Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
This might be the reason why

Other top teams record wise

Vs Dallas- 0-2
Vs Spurs- 0-1
Vs Jazz- 0-2

Guess we will find out how we do Vs the top east teams when we face the Pistons on sunday and the Bulls the week after.

Need to get some quailty wins.

The Dallas game proved why we have not beat a top team. Struggling to score at the end of games, losing ibg leads which you can't do if you want to win a title.

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
The Suns get tons of praise overall, they don't usually get mad respect in regards to the post-season because we've never won a title.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I'm not sure where is all this "disrespect" thing coming from. All I have seen is respect for Suns. They are also considered one of the few teams winning the title.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure where is all this "disrespect" thing coming from. All I have seen is respect for Suns. They are also considered one of the few teams winning the title.

Actually, I think the perceived "disrepect" the Suns receive is based on history. The Suns have typically never had a dominant big man in the middle and their emphasis as a team has generally been on offense... not defense. I think many fans believe a team (generally speaking) needs a dominant big man and a good defense to win a Championship.

Also related, the Suns historically seem to be undersized. I don't have any stats to back it up, but I have this chip on my shoulder regarding the Suns... sort of a Napoleon complex. :)

Here's hoping Amare stays healthy.

dbUNIT16

Registered
Reaction score
We manage to give every game against the top teams in the West away with silly mistakes in the last 2min of the game. I really get nervious when we play San Antonio and Dallas, not because I don't think we can win, but because I know a loss will create a wirlwind of criticisism from ESPN and TNT.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
We just really have had some bad breaks in all our games with Spurs, Jazz, and Mavs... All of these games could have gone either way and we did some stupid stuff especially during last few minutes of the game to give the game away.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
All in all, the "whirlwind of criticism from ESPN and TNT" carries about as much weight as their November 2005 evaluation of the Suns' chances for a good season, which they rated dismal to zero. Right now the media is giving this team the respect it deserves for being ranked one of the top four teams in the west, not an easy accomplishment. Some fans are uneasy about how they got there, but they're there. The Suns have been called underachievers and they've been called overachievers, take your pick.

No surprise that this year the media goes both ways in their projections, depending on what you watch or read and the results of the last 3-4 games. Some of that waffling is because Amare's still a question mark, and some of it is likely because of last year's improbable record. There are those who hold to the defense-wins-titles-and-Suns-can't-play-defense theory; there are some who see Phoenix with a legimate chance at winning it all (Stein).

In the long run, the best everyone can do is guess. Kool-Aid addict or "realist," nobody knows what will happen over the next two-thirds of the season. Like every other team in the league the Suns are one serious injury away from going down the drain and a few lucky breaks away from surprising the hell out of everyone, including ESPN and TNT.

Isn't that what makes it all fun?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The Suns get no respect because they haven't earned it... that simple...

Would be nice to see them win the tough games against the tought teams. However, when you can't even spell defense, let alone play it, winning tough games is not really possible...

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
The Suns run & gun style works for most of the game. There is a time to slow down & take good shots. Like at the end of a game when the score is close. The Suns made a mistake not feeding Amare the ball down low when we needed to close out the game. Amare is the X factor, and he needs to get the ball in crunch time PERIOD.

The loss to Dallas didnt bother me much since we were on the road and Dallas made tons of plays at the end to beat us by ONE bucket...

But we better learn how to take better shots at the end of games.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
This might be the reason why

Other top teams record wise

Vs Dallas- 0-2
Vs Spurs- 0-1
Vs Jazz- 0-2

Guess we will find out how we do Vs the top east teams when we face the Pistons on sunday and the Bulls the week after.

Need to get some quailty wins.

The Dallas game proved why we have not beat a top team. Struggling to score at the end of games, losing ibg leads which you can't do if you want to win a title.

You hit the nail on the head!

Suns need to win the west before they get to the east in the playoffs

M3Man

Reaction score
As a Mavs Fan I have Huge Respect for the Suns

First you have the Magic Man, little Stevie, who proved last year he can make the Suns win with very iffy talent. And you have the Freak of Nature, Amare, who is the scariest talent in the NBA, if he gets back to 100%. Every meeting strikes fear in my heart, even though the Mavs are on a nice little winning streak.

The problem the Suns have is the same one the Mavs had when running and gunning under Don Nelson. They win by outrunning teams and by spreading the floor and out-shooting them. Teams with the right personel and true dicipline get back on defense and get out on 3 point shooters. This is why the old Mavs could never beat San Antonio and its why the Suns struggle against Dallas.

The X factor remains Amare. The Mavs showed in this last game some improved ability to defend the pick and roll. My team is much better at defending the 3 than it was 2 years ago, so the Suns only chance is the 2 man game with Nash and Amare. With a healthy Amare, its the most unstoppable play in the NBA. But is it enough alone to keep the Suns ahead? Because the Suns can't stop us from scoring. They have to outscore us.

I'm not one who believes the run and gun can't win a title. But having been there with Nellie's Mavs, I believe a team that can score and defend has a much better chance. The Suns have no answer for Dirk, and no one quick enough to stay in front of Devin Harris or Jason Terry... they both beat Stevie like a drum. Dicipline on defense negates Marion, as the Mavs keep adding perimeter defenders who make those 3's a lot harder, because shooters aren't so open.

To me, we have the continuation of a great rivalry. Two best friends, 2 Sunbelt cites. 2 battling philosophies. Barkley may not like either team, but he's a joke. The Suns get respect where it counts, from their opponents. The Mavs off season aqusistions include Greg Buckner and Anthony Johnson, who's main job is to play defense on the likes of Nash and Raja. That's respect. The Spurs dumped their big centers to get guys who can keep up with Dirk and Amare. Thats respect. The only way to win any more respect is to win it all. See ya in the playoffs, when the real season begins.