Will we see Brandon Drury soon?

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
Chris Owings has had a hard time getting it going at the plate this season and Drury was recently moved up to AAA Reno. Drury was a STUD in thee spring as was likely a tough decision to not give a spot on the big league roster. He's been raking in AAA, batting .388. How long before we see him in the bigs?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect when they feel he can play 2B everyday. Before this season, be played 12 games at 2B, with most of those coming with he was 17 and has evenly split time between 3B and 2B this season. My guess is that he is a September call up.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I thought they would bring him up if and when they get rid of Hill. Guess Hill's salary is too large.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Hill's contract is problematic for sure as there is no easy way to move him...
Still, I think of the Dbacks are somehow still in reach of a playoff spot come mid-August, it will be very hard if not impossible for the team not to drop Owings and bring up Drury...

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hill's contract is problematic for sure as there is no easy way to move him...
Still, I think of the Dbacks are somehow still in reach of a playoff spot come mid-August, it will be very hard if not impossible for the team not to drop Owings and bring up Drury...

We have far and away scored the most runs in the NL, no way we put someone in with limited playing time at 2B for his bat, which is unproven in the majors. Owings plays a nice 2B and defense behind our pitchers is more important right now.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
We have far and away scored the most runs in the NL, no way we put someone in with limited playing time at 2B for his bat, which is unproven in the majors. Owings plays a nice 2B and defense behind our pitchers is more important right now.

We'll see... I don't see Drury stinking it up defensively in Reno. I like Owings and wish he would hit. But it's painful and with Drury's bat, I just don't see how the club doesn't make that move if they're still in contention come mid-August... But we'll see...

OP
OP
sundevil04

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
We'll see... I don't see Drury stinking it up defensively in Reno. I like Owings and wish he would hit. But it's painful and with Drury's bat, I just don't see how the club doesn't make that move if they're still in contention come mid-August... But we'll see...

His fielding pct at 2b in the minors is .980

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
On MILB it shows .985 for 2nd base. At SS he is 1.000 (granted, only 10 games.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Again, in limited playing time. I get that you want to rush up these prospects because they can hit, but hitting is not our issue right now.

We won't be successful with BOTH middle infielders hitting sub-.240. Ahmed seems to demonstrate a greater ability to get his production at the plate to higher/more respectable levels versus Owings.
And with a tremendous bat waiting to hit the bigs behind him, Owings is the odd man out.
It will become steadily more difficult for this team to compete with Owings at second base. Yes, we desperately more consistent/higher quality pitching. But we will soon need a more balanced offensive attack. Drury could be a huge part of that recipe and again, if by some chance we're still sniffing a playoff slot come mid-August, I just can't see the team looking the other way and keeping Drury down on the farm.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We won't be successful with BOTH middle infielders hitting sub-.240. Ahmed seems to demonstrate a greater ability to get his production at the plate to higher/more respectable levels versus Owings.
And with a tremendous bat waiting to hit the bigs behind him, Owings is the odd man out.
It will become steadily more difficult for this team to compete with Owings at second base. Yes, we desperately more consistent/higher quality pitching. But we will soon need a more balanced offensive attack. Drury could be a huge part of that recipe and again, if by some chance we're still sniffing a playoff slot come mid-August, I just can't see the team looking the other way and keeping Drury down on the farm.

You are right and thankfully Ahmed is hitting well above that since his first every April in the majors. Don't get me wrong, I wanted Drury up at 3B last season, but I am not ready to hand a kid 2B when only a handful of games under his belt over there. Let him play everyday there for a while longer. Now that Wellington is hitting better and Ahmed is showing to be a solid hitting SS, Owings is not hurting us enough to make a change.

Attachments

• Nick.jpg
    Nick.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 70

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And trust me when I say, I can't wait to see Drury and Ahmed manning the infield for years to come. It makes the Upton trade easier to swallow.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And trust me when I say, I can't wait to see Drury and Ahmed manning the infield for years to come. It makes the Upton trade easier to swallow.

If Ahmed continues like he is, and Drury is a starter next year, then the Dbacks will have won the Upton trade.