Who's your candidate to take over as GM?

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’ve been reading some Titan message boards and their fans seem to have very similar feeling about their GM search as we do. They have 2 in house candidates but no one wants to see either of them hired. They want to clean house and bring in someone from the outside. Ian Cunningham and Ran Carthon seem to be the consensus top two choices.

You can probably say this for most GM and HC searches ever. Fans always think the grass is greener on the other side.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m hearing the Cards intend to formally pick a GM by the end of this week.

Yeah I was just going to say they have interviewed everyone they have been linked to as far as I can see and Mike has had the weekend to think it over.

Baring him being undecided and wanting 2nd interviews I'd think by Tuesday or Wednesday because they won't want to leave HC interviews too long.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I was just going to say they have interviewed everyone they have been linked to as far as I can see and Mike has had the weekend to think it over.

Baring him being undecided and wanting 2nd interviews I'd think by Tuesday or Wednesday because they won't want to leave HC interviews too long.
I think they will make a GM decision after interviewing Payton as he most likely would want to have that person reporting to him or put his guy in there.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think they will make a GM decision after interviewing Payton as he most likely would want to have that person reporting to him or put his guy in there.
I know it’s been discussed somewhere but do we know when they will be interviewing Payton?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I think they will make a GM decision after interviewing Payton
i think they will know if they can get Payton or not by Wednesday

so if they can get him, no GM announcement

if they cant, its on to plan B with their GM of choice

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
My choice is Ian Cunningham.

I like that he has worked with two organizations (Eagles and Ravens) who are known for pumping out quality personnel people. The fact that he worked closely with Newsome means he might have gleaned insight that could be invaluable in cracking the personnel code.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My choice is Ian Cunningham.

I read several articles about him yesterday, and one feeling I come away with was that he might be fine working with Payton. He seems the type that make it work, and who are good creating relations.

Also, another thing I noticed was that he seems really, really good.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm not sure they do.

I think the control thing with Payton is overblown. Loomis is no sock puppet token GM. I think Payton just wants someone he can work well with and that we put a GM in place first.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You definitely need a GM and Head Coach to be on the same page.
I view a GM in charge of acquire and evaluating talent and trad options.
I think the Head Coach works with him to evaluate the current talent, report the deficiencies in the roster and the type of player he needs for his system if possible.
The GM and scouting dept to evaluate the best talent. He can’t pass up a B+ player for a C- player to fill a need. A balance definitely needs to be attempted.

waterboy

Rookie
Reaction score
I don't think that ANY general manager can be successful with the Cardinals so long as Michael Bidwill runs the team as a triumvirate of owner - general manager - coach. He may be a heck of an airplane pilot but his presence in the day-to-day operations of the team cannot be helpful. He needs to hire good people and stay out of the way. And he needs someone like Bill Parcells to guide him in hiring a general manager and head coach.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I don't think that ANY general manager can be successful with the Cardinals so long as Michael Bidwill runs the team as a triumvirate of owner - general manager - coach. He may be a heck of an airplane pilot but his presence in the day-to-day operations of the team cannot be helpful. He needs to hire good people and stay out of the way. And he needs someone like Bill Parcells to guide him in hiring a general manager and head coach.
No doubt Bidwill makes it challenging. Still you have to try. That’s why I like Cunningham. He’s his own man who’s capable of sorting through tons of personnel info. He won’t be easy to push around, having done this for many years working for most all types of people. He won’t get pushed around but he knows how to handle people.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Couple things:

1) You can't have a couple GMs, it doesn't work like that. You have a GM, the GM has a staff and the head coach is part of that staff

2) Any GM that doesn't insist on picking the next head coach has no business being a GM

Last edited:

football karma

Reaction score
looks like the search is over

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

football karma

Reaction score
Mike B goes outside

long time Patriot front office guy

probably means some Patriot-like "WTF?!?" draft picks that ultimately work out well

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I feel nothing. Neither great nor awful. As good as the pats always were I never thought it was about personnel I thought it was about Brady and belicheck. Not overly impressed with titans personnel moves either. This seems a bit like going with vanilla because you know what it tastes like.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose