Windows networking

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I had my three computers set up forever ago on my little network using a WOrkgroup name.

They all had computer names from Seinfeld, and I could easily repote desktop to each one by typing in "Kramer" in the RD screen and get to it.

Suddenly, my main computer can't see the other guys ont he network, can't ping them, and can't be remote desktop-ed to...

I've rerunt he network setup wizard but it's still not finding them.

I'd think something happened with some Windows update possibly, but I'm not sure. Any idea?

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried to ping just IP addresses, and it can see those...and so I can remote desktop via that.

But the names aren't resolving like they used to.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Don't use the wizard. Go to "my Computer" properties, re-join the network. Then go to users and groups and make sure it's set up right.

Is the computer working fine?

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SirStefan32 said:
Don't use the wizard. Go to "my Computer" properties, re-join the network. Then go to users and groups and make sure it's set up right.

Is the computer working fine?

Well, rejoin is used mostly for domain servers...i think.

What do you mean users and groups? How would that affect anything?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Oh wait, is this computer a member of a workgroup or is it a server in a clint/ server environment?

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SirStefan32 said:
Oh wait, is this computer a member of a workgroup or is it a server in a clint/ server environment?

Member of a workgroup.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Right click my computer, go to properties, and click on "computer name" tab.

It should tell you what workgroup you computer is a member of. Try rejoining the workgroup.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
I tried to ping just IP addresses, and it can see those...and so I can remote desktop via that.

But the names aren't resolving like they used to.

THAT is what's confusing me. :confused:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
DNS resolves the host names to IP addresses. Are you dynamically obtaining DNS on all machines?

Djaughe

Reaction score
Client for Microsoft networks (probably installed by the network wizard) and Printer and File sharing should both be installed. To check right click and choose properties on the My Network Places icon, then right click and choose properties on the network connection.

Both components should be in the list. Once these software components are installed it may take a little while for the other PC to show up.

*plagiarist*

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
DNS resolves the host names to IP addresses. Are you dynamically obtaining DNS on all machines?

Hmmm, I don't know.

I give each computer a Name and a Workgroup=Seinfeld

Then I run the Windows Networking Wizard on each one, and then it all seemed fine.

It's been okay for about a year...but just recently, this Kramer one stopped working.

On the other computers, if I browse the network, I can see Seinfeld > and the computers on it. Even the computer that I'm using to browse it.

But on Kramer, I can see Seinfeld, as a group, but nothing underneath it, not even Kramer. WHich is odd.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
bratwurst said:
Did you just update to sp2 and now have the firewall turned on?

ohhhhh good question.... The firewall automatically enables itself when you install sp2

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
All your computers are on the same subnet correct? IE, are they all connected into the same router or switch?

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Also make sure File and printer sharing is listed in the exceptions to the windows firewall.

Also make sure Kramer has file and printer sharing installed/enabled. You can find this in the Network card properties.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have had SP2 for a long time.

I'll check the files and stuff...but I have my Windows Firewall turned off, so not sure it matters in the exception list.

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
you know... I had this happen at work once... 29 computers all networked as yours are... One computer all of the sudden no longer existed... All the settings were correct, nothing changed... On all of them the workgroup was correct and the 28 could see the other 28... the last one, could see the same named workgroup but could not see anyone else and none of the others could see it...

After racking my brain, I shut down the problem comp, turned off the router for about 30 seconds, powered back up the router, powered back up the problem unit and have never had a problem since...

not an answer really but I do know exactly what you are talking about...

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
wow 28 pc's on a workgroup? Any reason you guys don't use a domain?

Mike - open a command window

type ipconfig /flushdns

hit enter

see if you can now ping by computer name.

bratwurst

Reaction score
CardFan67 said:
you know... I had this happen at work once... 29 computers all networked as yours are... One computer all of the sudden no longer existed... All the settings were correct, nothing changed... On all of them the workgroup was correct and the 28 could see the other 28... the last one, could see the same named workgroup but could not see anyone else and none of the others could see it...

After racking my brain, I shut down the problem comp, turned off the router for about 30 seconds, powered back up the router, powered back up the problem unit and have never had a problem since...

not an answer really but I do know exactly what you are talking about...

Is your router your DNS server?

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
bratwurst said:
Any reason you guys don't use a domain?

because they use this "friend of the family" that won't work on his software if we change anything... you don't even want to know how lame this program is that he charges us for either... Long story...

bratwurst

Reaction score
So how would this program stop working if you used a domain? :shrug:

Should I just not ask and we'll move forward?

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
I never said it would stop working... He just said he will not support his software if I change the network or VPN settings...

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardFan67 said:
you don't even want to know how lame this program is that he charges us for either...
Yes, I do want to know how lame the program is.

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
nm132 said:
Yes, I do want to know how lame the program is.

This was purchased from this guy in 1986 and it is written in Basic 4... It runs on a Unix based HP server and is accessed via a VPN even if you are located in the same building as the server.

It is accessed through Century's Tiny Term Emulator and has no real modern day functionality. It handles the customer data base, routing and usage tracking, invoicing, parts and counter sales, inventory, pricing and payroll... It does not generate any reports nor can you export any usable information.

With 29 computer assigned employees in 4 locations you it also does not allow for dual access to anyone item or bit of information. If A/R is working on DSO's and working an account the dispatcher cannot access information on that particular customer or any item (inventory and equipment) that is linked to that customer.

If a satelite location is selling an item, none of the other locations can sell that item or do inquiries as it relates to that item. After the item is sold it does not update inventories but rather prints out a dot matrix notification that is then taken and manually removed from inventory or faxed to the corporate office for inventory removal...

I could go on and on and on.... These are just "tip of the iceberg" points...

On a side they paid 40k for this initial program, and were paying him $400 a month in licensing and $100.00 per hour for technical support...

by the way there are actually 4 workgroups set up for the 29 comps, not just one...