X-Files Fans

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Twice I've got as far as owning the first four seasons, only to sell them off because I'd get discouraged or complacent about buying the rest. I paid $120 a pop the first time and $99 the second time. I should've just waited for this sucker because I knew it had to be in production at some point.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These shows were recently on sale at BB for 19.99 a piece, and the $10 off coupon that I posted here worked, so you could have gotten each season for $10 a season.

There is no way that I would double dip for these, with a MSRP so high.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You should see the price point for Star Trek: The Original Series Ultimate Collection. That's what--3 seasons? And it's more expensive than the X-Files.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should see the price point for Star Trek: The Original Series Ultimate Collection. That's what--3 seasons? And it's more expensive than the X-Files.

Indeed. For that price you'd think Scotty could've afforded to keep some extra dylithium crystals in stock aboard the Enterprise.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may an idiot, but did they ever film the X-files in a way that lets it become wide screen or at least high-def so it doesn't look like crap?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may an idiot, but did they ever film the X-files in a way that lets it become wide screen or at least high-def so it doesn't look like crap?

:confused:

I always felt X-Files was the best looking show on TV. Had it's own lighting style and everything that I now see being ripped off by a lot of young directors.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:confused:

I always felt X-Files was the best looking show on TV. Had it's own lighting style and everything that I now see being ripped off by a lot of young directors.

I meant, so it doesn't look like crap on my HD TV.

I can pop in a DVD of old TV series and they just don't look so great. Obviously, anything you watch on an HD TV that ISN'T HD never looks great. But DVD's seem to be okay sometimes...but not old TV shows from what I can see.

Would just be nice if there was someway they had the X-Files filmed in a great resolution or in letterbox that would transform well onto an HD format.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

They started filming widescreen in Season 3 or 4 I believe. X-Files ended well before they could film it in high-def. The series was shot on film with some digital (video) shots thrown in for special effects scenes and shots of a lot of motion (like cars driving in rain). What you have a problem with is the transfer on the DVD, not the way the series was filmed.

Fox has not released any Blu-Ray stuff yet, but I'm sure X-Files will be one of their first TV titles on the format (they aren't supporting HD-DVD).

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I meant, so it doesn't look like crap on my HD TV.

I can pop in a DVD of old TV series and they just don't look so great. Obviously, anything you watch on an HD TV that ISN'T HD never looks great. But DVD's seem to be okay sometimes...but not old TV shows from what I can see.

Would just be nice if there was someway they had the X-Files filmed in a great resolution or in letterbox that would transform well onto an HD format.

The later seasons are all in anamorphic widescreen, so they won't stretch on your 16:9 television. But you're going to have to deal with the transfers--it's the way the show was filmed, and if you have the original releases (the fold out packs), their compression was not nearly as good as they have now. Your HD TV has to upconvert to show it, and the differences between HD and SD will be really apparent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard