Whiplash

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whiplash

Release Date: October 10, 2014 (limited)
Studio: Sony Pictures Classics
Director: Damien Chazelle
Screenwriter: Damien Chazelle
Genre: Comedy, Drama
MPAA Rating: R (for strong language including some sexual references)

Starring: Miles Teller, J.K. Simmons

Plot Summary: Andrew Neyman is an ambitious young jazz drummer, single-minded in his pursuit to rise to the top of his elite east coast music conservatory. Plagued by the failed writing career of his father, Andrew hungers day and night to become one of the greats. Terence Fletcher, an instructor equally known for his teaching talents as for his terrifying methods, leads the top jazz ensemble in the school. Fletcher discovers Andrew and transfers the aspiring drummer into his band, forever changing the young man's life. Andrew's passion to achieve perfection quickly spirals into obsession, as his ruthless teacher continues to push him to the brink of both his ability-and his sanity.

You must be registered for see images attach

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I really want to see this! I believe it finally hits wide release this weekend. I understand veteran character actor J.K. Simmons gives the performance of his career. There is a lot of Oscar buzz for him for best supporting actor for this film.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I really want to see this! I believe it finally hits wide release this weekend. I understand veteran character actor J.K. Simmons gives the performance of his career. There is a lot of Oscar buzz for him for best supporting actor for this film.
Yeah, limited release for a while, but there's only one clip to see how JK nails this.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Does it look good. Different too.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
WOW....

SO freaking good. I loved it. Outstanding performances by J.K. and Miles. Seriously one of my favorite films of the year.

Superbone

Reaction score
Yep, my son and I loved it too. My son said the movie really inspired him.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Yep, my son and I loved it too. My son said the movie really inspired him.

Me too I have this racing hobby that I do that I was feeling really discouraged about, literally while waiting for the movie to start I was telling my friend I was thinking about quitting because I have been struggling, after the end I was like; OPEN THE TRACK I NEED TO PRACTICE!!!!

:)

Superbone

Reaction score
Me too I have this racing hobby that I do that I was feeling really discouraged about, literally while waiting for the movie to start I was telling my friend I was thinking about quitting because I have been struggling, after the end I was like; OPEN THE TRACK I NEED TO PRACTICE!!!!

:)

Ha ha! That's great. :)

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Academy And WGA At Odds Over Acclaimed ‘Whiplash’ Screenplay – Will It Hurt Oscar Chances?

http://deadline.com/2015/01/academy...enplay-will-it-hurt-oscar-chances-1201341846/

Damien Chazell’s Sundance winning Whiplash, an admittedly largely autobiographical screenplay he wrote has been mysteriously classified as an adapted script by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences which did not inform Chazzell or the film’s distributor of its decision before ballots went out on December 29th. In fact Sony Pictures Classics only discovered this fact only Monday and was quite puzzled. Chazell, who considers his script original is not an Academy member and therefore unable to vote, was also completely unaware. Complicating matters the Writers Guild of America had vetted it and declared it an Original screenplay for their competition (nominees will be announced Wednesday) leading to the unprecedented situation of the guild calling it original and the Academy disagreeing.

Clearly though Whiplash is an Original Screenplay and it would seem oddly off kilter if it does end up Oscar-nominated as an adaptation. When I moderated the Talking Pictures Q&A with its much awarded co-star J.K. Simmons at the Palm Springs International Film Festival on Saturday he confirmed just how it came about. “Damien had written it as a feature. When Jason Reitman and Helen Eastabrook and others tried to get it produced he was shocked that nobody wanted to give him millions of dollars to make a movie about a drummer, so really as sort of a proof of concept to generate funding to make it as a feature he distilled the first scene in the studio band where Andrew comes in and a chair is thrown and all that stuff happens. That was the short film that went to Sundance two years ago and won awards and got the interest going and the funding to make the feature. So it was originally a feature, then a short , then a feature again, ” he said.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was a good movie, but with a lot of faults that jumped out at me.

First, let me say that Simmons definitely deserved the Oscar. An absolutely stellar performance.

Unfortunately for me, I spent a good deal of time in my mid-twenties around big band jazz. My brother in law writes and arranges for a number of the big bands, and has played (bass trombone) with Stan Kenton. A good friend of his and mine is a top notch trumpet player that has played with, among others, the Buddy Rich Band and Maynard Ferguson's band. Because of this, some glaring errors popped out at me that kind of brought the movie down a few notches.

One big problem was that throughout most of the movie, the actions of the band members did not match the sound, i.e. the trombones would be sliding all over the place when there was no difference in pitch/tone in the accompanying music. Likewise, they focused on the drummer's lighting fast cymbal work while there were drum breaks that were clearly of the 2 handed sort. I saw some embouchures that looked like the person had never held a horn before. And there is no way in hell that an upperclassman at what was supposed to be the best music school in the country would be playing out of tune: can't happen.

I was also turned off by the bloody hands routine from him practicing too much. This kid is a great prodigy drummer and he's never heard of drummer's gloves? Zildjian makes a great pair for about $16 from Amazon.

Ignacy Paderewski said, "If I miss one day of practice, I notice it. If I miss two days, the critics notice it. If I miss three days, the audience notices it." So we're supposed to believe that this kid, who has had his drums in the closet for who knows how long, can practice for a day or two and get his chops back? Simply can't happen.

I also thought Paul Rudd was wasted. If they had totally removed him from the movie, it really wouldn't have made a difference. They really shortchanged the girl friend aspect of the movie, too. They could have, and should have done better.

The dropped drumstick deal was a farce, too. What would he have done had he busted a stick on a rimshot? He would have reached down and grabbed another stick. Sitting at your set with two drumsticks is like starting the Daytona 500 with 2 gallons of gas: You always have extra sticks available and reachable.

And the set up at the end of the movie was simply preposterous, for oh, so many reasons, not the least of which was it would have destroyed Fletcher, as his silly plot of revenge would have strongly alienated the entire band.... And as he said, people don't forget. He never would have been able to put any kind of band together again.

And, quite frankly, Fletcher's constant sadistic attitude was wearing a bit thin at the end.

Good movie..... could have been better with a few tweaks. 3.5 out of 5 stars for me.

Last edited:

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

First, let me say that Simmons definitely deserved the Oscar. An absolutely stellar performance.

Unfortunately for me, I spent a good deal of time in my mid-twenties around big band jazz. My brother in law writes and arranges for a number of the big bands, and has played (bass trombone) with Stan Kenton. A good friend of his and mine is a top notch trumpet player that has played with, among others, the Buddy Rich Band and Maynard Ferguson's band. Because of this, some glaring errors popped out at me that kind of brought the movie down a few notches.

One big problem was that throughout most of the movie, the actions of the band members did not match the sound, i.e. the trombones would be sliding all over the place when there was no difference in pitch/tone in the accompanying music. Likewise, they focused on the drummer's lighting fast cymbal work while there were drum breaks that were clearly of the 2 handed sort. I saw some embouchures that looked like the person had never held a horn before. And there is no way in hell that an upperclassman at what was supposed to be the best music school in the country would be playing out of tune: can't happen.

I was also turned off by the bloody hands routine from him practicing too much. This kid is a great prodigy drummer and he's never heard of drummer's gloves? Zildjian makes a great pair for about $16 from Amazon.

Ignacy Paderewski said, "If I miss one day of practice, I notice it. If I miss two days, the critics notice it. If I miss three days, the audience notices it." So we're supposed to believe that this kid, who has had his drums in the closet for who knows how long, can practice for a day or two and get his chops back? Simply can't happen.

I also thought Paul Rudd was wasted. If they had totally removed him from the movie, it really wouldn't have made a difference. They really shortchanged the girl friend aspect of the movie, too. They could have, and should have done better.

The dropped drumstick deal was a farce, too. What would he have done had he busted a stick on a rimshot? He would have reached down and grabbed another stick. Sitting at your set with two drumsticks is like starting the Daytona 500 with 2 gallons of gas: You always have extra sticks available and reachable.

And the set up at the end of the movie was simply preposterous, for oh, so many reasons, not the least of which was it would have destroyed Fletcher, as his silly plot of revenge would have strongly alienated the entire band.... And as he said, people don't forget. He never would have been able to put any kind of band together again.

And, quite frankly, Fletcher's constant sadistic attitude was wearing a bit thin at the end.

Good movie..... could have been better with a few tweaks. 3.5 out of 5 stars for me.

I found this to be very interesting to read and I appreciate the effort to write it. I find that a lot of times in movies ignorance is bliss. During a movie I tend to try to shut of my brain a bit and just sit back and (hopefully) enjoy. After the movie though I always enjoy reading these types of narratives.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this to be very interesting to read and I appreciate the effort to write it. I find that a lot of times in movies ignorance is bliss. During a movie I tend to try to shut of my brain a bit and just sit back and (hopefully) enjoy. After the movie though I always enjoy reading these types of narratives.

Thanks!

I generally try to do the same thing, i.e. just shut it off and enjoy. I certainly did not go looking for fault with this film.. au contraire!! However, for the reasons I listed, the stuff just jumped out at me. Crap!!!

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

The bloody hands; Cinema to show how grueling a practice regiment it requires to play at that level.

The sticks; Again, cinema to show how desperate he had become by that moment. Plus hadn't he just gotten in a car accident, is it not conceivable that he forgot the extra sticks?

The long break only to come back was all to drive home the point that it's easy to give up, tough to persevere.

The girlfriend; to show how dedicated and obsessed he had become. Driven beyond wanting to get laid, all he cared about was pleasing his mentor.

In movies you cant always perfectly synchronize playing with miming playing. It's almost impossible.

I respect your opinion coming from a background but it's like people watching a hacker movie saying; He's not really typing!!! Well duh, he's an actor. I just think you are letting your expertise let you be super nit picky about stuff and dont really warrant the bad review.

If they made it all exactly accurate and perfectly fitting with Jazz, nobody would have watched it because it would have been boring like all movies where they stick perfectly to reality.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bloody hands; Cinema to show how grueling a practice regiment it requires to play at that level.

The sticks; Again, cinema to show how desperate he had become by that moment. Plus hadn't he just gotten in a car accident, is it not conceivable that he forgot the extra sticks?

The long break only to come back was all to drive home the point that it's easy to give up, tough to persevere.

The girlfriend; to show how dedicated and obsessed he had become. Driven beyond wanting to get laid, all he cared about was pleasing his mentor.

In movies you cant always perfectly synchronize playing with miming playing. It's almost impossible.

I respect your opinion coming from a background but it's like people watching a hacker movie saying; He's not really typing!!! Well duh, he's an actor. I just think you are letting your expertise let you be super nit picky about stuff and dont really warrant the bad review.

If they made it all exactly accurate and perfectly fitting with Jazz, nobody would have watched it because it would have been boring like all movies where they stick perfectly to reality.

No problems. I don't consider 3.5 out of 5 a bad review, and I did say it was a good movie. And from my perspective, that many errors means I'm not being nitpicky. but, as they say, "...eye of the beholder..." ;)

We're good.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
No problems. I don't consider 3.5 out of 5 a bad review, and I did say it was a good movie. And from my perspective, that many errors means I'm not being nitpicky. but, as they say, "...eye of the beholder..." ;)

We're good.

Didn't mean to sound rude if I did. Get where you are coming from forsure, just have to remember that some of us dont know anything! lol. :)

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Whoa, this was intense. Even though I know absolutely nothing about bands. I agree with every adjective on the poster.

The scene where he dumps his girlfriend was awesome, showing how obsessed he was and that he knew it. "yeah, that's exactly my point" Wow.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Plane movie.

I really enjoyed it.

The technical bits UC mention really don't bother me as it didn't really impact the story telling

I heard a lot about JK and how abusive he was and he's been fantastic since forever, especially in these characters (which is why he freaks me out doing insurance commercials in a sweater - I'm waiting for the hell turn .....)

I didn't expect Miles to also be so warped and how it intensifies and strains his relationships as the movie goes on

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson