What kickers are out there?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we decide Prater's not reliable enough anymore are there any kickers out there? Cleveland got rid of Chase McLaughlin because they drafted the K from LSU, it looks like McLaughlin is still unsigned, 4 years 75% career on FG's, 2 missed XP's but he's really never been a full time Kicker.

I have to admit I expect we start the year with Prater and if he has issues start looking around.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
greg zuerlein

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prater isn’t going anywhere. Let’s move on.

I was his biggest fan last year, I've just seen too many of those screwball kicks where the ball starts straight and then curves right. I was ok last year because you could see the different holder was an issue but this is with his favorite holder.

Concerns me. STill has a great leg but seems very inconsistent now.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was his biggest fan last year, I've just seen too many of those screwball kicks where the ball starts straight and then curves right. I was ok last year because you could see the different holder was an issue but this is with his favorite holder.

Concerns me. STill has a great leg but seems very inconsistent now.
I’m not disagreeing that he’s been inconsistent. My point is that unless Prater completely falls apart, nothing is going to happen THIS YEAR. Next year? Absolutely.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Prater had a 81% FG make rate last year.

81% ranked 27th overall. His career is 84%, and that includes 6 years of kicking in a dome in Detroit

to get up into the top half of the NFL, he would have to be up at 87.5% -- he has done it 4 times out of his 14 years.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

81% ranked 27th overall. His career is 84%, and that includes 6 years of kicking in a dome in Detroit

to get up into the top half of the NFL, he would have to be up at 87.5% -- he has done it 4 times out of his 14 years.
Yea so basically he kinda sucks

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

the advantage with him is the big leg but yeah he kicked in a dome and he kicked in Denver with high altitude where the ball travels. He clearly still has a big leg.

Certainly not saying cut him and just sign anybody, just curious if there's anybody good out there that we can keep "warm" in case Prater continues to struggle. The concern for me is the misses have been with the regular holder and snapper.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the advantage with him is the big leg but yeah he kicked in a dome and he kicked in Denver with high altitude where the ball travels. He clearly still has a big leg.

Certainly not saying cut him and just sign anybody, just curious if there's anybody good out there that we can keep "warm" in case Prater continues to struggle. The concern for me is the misses have been with the regular holder and snapper.
Does the big keg really matter? Especially when your about 7% less then what a good kicker should be at. Seems to me like the less % of success. Negates the occasional long FG??

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Yea so basically he kinda sucks
kickers are weird

it seems like for many of the young guys, they have to fail at a place or two before becoming good. Zane Gonzalez hit 90% for the Panthers last year.

but Matt Prater is who he is. He will hit between 80 and 84% of his kicks. the Cards are likely locked into below average on accuracy but have the upside of getting a few 55+ yarders out of him.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kickers are weird

it seems like for many of the young guys, they have to fail at a place or two before becoming good. Zane Gonzalez hit 90% for the Panthers last year.

but Matt Prater is who he is. He will hit between 80 and 84% of his kicks. the Cards are likely locked into below average on accuracy but have the upside of getting a few 55+ yarders out of him.
With a couple seasons mixed in showing he’s capable of below 80%

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the big keg really matter? Especially when your about 7% less then what a good kicker should be at. Seems to me like the less % of success. Negates the occasional long FG??

I don't think so if they can get someone else that's going to make 85% plus I'd be all in favor I'm just not sure that person is out there right now.

The concern with kickers is always they miss a couple and then just get psyched out. Prater is a veteran so that seems far less likely.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA