant on offense then the opposing team can guard Amare with their PF or center.

Excellent point. I think you're dead on with this one.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys obviously have not looked at Amare's #'s on the defensive side of the ball. His defense falls off the face of the planet when at center. I guess if you don't care about winning a title and want to keep playing this small ball crap, I could see you wanting him there at center. I think we have just been there and done that. It doesn't work so there is no point IMO. It's time to move on or put a deep defensive team around the guy.

P.S. Amare hates playing center and I for one would rather have a motivated Amare playing the position he wants the forcing him to play center which he bitched about constantly until Shaq got here.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I guess if you don't care about winning a title

This team isn't winning a title! Get over it! Is there no difference to you between 50 wins and 30? It's still worth trying to be decent.

Amare hates playing center and I for one would rather have a motivated Amare playing the position he wants the forcing him to play center which he bitched about constantly until Shaq got here.

He didn't stop bitching once he got moved back to PF, did he? Stoudemire always *******. All that changes is the reason he feels like giving.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team isn't winning a title! Get over it! Is there no difference to you between 50 wins and 30? It's still worth trying to be decent.

Not if your season is done before you start. What is the point? I agree this team can't win a title as is. That's why they need to blow it up. 39 years of "fun" is enough for some fans.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not if your season is done before you start. What is the point? I agree this team can't win a title as is. That's why they need to blow it up. 39 years of "fun" is enough for some fans.

But its better than being the Clippers