Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Raimi's Wizard's First Rule Cleared
Source: Variety
March 17, 2008

According to Variety, Sam Raimi's syndicated original "Wizard's First Rule" is set to premiere in all of the top 50 markets in the US.

The ABC/Disney show, based on the "Sword of Truth" books by Terry Goodkind, is greenlit for 22 episodes and will begin production in May.

The weekly hourlong action/fantasy series follows Richard Cypher, a young man who makes his living leading people through dangerous forests, as he investigates the murder of his father and finds himself opposing Darken Rahl, the son of an evil wizard.

Goodkind's popular novels, first published in the mid-nineties, span 11 volumes so far.

"Wizard's First Rule" will be shot in HD.

_____________________________________________-

Anyone read the books?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I've read the books--they are very similar to Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time books, except Goodkind's are more rooted in philosophy, and actually are a lot more gory. There are some pretty disturbing deaths in them.

Wizard's First Rule was the title of the first book in the series.

The 11th book was the last of the series, so that's strange that they put a "so far" at the end of that sentence.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read the books--they are very similar to Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time books, except Goodkind's are more rooted in philosophy, and actually are a lot more gory. There are some pretty disturbing deaths in them.

Wizard's First Rule was the title of the first book in the series.

The 11th book was the last of the series, so that's strange that they put a "so far" at the end of that sentence.

From wikipedia:

Thus far, it consists of eleven novels and one novella. According to Goodkind, Confessor brings the current story arc to its final conclusion. Although the current story arc will conclude, Goodkind states that he does not plan on ending the series entirely, as he expects to continue writing other stories that will take place in the Sword of Truth universe.

Info about the novella: Goodkind wrote a short story titled Debt of Bones for the 1998 anthology Legends, edited by Robert Silverberg. The story takes place in the Sword of Truth universe and is set a few decades before the events in the main series. In 2001, the story was published as a stand-alone novella.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Very cool! I read some of these a loooong time ago, and need to go back and start over. I love that they're talking about a new fantasy TV series!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just re-read the description. For some reason I was under the impression it was in modern times...but now I see it's probably in the middle-ages? Not as much like Dresden, then.

But that show is still missed...at least by me and Portland. And that's all that really matters.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Definitely a middle ages-type realm. My fear (as it is with ANY fantasy-type television series) is that they will try to "update" it with American accents and modern slang. I HATE HATE HATE that. We don't need another Xena. Unfortunately, this sounds like their syndication plan is to mirror what was done for Hercules and Xena. And the fact that it's being produced by Disney makes me even more leery.

As for BIM's wikipedia reference--the current storyline and characters is over--if he does more stuff in the world, it will likely be without the characters that have endured for 11 books, and thus probably having nothing to do with this television series.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From The Holywood Reporter:

Craig Horner ("Blue Water High") and Bridget Regan will star in Sam Raimi's syndicated series "Wizard's First Rule.

Horner will star as woodsman Richard Cypher, who transforms into a magical leader and joins with a mysterious woman named Kahlan (Regan) to stop a bloodthirsty, sinister tyrant.

Production on the 22 episodes begins this month in New Zealand.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard