What is the most revered number in Cardinal history

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Fitz is great, maybe the greatest Cardinal of all time and ever will be but I say #81 is the greatest number in Cardinal history... Jackie Smith, Roy Green, Frank Sanders and freaking Anquan Boldin

Everyone in Cowboy land is making this big fuss about Ceedee Lamb being given or rather forced to wear 88 while he wants to emulate now Cardinal D-hop with 10... but what about us having another great WR wear the beloved 81 instead of being 'teen'agers

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score

I do not agree with that for the reason why Pat Tillman did not remain in football but felt a higher purpose. I get the whole respect for him by the Cardinal organization but I think it's ironic that people value him as a Cardinal when it's his decision to be something else with a higher conviction that left football behind. Personally, I think that statue outside Cardinal stadium should have him in his military garb and not a Cardinal uniform... his importance was outside the realm of football, but I respect and can see the other side too as a football fan :raccoon:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Fitz is great, maybe the greatest Cardinal of all time and ever will be but I say #81 is the greatest number in Cardinal history... Jackie Smith, Roy Green, Frank Sanders and freaking Anquan Boldin

Everyone in Cowboy land is making this big fuss about Ceedee Lamb being given or rather forced to wear 88 while he wants to emulate now Cardinal D-hop with 10... but what about us having another great WR wear the beloved 81 instead of being 'teen'agers

Fitz is the greatest Cardinal ever, indisputably.

That makes 11 the best number.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
He is has more records and awards than one can count plus he is lifetime Cardinal.
I like the Route 66, Here is the plate on my 67 Camaro.
It's #11, Larry Fitzgerald for me.

He is has more records and awards than one can count plus he is lifetime Cardinal.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Here's my authentic white #81 Roy Green with the Cardinal bird & State Flag on the sleeve. Their jerseys were made by MacGregor back then. I think I ordered that one around the 1990/1991 season?

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
Had to look that one up! Says here Summerall wore #83 and #85 for the Cardinals... never #81.

...dave

I got my info from an old Cardinals Media Guide I still have, while looking to confirm that my memory of Jackie Smith wearing 81 was correct. The media guide says Summerall wore #81 and also #85 for the Cards (he's not listed under #83). Honestly, I didn't even know Summerall ever played for the Cards. I thought he was a lifelong Giant. Regardless, it looks like either the Cards media guide is wrong or ProFootball Reference is. But whatever.

Despite Fitz's all-time greatness, he shares #11 with the likes of Jeff Blake, Kevin Kasper, and Neil O'Donohue, to name a few. So I'm gonna stick with #81, thanks!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It is 11.

I understand that a larger number of talented players have worn 81, but 11 will be a number that is cherished longer. I won't be shocked if they retire it.

I also understand why people would make an argument against 40, but it is recognized and viewed as special as well.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my info from an old Cardinals Media Guide I still have, while looking to confirm that my memory of Jackie Smith wearing 81 was correct. The media guide says Summerall wore #81 and also #85 for the Cards (he's not listed under #83). Honestly, I didn't even know Summerall ever played for the Cards. I thought he was a lifelong Giant. Regardless, it looks like either the Cards media guide is wrong or ProFootball Reference is. But whatever.
Interesting! I'd put my faith in the Media Guide also! PFR is a GREAT source but they could certainly have sourced inaccurate data from that far back.

On the other hand, here's some footage of the Cardinals practicing in 1953, with a good shot of #81... can't be sure, but it looks like it could be Summerall.

And this set of football cards shows Summerall wearing #21 (!) and 85. Seems as though he may have bounced between a few numbers back then.

...dave

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score

Here's my authentic white #81 Roy Green with the Cardinal bird & State Flag on the sleeve. Their jerseys were made by MacGregor back then. I think I ordered that one around the 1990/1991 season?

Sweet... I have the '80s away and home for the man :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard