Wk 1 Arizona Cardinals @ Tennessee Titans Pre Game thread Sept 6 - Sept 11, 2021

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I expect a shootout.... Titans defense sucked last season and a rookie corner and a middling Bud Dupree isn’t going to change that much.
But they haven’t even decided on their starters across the oline which means Tannehil is likely to have a long day. They stacked up on offense for a coordinator that can’t get the ball in the end zone. We have two fast young backers for Henry... you don’t have to take down a big back just get to him quick and hold on until help gets there...... remember Malcolm butler was their best corner.... and he just retired because he couldn’t get on the field with us.
This game comes down to the trenches and our dogs are better than theirs on both sides.

if we lose this game it will be due to poor coaching and game planning.... getting the Titans in week 1 was a gift.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I expect a shootout.... Titans defense sucked last season and a rookie corner and a middling Bud Dupree isn’t going to change that much.
But they haven’t even decided on their starters across the oline which means Tannehil is likely to have a long day. They stacked up on offense for a coordinator that can’t get the ball in the end zone. We have two fast young backers for Henry... you don’t have to take down a big back just get to him quick and hold on until help gets there...... remember Malcolm butler was their best corner.... and he just retired because he couldn’t get on the field with us.
This game comes down to the trenches and our dogs are better than theirs on both sides.

if we lose this game it will be due to poor coaching and game planning.... getting the Titans in week 1 was a gift.
I expect a sloppy low scoring game. It's the first game of the season with not much pad hitting allowed now to prepare. I just hope Kliff puts the foot down and gets aggressive late in the game... yes, it will come down to coaching and I hope our vets can take up the slack :newcards:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
remember Malcolm butler was their best corner
Dubiously, at best. They released him. He was the "most efficient" at giving up the most yardage, targets, and receptions in the league. The only arguments people have are PFF grades, and that he only gave up an 80 passer rating or whatever, but at the end of the day, no one was afraid to throw at him. And it appears we saw that he was cooked enough to be replaced on the depth chart by a 4th round rookie.

getting the Titans in week 1 was a gift.
Wild. The 4th best offense in the league (separated by one point for third) in 2020, at home, with Julio Jones, where we have to travel across the country, and start early is "a gift."

No, the Titans aren't world beaters on defense, but they can hold us off.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People worried about starting a 4th rounder forget that P2 wasn't good his first year either. Hard to be much worse.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dubiously, at best. They released him. He was the "most efficient" at giving up the most yardage, targets, and receptions in the league. The only arguments people have are PFF grades, and that he only gave up an 80 passer rating or whatever, but at the end of the day, no one was afraid to throw at him. And it appears we saw that he was cooked enough to be replaced on the depth chart by a 4th round rookie.

Wild. The 4th best offense in the league (separated by one point for third) in 2020, at home, with Julio Jones, where we have to travel across the country, and start early is "a gift."

That awesome Titans offense only just beat the Drew Lock led Denver Broncos 16-14 in their opening game last season. The Broncos finished 5-11.

In game 2 they only just beat the 1-15 Jags by a field goal with 1:41 remaining to win 33-30 at home.

In game 3 they beat the 7-9 Vikings 31-30, again with a field goal with 1:48 remaining.

Then they had a bye in week 4 and were better after that. Yes, they won their first 3 games against poor teams, but by a margin of 6 total points.

The year before they started the season 2-4. So the Titans have not been good starters to the season.

Would you have predicted and of those scores starting last year? So don;t be so sure of the outcome.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's underrated how much more we will use a nickel linebacker this year too rather than a corner.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Last year Tennessee didn't have Julio Jones, and their QB is more experienced. What are the odds/points on this game? LasVegas are usually right on.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Last year Tennessee didn't have Julio Jones, and their QB is more experienced. What are the odds/points on this game? LasVegas are usually right on.

No they didn't have Julio Jones, but they did have Corey Davis and his 1000 yards.

It's not like they are just adding Julio which means they get 1200+ extra yards. They replaced 1000 yards with 1371 yards if Julio stays at the same YPG rate as he did last year (although it's dropped 3 years in a row so it's unlikely).

For all the "They got Julio" hype that equates to about 25 extra yards per game. Which isn't nothing but it's not like they have 100 yards a game more now.

And they lost Jonnu Smith and didn't replace him at all, so overall I'd say it's about the same.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
People worried about starting a 4th rounder forget that P2 wasn't good his first year either. Hard to be much worse.

Remember that game though? Kevin Kolb throwing dimes all over the field, Beanie Wells trucking folks, Kerry Rhodes sacking Cam Newton - it was wild. To me that was a "what could've been" moment for that team.

Here's the recap just for memories' sake:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Remember that game though? Kevin Kolb throwing dimes all over the field, Beanie Wells trucking folks, Kerry Rhodes sacking Cam Newton - it was wild. To me that was a "what could've been" moment for that team.

Here's the recap just for memories' sake:

What's amazing watching that is how little things have changed. Some good football plus a lot of mistakes, terrible on 3rd down defense, poor penalties, bad kicking and red zone failures.

Change the names on the shirts and it looks like most Cardinal teams the last 4 years. The only difference was there were several passes to TE in this game which you rarely see now. Oh and a ST's score, rarely see them now too.

(Also a BS RTP call against us too)

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I was at that Carolina game in 2011. Wonder what Beanie Wells's career would be like without all of the injuries, including in college.

D-Wash also had a good game. Dude smoked away his career.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm really not that sold on the Titan's. In a lot of ways I think our roster is better. Certainly know worse. Sadly coaching is another story.

I think there could be some OBJ syndrome there. There's only one ball and either Julio, Brown or Henry are going to see less of it. And I think Tannehill is going to have a down year.
Lol. Okay. They’re skill players are clearly better as a group than ours. And you just have a feeling tannehill is going to have a down year? Okay.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Darksiders on here, I think they don't look at the overall rosters.

I went through the Rams roster and outside of Donald and Ramsey, they have a lot of JAGs. Look at the Rams LB corps, it's awful.
The koolaiders on here, I don’t think they view the entirety and history. Like coaches. And past records of the teams. And injuries. All that seems to escape your notice.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The koolaiders on here, I don’t think they view the entirety and history. Like coaches. And past records of the teams. And injuries. All that seems to escape your notice.
Feeling attacked or something?

I think the Rams will have a winning season because McVay is a good coach and Donald and Ramsey will hold that defense together. Their offense will be good. But I think they have quite a few holes. Look at their LB Corps....probably only Leonard Floyd would start for any of the teams in the NFC West. They let go quite a few good players and are replacing them with questionable players. I will give them the benefit of the doubt, but how long can they keep this up (replacing known players with questionable ones)?

There is a clear path for the Rams to not be as good as last year that doesn't even factor injuries. Just on talent alone.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I look at the full rosters. (Also, I keep hearing JAGs, can someone tell me what that stands for?) The Rams roster also has a very competent QB, and two very solid WRs in Woods and Kupp. Their RB corps is better than ours, and that's with Akers out for the season. And the coaching is competent.

Others here overrate our roster, which has a dearth of proven, blue chip talent. Even some of our stars are stuck with question marks and ifs. It's really just Hopkins and Baker at the end of the day... maybe Kyler.

I don't think our roster is atrocious, it's pretty good this year and would win a lot of other divisions. Unfortunately, it's not sustainable. And I don't think it's built to go far. We'll see. Let's hope I'm wrong. I'll be there to watch all 17 games either way.
Right. Our roster isn’t terribke. Lord knows we’ve had a lot worse. If health works out we could make playoffs. A key injury to an oft injured player or two or three and kk’s old coaching gaffs and we’re at 6 wins. Ultimately I think we are just a solidly .500 squad. Could be an ugly Jeff Fisher like loop unless we really unexpectedly hit on a star (like our ILBs end up total studs and Rondale ends up a pro bowl receiver).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Feeling attacked or something?

I think the Rams will have a winning season because McVay is a good coach and Donald and Ramsey will hold that defense together. Their offense will be good. But I think they have quite a few holes. Look at their LB Corps....probably only Leonard Floyd would start for any of the teams in the NFC West. They let go quite a few good players and are replacing them with questionable players. I will give them the benefit of the doubt, but how long can they keep this up (replacing known players with questionable ones)?

There is a clear path for the Rams to not be as good as last year that doesn't even factor injuries. Just on talent alone.
Agreed. But they’ve shown with the current regime the ability to make major changes on the fly and remain playoff relevant pretty consistently. Until proven otherwise, they’re just better than we are.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No they didn't have Julio Jones, but they did have Corey Davis and his 1000 yards.

It's not like they are just adding Julio which means they get 1200+ extra yards. They replaced 1000 yards with 1371 yards if Julio stays at the same YPG rate as he did last year (although it's dropped 3 years in a row so it's unlikely).

For all the "They got Julio" hype that equates to about 25 extra yards per game. Which isn't nothing but it's not like they have 100 yards a game more now.

And they lost Jonnu Smith and didn't replace him at all, so overall I'd say it's about the same.
Firkser played well in Jonnu’s absence. I don’t think he’s the same caliber, but he’s a real TE.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They also act like the darksiders are the exception to the rule for what general consensus is for the Rams this year... even though the Rams have the fifth best odds in the league to win the Super Bowl.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for the game, I have no clue what to expect, but a road win in an early east coast game, against a playoff team with weapons galore on offense would definitely surprise me.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Actually, it's a scheduling gift to get any good team early opposed to later when they're operating on all cylinders

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson