Who're your favorite authors?

Strong Bad

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I charge by the hour. Unless I am dealing with MPDs, then I charge by the hour multiplied by the people I have to sort through. Still, I normally only receive one check buying the bill. I am not looking to expand my clientele right now but I can recommend a few good therapists who could help you. All you have to do is ask. They all work on a sliding scale. I am positive you can afford their bill.

My wife said stay away from this board. My daughter said stay away from this board. I listened to them for a few weeks. I should have listened to them longer. Brave Sir Robin might turn and flee when danger rears its ugly head, but not me. I have just learned over my life not to get myself involved with self-righteous people egomaniacs, but I will make an exception today just because of what I noticed today.

It was a simple question that attracted me to this particle post. "Who is your favorite author?" I enjoyed the first few posts. Then I saw a post that must have listed over 40 authors. I can understand naming 5 or 6 different authors. I can understand naming 2 or 3 different authors when also using different writing categories, but naming over 40 different authors is so excessive it clearly tells something interesting about the poster. It is a sure sign of someone with a bloated ego. It's great to be well read. A good education is not something to take lightly. Although I am a little surprised to see a number of those authors in such a post. At least half a dozen have a religious edge to their writing. A christian religious edge. I know this because I too am a huge fan of CS Lewis and Max Lucado. I remember my Father reading the Tales of Narnia to me as a little boy and made it into a tradition as I read it to my children when they were young. Now, if I remember my childhood Sunday School lessons correctly -- and please, feel free to correct me if I am wrong -- Paul was a very well educated man as well. Except, if I recall correctly, he considered his education to be a hindrance when it came to the cause of furthering christianity. You might be like me and just like those authors without buying into their philosophy. Although, I think if you and Chandler Mike did not agree with their philosophy you not read the others.

So, with that said I thank you both for your very christian philosophy based responses.

I am sure there will be another volley of "christian" responses to this post but, I will try my best to accept the wisdom from my better half and forget about some of the bloated egos on this board. :wave:

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moi - a bloated ego? rotfl - just kidding.

Yeah...well...hmmm. I don't even know where to begin. I think I'll begin in the middle. Was it really more than 40 different authors, I hadn't counted. However, I just went back and did so and you are incorrect. There are 39 different authors named, but 42 listed. I also believe that the post asked who were my favorite authors and that being the case - that's what I listed. I don't see how that equates in any way to a turgid ego (sorry - I couldn't resist). You'll also notice that the majority of the authors I listed are poets. MPD's? Why, because I list Poe, Plath and Blake next to Silverstein, Auden and Chaucer? Or are you suggesting that I because I like a myriad of authors that equates to me having MPD's? Say what you mean sir - don't toy around with words. You'd probably like to label me a megalomaniac I'm sure. Or perhaps not, who knows.

So how does one address you? Is it Doctor then? Right, doctor it shall be. So Doc - in dealing with your patience, do you find it easier to just perscribe pills or do you actually try to treat them? Were you drawn by a desire to help people or the lure of money? I hope you don't diagnos on the cheap, like you have with me. Do you have them post on a message board and then you send them a bill? That must be that new "e-Psychology" they're teaching now days I suppose. But I'm so out of sync with the education system anyway - being the uneducated dullard that I am. Tell me Doc - was it my father in the shed or my brother in the bathroom that made me who I am? Or perhaps some Fruedian psychosis? Is that even possible? I'm not sure that I can use those two terms together.

I know - post a picture on the board, I can tell you what I see and you can analyze me further. Or not.

But in all seriousness - an egomaniac I'm not. That's ludicrious to even assume so. I might be opinionated on some things - literature not being one of them - but I've no swollen ego. I know what I like and what I don't like and I'll speak to them when a question is posted. Doesn't mean I'm right or wrong, just means that I'm throwing in my - what is it now with the cost of living and inflation - my .25 cents worth? I guess I could attempt to justify my list by saying that I started this thread and so I put up as many as I could think of to try and get the most people interested - but I won't. I put them up because I like these particular authors.

Just so you know - I've got 8 bookshelves in my house filled completely with books. A couple of them are double stacked. Then I've got 6 other boxes full of books in storage. But I won't apologize for that either. My wife happens to hold an English Lit Major so I've also read many of the books she owned that I acquired when we were married. Must I also apologize for that? No, I don't I will for that either.

Have you performed any self-analysis? Perhaps you have some fear of books or authors from all that schooling that you went through? Just a thought.

Well, time for me to quit screwing around. I've got a Kingdom to run and if you give the serfs an meter they take a furlong - you know how they can be.

Before I do run off though - you scored some high marks with me, even though we are trading barbs - with your Monty Python ref. I loves me some Monty Python. :) Cheers

Shawn

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Strong Bad

I am sure there will be another volley of "christian" responses to this post but, I will try my best to accept the wisdom from my better half and forget about some of the bloated egos on this board. :wave:

First off, just because we have religious discussions on this board, and happen to read christian authors, doesn't mean we use God to respond to guys like you. I don't see any christian "responses" in this thread at all, and for you to use that as some kind of sarcastic remark is pretty lame. And uncalled for.

Second, if anyone has an ego, it's you. The people (except you of course) that contributed to this thread have been posting on this board for a looooooooooooooong time. We all know each other pretty well, and for Shawn to post a big list of authors...well, Shawn loves to read, as does his wife, so it makes sense to have a list like that.

You wouldn't know that of course, as you brazenly just show up and immediately make a "good" impression on us by posting such an arrogant comment. If you're going to join an online forum community, you'd better have better manners than you do...just because we can't see anyone doesn't mean we can't act like civilized human beings.

Mike

Strong Bad

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You are right. There is no reason we can't act like civilized human beings. I also never said anything against reading. Although it is my opinion (a more civil comment) that listing 39 authors as your favorite writers is pretentious regardless what is your wife's or your major. I do not know Shawn at all. He may not be pretentious or bloated, but that post is pretentious.

Last edited:

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SirStefan32
I don't understand what the problem is here.:confused:
What's wrong with listing 39 authors?

Apparently it shows my megalomania side. :)

Shawn

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by FischerKing
Apparently it shows my megalomania side. :)

Shawn

It also shows your psychopathological condition characterized by delusional fantasies of wealth, power, or omnipotence...

:wave:

Mike

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also decided to "revive" this old thread...Any newer authors that have become your favorites since you last posted in this thread? Any that you'd recommend others to check-out?

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aarrrgh - the dreaded "portentious" thread - rotfl. :thumbup:

New authors - Ravi Zacharias, J. R. W. Stott, Michael Behe, and Robert N. Charrette.

Shawn

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jim Thompson writes the best crime nior...ever. :thumbup:

I highly recommend you start with "A Killer Inside Me." You'll be hooked and won't stop reading Thompson until you've read them all.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really love King and Tom Clancy but Clancy last couple books have really been lower quality stuff.

For Non-fiction one of my favorite authors is John Feinstein...just writes fantastic sports books.

I am not too picky about my authors though.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't wanna be all pretentious or nothin but my favorite book writer guys are Terry Pratchett and Robert Asparin.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
FischerKing said:
Aarrrgh - the dreaded "portentious" thread - rotfl. :thumbup:

New authors - Ravi Zacharias, J. R. W. Stott, Michael Behe, and Robert N. Charrette.

Shawn

4 more? Are you insane??? That's like 46 authors now!

:D

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F. Scott Fitzgerald

And wow, that Strong Bad guy was an ass! WTF!? :doi:

Last edited:

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
4 more? Are you insane??? That's like 46 authors now!

:D

These are the ones that I've read since my back surgery 3 weeks ago - I read 10 books in the first two weeks by several authors and these 4 stood out to me. :D

Shawn

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn