Williams answers any need for speed

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Bob McManaman
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 10, 2005 12:00 AM

TUCSON - Where there's Smoke, there's usually fire.

And the flames typically line the base paths when Marland "Smoke" Williams gets on base and shows off his speed.

"He's the best in the organization that I know of," manager Bob Melvin said. "He's a true leadoff guy."

Williams once scored from second base on a fly to center field.

"The center fielder was taking his time, so I just kept going and beat it out," Williams said, laughing as he recalled the play. "That was pretty fun."

A 36th-round pick out of Gainesville, Fla., Williams, 23, has either tied or led the organization in stolen bases each of the past three seasons. In 2002, he led the Northwest League with 51. In 2003, he had 57 at Class A Lancaster. Last season, he had 49 at Double-A El Paso. He hit .257 last year after a .287 season in 2003.

"If they give you the opportunity, you take it," said Williams, a center fielder who is listed at 5 feet, 9 inches and 175 pounds. "I'll try and do whatever I can, whether it's stealing home or anything to make the game a little more exciting."

Dead-arm day

Right-hander Oscar Villarreal said he couldn't get any life on his pitches and attributed Wednesday's ineffective outing, five runs, four hits and three walks during 1 2/3 innings, to a dead arm.

"Everybody gets it, it's just a matter of when do you get it," pitching coach Mark Davis said.

Villarreal, who had been encouraged by two recent side sessions, is scheduled to make his first start Monday against Colorado.

Aquino on hold

Closer Greg Aquino played catch, but because the team wants to be cautious with his sore elbow, it could be several days before he's in another game.

"We're going to make sure we take care of this thing," Melvin said.

" . . . Being a reliever, it doesn't take as long to get him going."

Short hops

The team scored a 3-2 victory in a B game against the White Sox.

The game was tied after five innings, and although Arizona was out of pitchers, the White Sox wanted play to continue so their staff could take a look at a couple of more hurlers, so the Diamondbacks got two more turns at bat without having to play defense.

Williams and Andy Green each collected two hits. Pitchers Randy Choate and Mike Koplove combined for three scoreless innings. Enrique Gonzalez allowed two runs off four hits in one inning.

• Outfielder Luis Terrero was scratched from Wednesday's game as he continues to recover from a bruised tailbone suffered while sliding into second base Monday night against the Rockies.

• Luis Gonzalez reported no problems with his right elbow after his first start in the field Tuesday and is scheduled to play left field again Friday against the Cubs in Mesa.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/special3/articles/0310dbacksnb0310.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort